Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 09:39 AM

14,980 posts, read 9,902,318 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those who waves to everyone and talks to everyone. You never know how a simple hello can make a world of difference to someone carrying some emotional pain, who just needs someone to 'see' them. Heck... they could be an angel for all I know, and it's a test.

That is not to say I trust everyone... and yes I conceal carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 09:43 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,086,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
I like your tenacity!

As long as nobody is getting hurt and nothing's illegal, do what works for you.
So holding a grudge, and expending energy on that sort of sociopath behavior benefits you? Somehow is a badge of honesty? What it really is...drinking poison believing the other person will die.

Old 04-20-2024, 09:46 AM

235 posts, read 76,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
If you mutually dislike each other, I agree.

If the neighbor doesn't know you can't stand them, waving to them "keeps the peace" so to speak.
There are neighbors, family members and coworkers who aren't my cup of tea, but I'll only cut them off if they personally do something to me. When I 'can't stand somebody,' it's for a reason. Then there's no reason for me to be fake friendly.

We all do what works for us.

Old 04-20-2024, 09:47 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,086,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I'm one of those who waves to everyone and talks to everyone. You never know how a simple hello can make a world of difference to someone carrying some emotional pain, who just needs someone to 'see' them. Heck... they could be an angel for all I know, and it's a test.

I'm pretty much the same (minus the ccw) and know that a wave costs me nothing but could mean a little or a lot to someone else. Or not. But it costs me nothing.

Nothing I write should be interpreted as accepting abusive behavior or actually letting abusive or otherwise unpleasant individuals into your life actively. It's more recognizing the "hide behind their bushes and scream nanananannana" isn't healthy.

Old 04-20-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:

I agree. I'm the same way, but I'll give people two chances with greeting them ... some people aren't friendly. We have a few neighbors who don't talk to anybody and don't want to be bothered, nobody bothers with them. Most people are socially normal.

I find it odd when crossing paths with another guy when they don't even give a head nod. I have coworkers like this ... yes, everybody notices.

And, remember, a day without a redhead is like a day without sunshine.

Note: I used to like the index finger 'wave' when driving down the mountain at my uncle's place near Del Rio and Newport, TN.

Old 04-20-2024, 10:09 AM

14,980 posts, read 9,902,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
I agree. I'm the same way, but I'll give people two chances with greeting them ... some people aren't friendly. We have a few neighbors who don't talk to anybody and don't want to be bothered, nobody bothers with them. Most people are socially normal.

I find it odd when crossing paths with another guy when they don't even give a head nod. I have coworkers like this ... yes, everybody notices.

And, remember, a day without a redhead is like a day without sunshine.

Note: I used to like the index finger 'wave' when driving down the mountain at my uncle's place near Del Rio and Newport, TN.
Well, still wave... with the finger properly extended. They'll never know. They'll never be respectful and you'll smile.

Old 04-20-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Well, still wave... with the finger properly extended. They'll never know. They'll never be respectful and you'll smile.
We always did. That's why I said I like it.

Old 04-20-2024, 03:18 PM

20,468 posts, read 14,803,862 times
On a forum like this one, if I find myself going round and round with the same poster on multiple threads, I may put them on ignore. The issue I sometimes have, is the fact that you can still see that they posted and just click a thing to see the post and even engage with them...the ignore feature here is just giving you the opportunity to choose to ignore someone really. But it does at least serve as a reminder to me not to get too into it with someone since it evidently caused annoyance in the past. If I've said basically the same thing in different words trying to get some deliberately obtuse individual to accept the point I was trying to make, like a few times, I have to grasp that I'm probably just being baited and let it go. There's one guy, I swear I feel like I'm talking to an argue-bot or something. Total waste of time.

But when it comes to other forms of social media that involve people I'm likely to have at least met in person, or real life interactions with others... It's pretty rare for someone to bother me enough that I truly want nothing further to do with them. It has happened, but it's not common. I may withdraw from interaction with some people for other reasons. When my ex and I broke up, I decided to withdraw from our former mutual friends...I did not want them to be in a position of having to make awkward choices, and I believed that he needed a support network. I can find new people, and I did pretty easily.

But there have been a few individuals I like quite well face to face, but when I saw their social media I decided, as I actually told one of them, "I will be a better friend to you if we only interact in the real world and not on the internet." This can be anything from political differences that they are far more vocal about online, or women who use social media to spread foolish data mining nonsense, MLM advertising, or religious messages. An older woman at work might be a delight to talk to on lunch, but on Facebook she's all, "copy and paste this message if you love Jesus!" I will respect her more if I don't have to see that.

Old 04-21-2024, 03:44 PM

20,010 posts, read 9,551,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
On a forum like this one, if I find myself going round and round with the same poster on multiple threads, I may put them on ignore. The issue I sometimes have, is the fact that you can still see that they posted and just click a thing to see the post and even engage with them...the ignore feature here is just giving you the opportunity to choose to ignore someone really. But it does at least serve as a reminder to me not to get too into it with someone since it evidently caused annoyance in the past. If I've said basically the same thing in different words trying to get some deliberately obtuse individual to accept the point I was trying to make, like a few times, I have to grasp that I'm probably just being baited and let it go. There's one guy, I swear I feel like I'm talking to an argue-bot or something. Total waste of time.

But when it comes to other forms of social media that involve people I'm likely to have at least met in person, or real life interactions with others... It's pretty rare for someone to bother me enough that I truly want nothing further to do with them. It has happened, but it's not common. I may withdraw from interaction with some people for other reasons. When my ex and I broke up, I decided to withdraw from our former mutual friends...I did not want them to be in a position of having to make awkward choices, and I believed that he needed a support network. I can find new people, and I did pretty easily.

But there have been a few individuals I like quite well face to face, but when I saw their social media I decided, as I actually told one of them, "I will be a better friend to you if we only interact in the real world and not on the internet." This can be anything from political differences that they are far more vocal about online, or women who use social media to spread foolish data mining nonsense, MLM advertising, or religious messages. An older woman at work might be a delight to talk to on lunch, but on Facebook she's all, "copy and paste this message if you love Jesus!" I will respect her more if I don't have to see that.
What I like about Ignore is that I can rapidly skip over the posts of those posters that post an average of about two dozen or more posts almost every single day, with statements I dislike for one reason or another at least 90% of the time. This has saved me from wasting a lot of my time. Sure, sometimes, their posts get re-posted in a reply, but it seems this rarely happens because I think many people have as low of an opinion of these posters as I do, judging by their reps-to-posts ratio.

Last edited by katharsis; 04-21-2024 at 03:54 PM..

Old 04-21-2024, 06:58 PM

88,883 posts, read 85,381,848 times
Quote:

This made me laugh. Smiling waving Dave, with a gun under his shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships