Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:08 PM

876 posts, read 2,144,794 times

Advertisements

This is a very real and serious issue. All this running and dumping has changed this job. From sources I would prefer not to disclose management is talking about the possiblity of having districts that have a dump time before lunch to do 2 trucks. This will result in the work force being cut by 20 percent. If this happens anyone who took this exam wont get hired period. Also in the future you will hear more stories about sanitation workers dropping dead on the route while they are working. It will take years to hire back everyone who gets layed off. This will be the final nail in the coffin for this job. People are working like animals and management plans on treating them as such. I would like to thank all the senior men who has helped management destory this job. Hope you drop dead on the route.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:58 PM

289 posts, read 747,033 times
Default Local 831 union meeting's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv3123 View Post
does anyone know if 831 ever has meetings for the members . i never here about any from shop stewards in my district ?
I NEVER SAW OR HEARD OF UNION MEMBER MEETING'S, ONLY SHOP STEWARD'S MEETING'S AT THE UNION HALL ,THE UNION HALL IS NOT LARGE ENOUGH TO HOLD ALL UNION MEMBER'S THEY WOULD HAVE TO RENT A LARGE HALL.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:27 PM

32 posts, read 135,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED SANMAN View Post
I NEVER SAW OR HEARD OF UNION MEMBER MEETING'S, ONLY SHOP STEWARD'S MEETING'S AT THE UNION HALL ,THE UNION HALL IS NOT LARGE ENOUGH TO HOLD ALL UNION MEMBER'S THEY WOULD HAVE TO RENT A LARGE HALL.
thanks a lot!!!! you would think @ $14.50 per member a week they could afford to do it once or twice a year or maybe find some city owned property?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:09 PM

364 posts, read 740,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
This is a very real and serious issue. All this running and dumping has changed this job. From sources I would prefer not to disclose management is talking about the possiblity of having districts that have a dump time before lunch to do 2 trucks. This will result in the work force being cut by 20 percent. If this happens anyone who took this exam wont get hired period. Also in the future you will hear more stories about sanitation workers dropping dead on the route while they are working. It will take years to hire back everyone who gets layed off. This will be the final nail in the coffin for this job. People are working like animals and management plans on treating them as such. I would like to thank all the senior men who has helped management destory this job. Hope you drop dead on the route.
Very Touching.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 PM

13 posts, read 31,769 times
Default Gone are the good old days!!!

Its a bone crushing, back breaking, gut busting service we provide. We make it look easy, but it aint easy. I would like to thank all active and retired san workers for the vital daily service they provide to this city. I have 9 years in and have seen dramatic changes over the last two contracts. I am very afraid of what 831 will negotiate this next go around in 2011.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:06 AM

147 posts, read 299,459 times
My bro works about 2-3 hours a day on this job. Id say thats pretty easy. But thats just him.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 AM

57 posts, read 158,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMansBro View Post
My bro works about 2-3 hours a day on this job. Id say thats pretty easy. But thats just him.
But maybe 2-3 hours of hauling tons of trash is equivalent to 8 hours of sitting at a desk So in the end, it's still a days work.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:40 PM

16 posts, read 33,592 times
And I'm sure He'd love for you to post that in a public forum with all the Mod cut: language going on right now..Good timing sanmansbro..Be sure to mention your post to him when he's standing on the unemployment line..

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-29-2009 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 03-29-2009, 06:27 PM

148 posts, read 268,742 times
a supervisor told me that when they layoff workers they consider keeping prior city workers and veterans. is there any truth to this? if so maybe not everyone from the recent classes will be layed off

Old 03-29-2009, 06:35 PM

473 posts, read 933,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwolf View Post
a supervisor told me that when they layoff workers they consider keeping prior city workers and veterans. is there any truth to this? if so maybe not everyone from the recent classes will be layed off
I heard the same thing from a supervisor in my garage. He mentioned prior city time he didn't say anything about vets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City