Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 08:37 AM

172 posts, read 846,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thanks for the very interesting information. It appears that his time in the area and the current growth msy have something to do with this project.

Could South Hill see similar development in the future or does the different character of that neighborhood keep it from being a possibility?
Development on South Hill is going to be limited for a few reasons:

1. Ithaca College's residential policies. IC has consistently sought to provide housing for most of its student on campus, and only seniors are allowed to live off campus (once in a while, non-seniors may be permitted to live off-campus in special circumstances, such as being married). 69% of students live on campus, and IC is also a smaller school than Cornell (6800 vs 20500, of which 57% of the 14,000 undergrad CU students live in dorms or affiliated housing; for grad students, it's less than 10%). The market is much smaller on South Hill.

2. Physical layout. IC is in a suburban area surrounded by a few connected urban streets, and then cul-de-sacs as you go southward, further away from the city. Collegetown is highly urbanized, and the city lifted parking requirements for the most centrally located properties earlier this year. This has set off a burst of development. In contrast, South Hill requires a commute to nearly everything, there's relatively little commercial activity nearby, and any large project would require vast amounts of parking, something that the town of Ithaca isn't about to encourage.

3. Local sentiment. The town of Ithaca is not quite comfortable with development near IC. Some, but not much. Since 2010, I'd guess about 20-25 units have been built with students in mind, and a few dozen non-student townhomes and single-family homes further south, mostly in Holly Creek. But town council members have expressed reservations with more duplexes and small apartment houses being built near IC, and there's strong resistance from permanent residents. IC moved to South Hill in the 1960s, when family housing was already somewhat established. Collegetown was first built out in the late 1800s after Cornell was founded, and has long been a student-oriented market, especially the properties nearest to Cornell. There's an implicit acceptance that student-oriented development will occur there, and it's even encouraged as a way to keep single-family homes in adjacent neighborhoods from being converted. Ctown has a few permanent residents that are unhappy that they're subjected to students, but it's a small number compared to South Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 03:04 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,052 times
Here's a link to info/pics about a recently completed apartment complex a couple of blocks away from Cornell's main campus:

Ithaca Builds « Thurston Avenue Apartments Final Building Photos «

Old 09-06-2014, 03:16 PM

93,222 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Here's a link to info/pics about a recently completed apartment complex a couple of blocks away from Cornell's main campus:

Ithaca Builds « Thurston Avenue Apartments Final Building Photos «
I like the old school, Tudor look of the apartments

Old 09-06-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I like the old school, Tudor look of the apartments
Me too.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:35 AM

I don't believe I've mentioned the Belle Sherman Cottages development before. It's located on a fairly small sliver of land within walking distance of Cornell University and a shopping center. The stand alone cottages start at about $330,000 and the Townhomes start in the mid $200,000s. Here's a link to IthacaBuilds project page including pics of the progress. They are selling much better than I thought they would.

Ithaca Builds « Belle Sherman Cottages «

Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I don't believe I've mentioned the Belle Sherman Cottages development before. It's located on a fairly small sliver of land within walking distance of Cornell University and a shopping center. The stand alone cottages start at about $330,000 and the Townhomes start in the mid $200,000s. Here's a link to IthacaBuilds project page including pics of the progress. They are selling much better than I thought they would.

Ithaca Builds « Belle Sherman Cottages «

Would you consider the Belle Sherman neighborhood the area where most Cornell faculty and staff live? If so, has it always been that way?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:03 AM

I know it has a fair share, but I think most live in Cornell Heights and Cayuga Heights. Of course I'm sure there's others who have moved further away from the city into the outer burbs.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I know it has a fair share, but I think most live in Cornell Heights and Cayuga Heights. Of course I'm sure there's others who have moved further away from the city into the outer burbs.
Cayuga Heights makes a lot of sense, as it is one of the most affluent municipalities in Upstate NY. Where is Cornell Heights located?

Old 09-12-2014, 12:12 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
Cornell Heights is the neighborhood in the City of Ithaca north from the Fall Creek Gorge to the Cayuga Heights village line. It's an imperceptible divide except for signs. My last dorm was actually inside Cayuga Heights.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:58 PM

Available Articles | Downtown Ithaca welcomes new eateries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York