Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 06:06 PM

2,602 posts, read 1,205,579 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately in a city of 8 or 9 million people there will be crime. We must do all we can not to place ourselves in harms way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 07:18 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Unfortunately in a city of 8 or 9 million people there will be crime. We must do all we can not to place ourselves in harms way.
None of the women getting randomly punched in the head walking down the sidewalk in the middle of the day, placed themselves in harms way. They were all ambushed without warning, including the lady who now has her jaws wired shut due to a broken jaw. It is not like they were buying drugs in the hood in the dead of night.

Ditto for the people pushed in front of subway trains, or pushed down stairs, or had their heads smashed with hammers, or stabbed in the back. Most all of these people were ambushed out of the blue by violent crazy people giving no indication of their violent intentions before they sprang on their innocent victims. Almost all of these people were just standing on subway platforms, or walking along public thoroughfares, minding their own business.

None of these people "put themselves in harms way". They did what they have typically done for decades without having problems. It is the crazy drugged-out homeless and all of the violent ex-cons release on cashless bail pending their 7 or 8 open court appearances, that has changed.

It is not like these people put themselves into dangerous situations. The danger came to them under what used to be ordinary circumstances.

Old 04-06-2024, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
None of the women getting randomly punched in the head walking down the sidewalk in the middle of the day, placed themselves in harms way. They were all ambushed without warning, including the lady who now has her jaws wired shut due to a broken jaw. It is not like they were buying drugs in the hood in the dead of night.
The Tiktok "assaults" are misdemeanor assaults, not assaults leading to serious injury.

Old 04-06-2024, 08:21 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Are you comfortable walking around at 2am even in South Brooklyn?
Lets be realistic. Most people aren’t walking the streets of their neighborhoods at 2am, safe or not. This is the case in the city and in the suburbs.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:37 PM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Lets be realistic. Most people aren’t walking the streets of their neighborhoods at 2am, safe or not. This is the case in the city and in the suburbs.
Pre COVID and especially during the Bloomberg years, I’d have no problem walking the streets at 2am. Now, I wouldn’t take the chance unless I absolutely had to.

Of course most aren’t walking the streets at 2am but that is a sign of a safe city.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
The Tiktok "assaults" are misdemeanor assaults, not assaults leading to serious injury.
You can’t be serious?

Old 04-07-2024, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
You can’t be serious?

Old 04-07-2024, 08:34 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I would say this--

New York City is a huge city--a global city--with a population of 8.5 million people. It's always had crime, and in areas, can be dangerous.

Safety is relative: what is considered scary and unsafe to "person A" may not be scary or unsafe at all to "person B."

I think folks who think NYC has declined in safety, and is a scary big city, will not visit here, in general.

I live in the Carroll Gardens area of Brooklyn, and the only times the past 3 1/2 years I have ever felt a bit uncomfortable, is on the subway a few times with mentally unstable homeless people harassing others. That is what the governor and mayor have really cracked down on, and I do have to say, there are not as many of those types of folks roaming the subways much anymore.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:54 AM

No one should be surprised NYC has become a cr@phole, not even close the Giuliani or Bloomberg years. It seems NYers will defend crime, homelessness, drug addicts and somewhat enjoy all that.

Truth Evades most NYers, uncaring about crime victims, families torn apart by drugs, children that can’t use public parks, subways that see one horrific crime after another, stores ransacked by shoplifters, all seem normal to NYers.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I would say this--

New York City is a huge city--a global city--with a population of 8.5 million people. It's always had crime, and in areas, can be dangerous.

Safety is relative: what is considered scary and unsafe to "person A" may not be scary or unsafe at all to "person B."

I think folks who think NYC has declined in safety, and is a scary big city, will not visit here, in general.

I live in the Carroll Gardens area of Brooklyn, and the only times the past 3 1/2 years I have ever felt a bit uncomfortable, is on the subway a few times with mentally unstable homeless people harassing others. That is what the governor and mayor have really cracked down on, and I do have to say, there are not as many of those types of folks roaming the subways much anymore.
Carrol Gardens is one of the wealthier and nicer neighborhoods Brooklyn. Would you walk your neighborhood at 2am on a regular basis?

10 million isn’t even a very large city in 2024. We’re not even top 100 in population density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: