Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:42 PM

93,222 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

With so much urban infill with these new projects going up, is it still not a possibility for the town and the city to consolidate as one Ithaca? It seems like it would make sense in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 06:59 AM

286 posts, read 1,118,320 times
I haven't heard a single rumble along those lines; I think it's pretty low on everyone's priority list.

in re: coffee, if the question is about a place to sit down with a laptop and a latte, there are three places on the Commons proper and 6 that I can think of that are in the outer ring, in sight of the pedestrian-only area (I'm not a coffee drinker, I may be missing a few). And there's at least one more place I can think of on the Commons where you can walk in and out to get coffee but that I wouldn't think of as a coffee shop (It serves waffles.) Lack of coffee is hardly a problem in Ithaca, and I don't think it's that indicative of any problems or lack of problems. At the moment, there are one or two closed storefronts, and the rest of them seem moderately active whenever I'm down there.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
The Town Hall isn't in the Town anyway. It would seem there would be no real identity issues (meaning, schools are already consolidated) to contend with for such a merger, unless there are some old fusty crusties in the Village of Cayuga Heights. Possibly a solution for that would be to reduce the Town to be coextensive with the Village limits. I'm sure somewhere in NYS there is an example of that, but it would probably be on the Island where I am less familiar with arrangements.

I also thought it was unfortunate that when the Village of Lansing incorporated that it chose the name "Lansing" despite being in an area with Ithaca address, Ithaca schools, and not in either Lansing address or schools. Plus it's south of South Lansing. That occurred before I was sentient so I don't know the thought process.

Maybe they should have called it "East Lansing," surely some in the Ithaca area would have appreciated that joke.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:03 AM

Such a merger would make this title truer: Ten Square Miles, Surrounded by Reality | FUSION Magazine

Old 06-17-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
The Town Hall isn't in the Town anyway. It would seem there would be no real identity issues (meaning, schools are already consolidated) to contend with for such a merger, unless there are some old fusty crusties in the Village of Cayuga Heights. Possibly a solution for that would be to reduce the Town to be coextensive with the Village limits. I'm sure somewhere in NYS there is an example of that, but it would probably be on the Island where I am less familiar with arrangements.

I also thought it was unfortunate that when the Village of Lansing incorporated that it chose the name "Lansing" despite being in an area with Ithaca address, Ithaca schools, and not in either Lansing address or schools. Plus it's south of South Lansing. That occurred before I was sentient so I don't know the thought process.

Maybe they should have called it "East Lansing," surely some in the Ithaca area would have appreciated that joke.
I also wonder if Cayuga Heights could be a municipality that is surrounded by the new Ithaca in a way that Hamtramck/Highland Park is surrounded by Detroit or Highland Park/University Park is surrounded by Dallas? I don't know of any examples of this in NY, but I don't know if it is impossible either.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:02 AM

Cayuga Heights borders Lansing (town and village) so this new municipality we're cooking up would only be on 3 sides.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Cayuga Heights borders Lansing (town and village) so this new municipality we're cooking up would only be on 3 sides.
Yes, that is correct and my badness. What would also be interesting is the school district aspect. Aren't there portions of the town of Ithaca in the Dryden SD?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:22 AM

No, parts of Town of Dryden (Varna, Ellis Hollow) are Ithaca SD though. Dryden SD goes right up to the Town line on Hanshaw Rd though, (this was the one-room school for that area: http://www.thehistorycenter.net/eightsquare.html ) so Sapsucker Woods Rd is split.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
No, parts of Town of Dryden (Varna, Ellis Hollow) are Ithaca SD though. Dryden SD goes right up to the Town line on Hanshaw Rd though, (this was the one-room school for that area: The History Center - Eight Square Schoolhouse ) so Sapsucker Woods Rd is split.
Thanks again, as I wasn't sure if parts of the town were in another SD and I didn't know that parts of Dryden were in the Ithaca City SD.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I haven't been to Ithaca in years. I will guess there is no coffee shop on The Commons because people who want coffee in the morning are not going to park in a parking deck near The Commons, and walk to the shop to get a quick cup of coffee. Especially when the weather stinks. Put diagonal parking there and presto, coffee shops!
There are apartments for rent in that area. Many are rented out by Cornell University and Ithaca College students and staff (not faculty, they live in nice homes and drive in to work. Many of the students and lower level staff walk into either campus or take the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York