Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 12:00 PM

123 posts, read 560,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
one way,
its funny you said you like pa,i found that pa amounts to philly on one side,pittsburg on the other and arkansas in between!!!
I like what ive seen of PA...Wilkes-Barre, the hiking trails, hills, etc. Cant say for the rest, because I havent been there, but im sure there are plenty of "questionable" areas. I know winter sucks there just as much as in OH.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:39 PM

976 posts, read 3,862,597 times
Quote:
one way,
its funny you said you like pa,i found that pa amounts to philly on one side,pittsburg on the other and arkansas in between!!!
Isnt that the truth... OneWay, i wouldnt suggest a move to PA. Coming from PA to Ohio i can tell you its much worse. Job oppurtunity is horrible and the cities, lol the two of them, arent that great. And didnt you say that the job oppurtunity in Maryland paid more, but yet you say that in Toledo your job pays more than it did in your old location? Interesting..... anyway i suggest a move to Arizona.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:36 PM

123 posts, read 560,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Isnt that the truth... OneWay, i wouldnt suggest a move to PA. And didnt you say that the job oppurtunity in Maryland paid more, but yet you say that in Toledo your job pays more than it did in your old location? Interesting..... anyway i suggest a move to Arizona.
Dont plan on moving to PA. Just enjoyed my few visits there.

I work for the same company as in MD. They offered me the transfer three years ago, with a raise, and I took it. I could have stayed in MD and kept the same wage. It was a significant raise, but it involved moving to OH. Now I really believe, like I said, money isnt everything.

I am visiting AZ again this winter for new years. Leaving right after Christmas and staying until the weekend after New Years. My employer also has a location there too, and I may be able to arrange a transfer. IF I cant arrange one, it will be time to find another job. They also have locations in GA, OR, TX, and IL. But Texas and Illinois are out.

Last edited by OneWayOut; 08-28-2006 at 01:57 PM..

Old 08-28-2006, 02:01 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,423 times
Quote:
i was watching andy griffith show and he said "hey opie do ya wanna getta pop?" if its good enough for mayberry it is good enough for me!
I grew up in MI where they say pop, but lived in NC for 12 years where Mayberry was set. I have always noticed that they said Pop in that episode, and commented that it was one of the only mistakes I saw them make in terms of recreating a small southern town.

PS- Most of my closest friends in College were from Ohio.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:17 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,378,263 times
HOW COULD IT BE A MISTAKE?ANDY WAS SOUTHERN FROM MT AIRY NC HE WOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT, MAybe its a generation type name, i know that back in the 70's it cost more for cold beer in nc . they asked if i wanted my six pack cold or hot???? i guess its the cost of ref. or maybe it was my yankee license plates?????

Old 08-29-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
HOW COULD IT BE A MISTAKE?ANDY WAS SOUTHERN FROM MT AIRY NC HE WOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT, MAybe its a generation type name.
No - I am pretty sure it was a mistake, but probably let in because some writer was from the Great Lakes region. My parents grew up in Western NC, not far from Mt. Airy and are are in the same age range as Andy G. They said they never heard the term Pop, until they moved up to Michigan. In that part of NC they usually called a soft drink, either just a drink or more often a Dope. When I lived in Western NC, I still heard some old folks refer to soda as Dope.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:35 AM

29 posts, read 162,553 times
That is funny!! I'm from Atlanta, home of Coca Cola. When Coke was first introduced, it actually was created by a pharmecist who marketed his product as a medicinal tonic. The main ingredient?? Cocaine!!
I find it funny that these slang terms have endured for approx. 110 yrs. (tonic,dope) almost a century after the active ingredient has been removed.
I love the study of words and language. In particular slang and its origin.
Sorry to be slightly nerdy, but I felt a need to share. ;-D

Old 08-29-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandahudson@yahoo.com View Post
That is funny!! I'm from Atlanta, home of Coca Cola. When Coke was first introduced, it actually was created by a pharmecist who marketed his product as a medicinal tonic. The main ingredient?? Cocaine!!
I find it funny that these slang terms have endured for approx. 110 yrs. (tonic,dope) almost a century after the active ingredient has been removed.
I love the study of words and language. In particular slang and its origin.
Sorry to be slightly nerdy, but I felt a need to share. ;-D
I knew that fact, but was trying to keep my cool on-line persona.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:54 PM

34 posts, read 150,369 times
Hey there OneWayOut - as a home-grown buckeye, as long as you're dissing our speech, don't forget "pony keg" or "please?" when we misunderstand someone.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycow View Post
Hey there OneWayOut - as a home-grown buckeye, as long as you're dissing our speech, don't forget "pony keg" or "please?" when we misunderstand someone.
Here in NYC, i ran into a couple of odd ones. When you don't understand someone you ask, "what happened". I thought that was the dumbest thing I ever heard, and now I do it. Also, if you are standing in a line in a store, you are standing "on-line" not in-line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio