Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 06:59 PM

88,752 posts, read 85,140,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
I agree. I'm the same way, but I'll give people two chances with greeting them ... some people aren't friendly. We have a few neighbors who don't talk to anybody and don't want to be bothered, nobody bothers with them. Most people are socially normal.

I find it odd when crossing paths with another guy when they don't even give a head nod. I have coworkers like this ... yes, everybody notices.

And, remember, a day without a redhead is like a day without sunshine.

Note: I used to like the index finger 'wave' when driving down the mountain at my uncle's place near Del Rio and Newport, TN.
We have a finger wave in New Jersey, too, but it's not the index.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:25 AM

19,765 posts, read 20,330,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
On a forum like this one, if I find myself going round and round with the same poster on multiple threads, I may put them on ignore. The issue I sometimes have, is the fact that you can still see that they posted and just click a thing to see the post and even engage with them...the ignore feature here is just giving you the opportunity to choose to ignore someone really. But it does at least serve as a reminder to me not to get too into it with someone since it evidently caused annoyance in the past.
The ignore feature on this site is useless, turning off DMs doesn't even work for me - I still get messages in the rep comment part on my posts from my City Data stalker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 08:55 AM

2,004 posts, read 995,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
The ignore feature on this site is useless, turning off DMs doesn't even work for me - I still get messages in the rep comment part on my posts from my City Data stalker.

You should then report them.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:25 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,040,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This has saved me from wasting a lot of my time. Sure, sometimes, their posts get re-posted in a reply, but it seems this rarely happens because I think many people have as low of an opinion of these posters as I do, judging by their reps-to-posts ratio.
This is almost always a sure-fire indicator of someone I end up putting on ignore, imperfect of a system as it is.

I don't visit or post in Religion or Politics forum but from a very unscientific sampling I've determined those two have the worst reps-to-post ratios by a country mile.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:09 PM

180 posts, read 59,991 times
I'd rather just get along with everybody,

but sometimes you have to treat a dong like a dong.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:37 AM

88,752 posts, read 85,140,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
DM a mod and report them.

Old 04-28-2024, 09:37 AM

2,584 posts, read 2,701,656 times
I think some people don't put others on ignore because they don't have a lot of people they interact with or they are just okay with how things play out. Those of us such as myself who like to interact more deeply in more of my social interactions, we might get worn out more easily from small talk. Setting up boundaries is totally okay. There's too much media that can bring our concentration and focus down. If I ignore, I'll still see the message anyway later on because I like to randomly look at other things online if they are friends with me and they put it up etc. I know that if it's important, I'll see it eventually or I'll know.

If someone is contacting me unnecessarily too often and I don't get enough benefit from said person, but if I still need to keep the relationship intact, then I would ignore someone. I used to be more hesitant about doing this because I wouldn't like it done to me, but my social boundaries have been disrespected enough that it's become kind of a necessity for me to ignore certain people's media or messages - even at work! I have a colleague who sends me 1-2 music videos every work day morning, and it's mostly "old fogey stuff" I am usually not crazy about. Sometimes, I just don't even respond at all now because I have actual work and learning that needs to get done that he is unable to help me with.

Putting in these kind of things in place is called "Digital Wellness."

Old 05-10-2024, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I don't seem to have all the problems with other people that you do. I've never had to put anyone on ignore.
I have one neighbor who, every time we talked, I found myself thinking more and more 'I don't like this guy.' He likes to throw insults around, isn't very interesting, he's mostly negative and to top it off, he's dumb.

I no longer acknowledge him.

Here's a guy whose wife would leave him whenever she felt 'the urge,' then return months later, yet he would bust my chops about me dating a girl (stunning, btw) who was mixed-race.

I can take a ribbing ... but after the third time, I hit back. So I finally looked at him after a few times of this and said to him 'Do you wanna talk about relationships?' That ended that, but as time went on it became clear that he's just a miserable bore who I don't need to bother with.

Once I hit that point, the person doesn't deserve a wave or a 'hello' from me.

Note: I see him around the corner tap and I'm not special - I've heard him get personally insulting with other people. I figure he gets a pass because they're drinking 'buddies.' Or maybe because he's a Vietnam vet ... He was dumb enough to volunteer.

Last edited by CalvinT; 05-10-2024 at 07:32 AM..

Old 05-10-2024, 08:56 AM

22,414 posts, read 29,539,202 times
Well one person I put on ignore is now reaching out to me and I'm just ignoring her lol

Old 05-10-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Well one person I put on ignore is now reaching out to me and I'm just ignoring her lol
Why did you stop bothering with her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships