Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 05:07 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,422,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Queens & Brooklyn.
And they drive to Manhattan during the week? I have so many questions. What's the allure? No good take out in Brooklyn or Queens?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 05:09 PM

270 posts, read 146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perp smasher View Post
Pretty soon the toll zone will be anything area south of 96 ST. then it will be all of Manhattan, then it will include all boros. All in the name of congestion. Pay just for the privilege of driving in this beautiful city.
15 minute cities...as per UN, WEF, etc...guidlines.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:36 PM

830 posts, read 457,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Everyone has to budget!
You chose to live and/ or work here. You don't want to deal with what the MTA does, pack up the car and move away where the MTA doesn't have jurisdiction on your life.
I know you're serious with your statement. But can't you see more and more how much less revenue the city is seeing each year due to mismanagement?

They are creating this congestion pricing tolls, pushing more and more people underground. But the subways are a homeless/criminal zoo. That is the reason many companies moved out, due to the complaints of the workers fears and concerns. This will only exasperate that.

The lawlessness above ground means those that walk, and especially those that work into the darker hours before heading home, will have to deal with more illegals/mental patients/criminals/addicts/etc. More will leave.

Street parking going up each day, parking garages increasing costs, taxes being raised but services getting cut... what do they think many will do? Leave.

The city has lost over 150 financial companies in the last 5 years, and estimates are that another 150 will be gone by 2027. Who is replacing that revenue? The NYSE has been in negotiations with Florida to move down there? The Miami Stock Exchange? That would be a horror for NY. The domino effect will screw the small business owners that rely on those workers.

I've made statements before, and I know there are those who try to shut me down here. But ask yourself... is the city better today than it was in 2019? Do you think it will be better in 2027?

I loved that city for over 40 years. I left 2 years ago but still have some friends and co-workers who haven't left yet but keep me up on the reality of it today. The city is on a bad path, and it needs a change in leadership soon or the bad days will bury it.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:43 PM

5,882 posts, read 2,995,366 times
Too late. The cancer has spread, not just this state, but the whole country.
But dont take my word for it. Just look at history of national debt. https://fiscaldata.treasury.gov/amer...deral%20budget.

Country is owned and not by you and I.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:17 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,076,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perp smasher View Post
Pretty soon the toll zone will be anything area south of 96 ST. then it will be all of Manhattan, then it will include all boros. All in the name of congestion. Pay just for the privilege of driving in this beautiful city.
Hmm… NYC has many picturesque beautiful areas, just that they aren’t most areas. I wouldn’t call NYC beautiful.

Btw, a place doesn’t have to be beautiful in order to offer a nice life there. In fact, there are plenty of beautiful places that are too boring or otherwise horrible places to live there. Great place to visit, but don’t push it.

NYC in winter, cloudy and drizzing is as horrible as horrible can be.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:44 PM

15,881 posts, read 14,532,290 times
National debt, denominated in your own currency, controlled by your own laws, is not the same as, say, personal credit card debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
But dont take my word for it. Just look at history of national debt. https://fiscaldata.treasury.gov/amer...deral%20budget.

Old 03-14-2024, 02:32 AM

5,882 posts, read 2,995,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
National debt, denominated in your own currency, controlled by your own laws, is not the same as, say, personal credit card debt.
What it does say is that the whole thing is a bubble. Quantitative easing won’t no more.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:12 AM

78,659 posts, read 60,852,359 times
The cheaters just dodge the tolls with fake temporary paper tags.

NYC just heaping on more taxes. *shrug* not my problem.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:19 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,174,445 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Quote:

What it does say is that the whole thing is a bubble. Quantitative easing won’t no more.
What is needed is the people to get active and take control. The late 1970's Sagebrush Rebellion is not a bad place to start. If people, I mean sheople, act like sheep they'll get sheered. Even if there is no actual corruption people get carried away with delusions of grandeur, but only if they are spending other people's money or restricting other people. That's why you get palaces for subway stations on the Second Avenue line, and Grand Central Madison. Robert Moses knew how to do it; build facilities that get the job done and not much more.

Old 03-14-2024, 12:38 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,732,808 times
While driving will get increasingly expensive but it's a choice when there are options in NYC. I argued with folks from the subburbs, there's no reason to drive into manhattan. You can easily park somewhere and take a train or uber in. I sometimes park outside of city for free and take a train in and then back out to get my car to drive back into manhattan. Then they will start to expand congestion pricing zones to all 5 boros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City