Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 AM

300 posts, read 659,694 times

Advertisements

for the other 18 1/2 years left with them .. lolol who knows... All i can say is wait it out.. Don't go killin yourself over it...

Old 03-31-2009, 02:02 PM

35 posts, read 62,760 times
union is good for letting scumbags keep their jobs. if you are a scumbag then they are great, if not worthless 90% of the time..

Old 03-31-2009, 04:10 PM

335 posts, read 748,220 times
alot of guys are retiring. alot of them. Are guys in the garage scaring them into retiring?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:44 PM

192 posts, read 401,501 times
Default Protect the job

It's crossed my mind , although the city wants to cut the routes anyhow, that they are hoping this will push the senior men out of their comfort zones. Get them out. So the city can keep as many of the junior guys as possible. Eventually all junior men will be at top pay but this buys them the next 3 years or so. The city would probably most rather see 1,000 guys leave through attrition.

The cuts are coming regardless. The bottom line is an 8 hour day. Over the years we have rightfully become accustomed, in my opinion, to elbow room in our day. I've rolled with 13 ton walking routes and enjoyed 6-8 ton light days. If you gave the city what they wanted the kickback SHOULD be a little free time. For all the trouble we save them. However, this looks to be no longer the case. I'm being told that the city can no longer stand by the half days with weights down and layoffs looming.

The problem for the junior men will be convincing the senior men of the situation at hand. Humans are selfish animals. Juniors want their routes protected, seniors want their way with EVERYTHING. Truth is, when a junior man see's a senior man run up the routes he is actually getting slapped in the face. They know the potential disaster on the horizon. They have convinced themselves to look the other way by their selfishness. They got time on the job so what the heck do YOU know?

Sure some of them are "nice guys" and whatever, whatever, whatever.... This is BUSINESS. This is your future, your livelihood, your back.

Tell the "runners" in your garage (senior or junior) what you think. Tell them that they are in effect helping you get laid off. Tell them that you don't want to get stuck with routes that are too long. Tell them to protect the job. How is it "their" job when they could leave now or very soon. If you got 15 years or so to go then you are in BIG trouble. This is YOUR JOB. NOT THEIRS.

IT'S AN 8 HOUR JOB. PROTECT THE JOB.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:09 PM

335 posts, read 748,220 times
Like I see alot of guys just leaving. I was wondering if they are afraid that new changes might impact their pension and they are trying to leave now before things change on them.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:22 PM

95 posts, read 210,989 times
Hey EPYON7280, I was just curious have you seen any supervisors retiring? I'm just wondering because I'm about 150 names away on the supervisor list..........Thanks!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 PM

876 posts, read 2,143,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK View Post
It's crossed my mind , although the city wants to cut the routes anyhow, that they are hoping this will push the senior men out of their comfort zones. Get them out. So the city can keep as many of the junior guys as possible. Eventually all junior men will be at top pay but this buys them the next 3 years or so. The city would probably most rather see 1,000 guys leave through attrition.

The cuts are coming regardless. The bottom line is an 8 hour day. Over the years we have rightfully become accustomed, in my opinion, to elbow room in our day. I've rolled with 13 ton walking routes and enjoyed 6-8 ton light days. If you gave the city what they wanted the kickback SHOULD be a little free time. For all the trouble we save them. However, this looks to be no longer the case. I'm being told that the city can no longer stand by the half days with weights down and layoffs looming.

The problem for the junior men will be convincing the senior men of the situation at hand. Humans are selfish animals. Juniors want their routes protected, seniors want their way with EVERYTHING. Truth is, when a junior man see's a senior man run up the routes he is actually getting slapped in the face. They know the potential disaster on the horizon. They have convinced themselves to look the other way by their selfishness. They got time on the job so what the heck do YOU know?

Sure some of them are "nice guys" and whatever, whatever, whatever.... This is BUSINESS. This is your future, your livelihood, your back.

Tell the "runners" in your garage (senior or junior) what you think. Tell them that they are in effect helping you get laid off. Tell them that you don't want to get stuck with routes that are too long. Tell them to protect the job. How is it "their" job when they could leave now or very soon. If you got 15 years or so to go then you are in BIG trouble. This is YOUR JOB. NOT THEIRS.

IT'S AN 8 HOUR JOB. PROTECT THE JOB.
Well said, the problem is at least in my district the biggest runners are the shop stewards. They know, they just dont care. I just hope they drop dead on the route. It might be cold and mean but hey they are trying to take food out of my child's mouth. So F them.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:15 PM

876 posts, read 2,143,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
alot of guys are retiring. alot of them. Are guys in the garage scaring them into retiring?
You just made my day. Thanks. Are more retiring this time then last year?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 PM

32 posts, read 135,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxguy View Post
Hey EPYON7280, I was just curious have you seen any supervisors retiring? I'm just wondering because I'm about 150 names away on the supervisor list..........Thanks!
what # are they up to?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:42 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,067,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
Like I see alot of guys just leaving. I was wondering if they are afraid that new changes might impact their pension and they are trying to leave now before things change on them.
I thought nobody retires on this job...why all of a sudden?..attrition perhaps? the way to trim the budget is to cut the fat from the top and not to layoff the last hired.

I did take offense to what DSNYSANMAN said,there is a huge difference bewteen somebody dropping dead on the job and your kid having less video games to play with. What you say comes back to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City