Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 07:14 AM

34,164 posts, read 47,398,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

Well done!

Agree. It did run better. 100% better
I can testify to that as a born ,raised,worked,retired New Yorker.

I worked in the buttholes of this city that no one would dare to walk during the darkest of hours.
I worked in areas of high crime to watch them disappear under "Broken Windows Policy "

As you mentioned Homeless and Druggies were removed.
In addition,

Hookers Dealers,and mobsters were also extinguished.

N.Y.C. ran it's best during the Administration years under Rudolph Giuliani (2) and Mike Bloomberg (3)
accounting for a total of 20 years.

20 years under an administration that solved the problem.
Not the one in office now that prefers to have criminals pitch
their tents elsewhere rather than putting them behind bars where they belong.

The exodus of half a million people , myself included,
as the only response to this simple but somehow complicated
riddle our current Mayor can not seem to solve.
Haha. You really think those two are talented in running cities? Crime is a by-product of capitalism, you will never escape crime and social issues unless you go off the grid. All Giuliani and Bloomberg did was usher in legal migrants from other parts of America to work for cheap.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 12:19 PM

1,158 posts, read 871,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But they've always been that way. That's not "becoming" dangerous. That's same old same old. Homeless people hang out on transit hubs. Airports, too, but fewer of them there.

Here's a NYC story from 40+ years ago when I worked at the PABT. They were putting the north wing on, and some of the work was done at night when there were limited bus operations. It was the night before Thanksgiving.

Two of the engineers working overnight took the stairs from one floor to another and found one of the homeless regulars dead in the stairwell.

They went to the PAPD command in the terminal and reported the dead guy. The cop starts complaining that now he has to do paperwork that might keep him.there beyond the end of his shift, blah blah blah. But OK, thanks for letting me know.

Dennis and Rich continue on with monitoring the night contractor, and a few hours later, they cross 9th Avenue to a deli to get coffee. And there on the sidewalk, is the same dead guy--now in NYPD's jurisdiction.

Before they left that morning, the dead guy was back in the PABT, apparently ready to be written up in the next shift, and the night cops of both NYPD and PAPD were home for Thanksgiving.
Not exactly true. Under Guilliani and especially Bloomberg, NYC was much much safer. Violent assaults and murder was rare in tourist areas. Why? Because PD had less restrictions, stop and frisk resulted in folks who had guns on them sent to jail and KEPT in jail, and of course there was no BS bail reform back then either. As soon as bail reform started, crime in NYC went up significantly and DID indeed become more dangerous. I notice it first hand, so no one can tell me different. Any veteran cop will tell you the same thing.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:42 PM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Not exactly true. Under Guilliani and especially Bloomberg, NYC was much much safer. Violent assaults and murder was rare in tourist areas. Why? Because PD had less restrictions, stop and frisk resulted in folks who had guns on them sent to jail and KEPT in jail, and of course there was no BS bail reform back then either. As soon as bail reform started, crime in NYC went up significantly and DID indeed become more dangerous. I notice it first hand, so no one can tell me different. Any veteran cop will tell you the same thing.
My story predates Bloomberg or Giuliani. I am old.
But my point was that transit hubs and terminals always have been gathering places for the homeless and the druggies. Every day, tens of thousands of people with jobs and money move through them, and if you are one of the people on the edge of society that survives by begging or taking from others, you go to an area where there is a concentration of possibilities to do that. Transit facilities are exactly that.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:23 PM

16,164 posts, read 6,906,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Haha. You really think those two are talented in running cities? Crime is a by-product of capitalism, you will never escape crime and social issues unless you go off the grid. All Giuliani and Bloomberg did was usher in legal migrants from other parts of America to work for cheap.
I can only give a glowing approval to Rudy handling crime and Mike creating business.
Other members under their tenures deserve the rest of the credit.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:11 AM

34,164 posts, read 47,398,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I can only give a glowing approval to Rudy handling crime and Mike creating business.
Other members under their tenures deserve the rest of the credit.
You give people too much credit

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-02-2024, 07:07 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,079,311 times
You preferred NY in the 70s and 80s to the later years? Okay... How old were you then?

Old 05-02-2024, 08:17 AM

52 posts, read 10,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You preferred NY in the 70s and 80s to the later years? Okay... How old were you then?
Yes. I know it’s hard to believe but some prefer a more crime ridden NYC.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:28 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,079,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJewNYC View Post
Yes. I know it’s hard to believe but some prefer a more crime ridden NYC.
Some people are just contrarians.

Old 05-03-2024, 04:19 AM

16,164 posts, read 6,906,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Some people are just contrarians.
Hahahaha........too funny.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:17 PM

606 posts, read 2,096,843 times
Given the earthquake of Covid and the litany of criminal justice softenings between 2014 and 2020, I am pleasantly surprised that NYC is doing as well as it is.
But, many of the concerns raised in this thread need to be addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City