Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:49 AM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Available Articles | Ithaca hopes for federal grant for improvements to streets, bus-system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 08:36 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,315,694 times
Here's a brief update, and check out the links under the renderings for more info.

First, a better rendering of the proposed Carey Building renovation:

News Tidbits 6/26: The Carey Building’s Addition, Revealed | Ithacating in Cornell Heights

A new building proposed for the waterfront on Inlet Isle:

Ithaca Builds « 323 Taughannock Boulevard Waterfront Project «

And another new apartment building for Collegetown neighborhood:

More Housing for Collegetown: 327 Eddy | Ithacating in Cornell Heights

Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 PM

Available Articles | New micro-retail stores formally open in downtown Ithaca

Old 07-06-2014, 07:35 PM

I don't know if this should be the place to put this, but I thought that for people, especially students, interested in the area/area colleges, this could help in terms of living arrangements: Advice for students looking for apartments near Cornell University

Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 AM

286 posts, read 1,118,243 times
ckh, that's a good article, and the info is consistent with what I know about places on that list. I did chuckle at this quote by one shocked student: "It seems like the university is trying to discourage private transportation by intentionally building parking areas away from schools." It's not a secret, and it's also not at all unusual at universities. They also discourage cars by having a pretty good bus pass program set up for students and faculty. It works pretty well.

One thing that's missing in that article, I think, is the fact that downtown housing can be very convenient by bus, with the #10 that shuttles from downtown to Cornell all day long.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchemgrrl View Post
ckh, that's a good article, and the info is consistent with what I know about places on that list. I did chuckle at this quote by one shocked student: "It seems like the university is trying to discourage private transportation by intentionally building parking areas away from schools." It's not a secret, and it's also not at all unusual at universities. They also discourage cars by having a pretty good bus pass program set up for students and faculty. It works pretty well.

One thing that's missing in that article, I think, is the fact that downtown housing can be very convenient by bus, with the #10 that shuttles from downtown to Cornell all day long.
I was wonder why Downtown wasn't mentioned, but it could also have to do with the students that they were asking as well. I believe that International Students tend to stay at the places mentioned in the article.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:06 PM

Here's a link to an Ithaca blog which has some info on other projects:

Odds and Ends Construction Updates, June 2014 | Ithacating in Cornell Heights

Old 07-12-2014, 04:20 PM

Jason at Ithaca Builds has a nice look at the progress of a long awaited (around seven years) 7 story apartment building next to the Cayuga parking garage (including plenty of pictures):

Ithaca Builds « Cayuga Place Residences Block Work «

Old 07-16-2014, 01:56 PM

It appears that Ithaca is in demand with Seniors, but things may be tight in terms of housing: With retirees eyeing urban setting, Ithaca faces housing crunch | WRVO Public Media

Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Too bad about the Commons. Contrary to what others have said, people DO in fact go to the Commons in the winter. I was there last February walking around outside in the cold and snow. I didn't die. Here's something that will really blow your mind. I drove an hour just to spend the day at the Commons! That was my entire plan for the day. Had a nice lunch and dinner while we were there as well. And there's ZERO problems getting a cup of coffee in Ithaca! People are there for much more than coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
With so much urban infill with these new projects going up, is it still not a possibility for the town and the city to consolidate as one Ithaca? It seems like it would make sense in the near future.
Why would a town resident want to pay city taxes? There would be a tax increase. Even 2 cents would put resident up in arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
It would seem there would be no real identity issues (meaning, schools are already consolidated) to contend with for such a merger, unless there are some old fusty crusties in the Village of Cayuga Heights. Possibly a solution for that would be to reduce the Town to be coextensive with the Village limits. I'm sure somewhere in NYS there is an example of that, but it would probably be on the Island where I am less familiar with arrangements.
It has been done on a VERY small scale. Seneca Falls remains the largest village in NY to be absorbed by a town. It took over 5 years to happen. The resolution passed with fewer that 100 votes deciding which way to go. There were only 6800 residents in the village. No colleges to contend with. it didn't cost the town taxpayers an arm and a leg because of the money from the landfill. Seneca Falls doesn't have anything especially compared to Ithaca. They have so many empty storefronts it's not funny. Probably close to half are currently empty on 5 & 20 right now. Waterloo recently attempted this and voters turned it down by a healthy margin.

I'm really curious as to what is going to happen to the building the truck drove into. Last I saw, nothing had been decided, but they thought it would have to come down. That would be a shame! I really hope it can be saved....it's not like buildings from the 1800's are popping up anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York