Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:31 PM

192 posts, read 401,825 times

Advertisements

It appears, as of right now, that Tier 5 has been defeated. I heard that we were very close recently but now it is pretty much dead. This is a good thing. Not only because you would work longer and not calculate overtime towards your pension. There was a theory gaining traction that Tier 5 would circumvent the current state laws and prevent anyone currently under Tier 4 from being rehired under Tier 4. In other words, if you were laid off they would try and bring you back as a "new hire".

However the defeat of Tier 5 might be the birth of layoffs, cuts on Sundays, cuts of garbage routes. Prepare.

Prior city time does not keep you from getting laid off.

Teletypes and borough emails are making the rounds regarding relays. Once relays are completed you will be directed to M.L.P.

Peace....

Old 03-30-2009, 04:03 PM

233 posts, read 536,019 times
i am almost thru with my 3rd year. even in my short time, i have seen some changes. i heard some talk (more recent talks) about ez-packs going down to 1 person. i happen to be on a ezp tissue, bottom seniority but have 5 beat by time on the tissue. personally, i love my tissue, days year-round (mostly during snow) makes up for no extra $$. any body have more info if this is true and what would happen?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:15 PM

389 posts, read 775,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK View Post
It appears, as of right now, that Tier 5 has been defeated. I heard that we were very close recently but now it is pretty much dead. This is a good thing. Not only because you would work longer and not calculate overtime towards your pension. There was a theory gaining traction that Tier 5 would circumvent the current state laws and prevent anyone currently under Tier 4 from being rehired under Tier 4. In other words, if you were laid off they would try and bring you back as a "new hire".

However the defeat of Tier 5 might be the birth of layoffs, cuts on Sundays, cuts of garbage routes. Prepare.

Teletypes and borough emails are making the rounds regarding relays. Once relays are completed you will be directed to M.L.P.

Peace....
Bloomberg indicated today no teacher layoffs....don't know if that helps our cause or not.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:22 PM

372 posts, read 831,302 times
relays to mlp lol yeh ok have fun with that i will stretch the relays till over time lol.....this job sounds like it is changing for the worseee....if i do get laid off i will wait for fdny to call if they ever do with list number 25$$ but i am seriously thinking of joining NYPD now that they are trying to change everything on this job over nite its sick...the sickest thing is that when this job does change there will be morons who actually do extra work nd still run up the relays nd run up the extra lines of garbage and still dump there truck on shift....hellooooooo people time to work at a human pace stop rushing and show the city how good they have it the ball is still on our court to do something about changes the rule book is there to either help us or hurt us lets use it to help us take ur breaks take ur lunch have one man up and one man down on collection....warrrr time guys hopefully people realize this....

Old 03-30-2009, 05:37 PM

876 posts, read 2,145,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK View Post

Peace....
The city can do whatever it wants but I dont understand how the city could layoff people in tier 4 and bring them back to tier 5. We pay twice for the 20 year penision. Would they give back that extra money we pay into it? Also badge city workers does count for time when it comes to layoffs. Mta, nypd, fypd and dot.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:59 PM

656 posts, read 1,414,302 times
just heard about relays tonight....supposedly in an email from doherty....he reminded all garage supervisors that there is no agreement on a set number of relays you have to do. the email said that relays is a cleaning function...if time permits for another relay it is to be done or have MLP assigned.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 PM

656 posts, read 1,414,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
well if we get laid off in july jus try to enjoy the summer...collect your enemployment which will be more then i take home...get a job off the books and just wait to get hired back...we will get hired back plus....(hope it doesnt happen but just a situation) july would be my one year so say they laid us off for 2 years when we come back we get 3 year salary not one year you can move up a max of 2 years only....
where did u get the idea that we get that pay raise? my friend told me u just go back to where you were in terms of pay...its called a lapse in service

Old 03-31-2009, 04:29 AM

192 posts, read 401,825 times
Default Pay Lapse

In our contract is DOES state that if a sanitation worker is laid off he will return under the pay scale, "as if he never left" for up to 2 years. It does say that. However, when the 500 men were laid off after 9/11, this was apparently waived. A friend of mine who was one of the ones laid off, asked about the rule in the contract when they were returning to the job. In front of a full class at CRS the question was asked of a delegate. The delegate responded, " your lucky you have a job". I have often wondered that maybe it was waived by the union, maybe as a bargaining chip to bring the men back quicker. The longest anyone was laid off for was 6 months. However it does state that we are protected in our contract for such an event. You are to return to the pay scale as if you never left. Up to 2 years in raises. If you are laid off at step 2, and you are laid off for 2 years, you should return at step 4.

I'm going to find out more information today.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 AM

289 posts, read 747,089 times
Default Layoff's back in 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
The city can do whatever it wants but I dont understand how the city could layoff people in tier 4 and bring them back to tier 5. We pay twice for the 20 year penision. Would they give back that extra money we pay into it? Also badge city workers does count for time when it comes to layoffs. Mta, nypd, fypd and dot.
GUY'S LAYED OFF " 400 MEN" WERE IN TIER ONE, WHEN THEY WERE HIRED BACK THEY WERE ALL PUT INTO TIER TWO ,TIER 0NE WAS 20 YEARS AND YOU RETIRED ,TIER TWO WAS 25 YEAR'S AND THEN YOU RETIRE YEAR'S LATER THEY GAVE THEM BACK THE 20 YEAR PENSION,GOOD LUCK PEOPLE .

Old 03-31-2009, 08:20 AM

372 posts, read 831,302 times
i found it in the lil book the union book...I was scanning threw the book to see if there was anything worth knowing in there nd read that so thought that was pretty good....If the union cant prevent us from getting laid off and can't get us the money it says we should get in the case of a layoff and if they cant defend me till fter my 18month probation what the hell am i paying union dues for lol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City