Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 03:29 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,693,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallimi030 View Post
Good Evening. Is it me or is New York City becoming dangerous with rising crime rates?. In the last few years I feel that New York City is changing for the worse and not for the better especially after the COVID-19 pandemic. Too many mentally unstable people and aggressive homeless on the subway trains and stations too. And now with the recent migrant crisis it’s gotten more out of control.
The short answer is no.

By the way, I suggest you look at NYC crime rates for the last 50 years.

"Widespread anxiety obscures the fact that crime is still at decades-long lows."
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...-stat-reality/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 11:02 PM

3,511 posts, read 1,418,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I was murdered 3 times in NYC since the pandemic
I’m so sorry to hear! Are you ok?

Old 04-12-2024, 08:54 AM

2,632 posts, read 1,231,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I’m so sorry to hear! Are you ok?
Yes, I'm okay.

I'll live

Old 04-12-2024, 08:56 AM

187 posts, read 451,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The short answer is no.

"Widespread anxiety obscures the fact that crime is still at decades-long lows."
In my view, this data is close to useless. Because so many petty crimes are not reported, and a lot of crimes that make the headlines are random, because some of them are committed by mentally challenged individuals. In my experience, the last time I felt this unsafe was in the mid 90s. And I don't recall seeing ice cream and toothpaste under lock in the major pharmacy stores even then, maybe I simply don't remember.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:07 AM

3,226 posts, read 1,687,994 times
Quote:
The short answer is no.

I don't think anybody would believe you, since all they need to do is talk a good walk around town to see what can happen if they were not in a safe zone.

Crime rate only applies to reported crimes. I don't think a lot of crimes against migrants and by migrants are reported accurately. And even the Mayor knows that, so he's trying to do a lot more but if only that bastard Alvin Braggs wouldn't keep letting criminals out. Then NYC will be safer.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:09 AM

12 posts, read 6,935 times
Weren't a lot of people complaining NYC was becoming too bland and gentrified? It lacked the old grit of the old decades.

Post a few crime stories and they're not happy?

Old 04-13-2024, 06:57 AM

1,302 posts, read 342,865 times
Quote:
The short answer is no.

During the Civil war, at least 600,000 soldiers died. Is it correct of me to assume that any war the US fights where less than 600,000 soldiers are killed would be OK with you?

The argument you're using is lazy and misleading.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:15 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,407,837 times
I get into NYC every once in a while and stay about a week, so have a sort of a time-lapse view of the city. I think there has been a spotty deterioration, ie, not everywhere. Subway has definitely gotten much more unpleasant and dangerous, and I don't use it any more (except that I must descend into a subway station periodically to refill the fare card - I still use the express bus). Some areas have gotten better, I think (eg, parts of Chelsea were still sketchy before Covid, getting then extremely infested with mental illness during Covid, but now actually seem safer than before Covid). Overall, I think safety in NYC has not deteriorated as badly as in the West Coast cities, and again, the deterioration in NYC seems to be spotty.

Regarding the outer lands (ie, outside Manhattan), I have a small condo in an unusual area of the Bronx, and that neighborhood has improved during and after Covid, possibly in connection with renovations pursued during the epidemic, with increased rents... although someone told me there were some homeless people congregating in front of one of the buildings; however, I have not seen that personally.

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-13-2024 at 09:25 AM..

Old 04-13-2024, 11:20 AM

1,302 posts, read 342,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I don't think anybody would believe you, since all they need to do is talk a good walk around town to see what can happen if they were not in a safe zone.

Crime rate only applies to reported crimes. I don't think a lot of crimes against migrants and by migrants are reported accurately. And even the Mayor knows that, so he's trying to do a lot more but if only that bastard Alvin Braggs wouldn't keep letting criminals out. Then NYC will be safer.
Take a look at *reckless driving* in NYC. Barely enforced so not in official statistics so according to some it’s not an issue.

There are currently wide swaths of the criminal code which simply aren’t enforced so they never show up in any statistics.

This is a tactic of the racial Marxists. Don’t enforce the criminal code and claim that crime isn’t an issue.

Old 04-14-2024, 09:03 AM

17,244 posts, read 15,446,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
I can go on YouTube now and watch countless videos of how great Lebanon is. You wouldn’t know rhit country is has been a failed state for close to a decade now.

Unless you live here day to day, you can’t know.
I spend probably a total of 50 days a year there. I think that’s more than enough to form a valid opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: