Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 10:56 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,737,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The average person living in the outer boroughs is not driving into Manhattan during the weekdays, or during rush hour. Most people are taking the train into the city for work or play. Your post is giving the impression that people making $50K or less are driving into the city during peak hours, or even driving into the city at all.
We'll find out this summer. My bet is that nothing changes with congestion. Majority of those cars going into NYC during 5am-7pm are Trucks, contractors, delivery trucks, Ubers, and government workers. I have rarely ever driven into NYC during rush hour because it's not fun.

What's gonna really hurt NYC will be from 7-9pm hours that's when people actually drive into NYC to wine and dine. If they get into NYC by subway or uber they will cut back because the amount of $$ it cost to Uber will go up. During 6-9pm, it cost around $35-45 to get from LGA into manhattan, soon it will be $50.

The traffic will get worse after 9pm once the congestion toll is over and people will be jamming the bridges and tunnels to get in. And we may see restaurants will have to increase Happy Hour discounts to get people to show up early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 02:17 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,427,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
We'll find out this summer. My bet is that nothing changes with congestion. Majority of those cars going into NYC during 5am-7pm are Trucks, contractors, delivery trucks, Ubers, and government workers. I have rarely ever driven into NYC during rush hour because it's not fun.

What's gonna really hurt NYC will be from 7-9pm hours that's when people actually drive into NYC to wine and dine. If they get into NYC by subway or uber they will cut back because the amount of $$ it cost to Uber will go up. During 6-9pm, it cost around $35-45 to get from LGA into manhattan, soon it will be $50.

The traffic will get worse after 9pm once the congestion toll is over and people will be jamming the bridges and tunnels to get in. And we may see restaurants will have to increase Happy Hour discounts to get people to show up early.
I would like to know what's convincing you that 7-9 PM are such important hours. How many people you think are driving into Manhattan on a weeknight to have dinner? I presume the numbers would be quite low for any married couples with school-aged children in the Tri-State area. So that would leave the single/or couple sans child(ren) demographic, lets say 18-35, and definitely towards the more mature side of that spectrum. Outer boroughs and Jersey combined.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-12-2024, 12:51 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,536,317 times
I live on the UES, and occasionally need to get to Jersey City. This involves driving down the FDR, around the horn at the bottom, up West St to the Holland Tunnel. I have to pay the Tunnel toll, which is already too high. Now I'd have to pay $15 just to get to and from the Tunnel in Manhattan (and likely each way.) This means I'll have to go massively out of my way to the GWB.

In the end this is going to succeed so much it will fail miserably. They'll drive so many people out Manhattan south of 59th, it'll be a ghost town. People won't switch to transit. They just won't come.

Quote:
I don't know why people even bother about protesting. There absolutely no reason I need to drive into manhattan during those times. Maybe the congestion tax is worth it, if it gives me a 30min traffic reduction.

I have a feeling that eventually Gov. Hochul will crater to the poor voters complaint and reduce the congestion tax to only people who make $50k+ has to pay. Which is really stupid because how many people making under $50k legally can afford to drive in NYC. Just the parking alone is $4/30mins at a meter and eating out may cost your $115 in parking tickets or $60 to park in a parking lot for 2 hours.

NYC is expensive because the government redistributes the income to their overpaid workers and social services..

Old 03-12-2024, 02:53 PM

35,285 posts, read 17,183,797 times
Quote:
The average person living in the outer boroughs is not driving into Manhattan during the weekdays, or during rush hour. Most people are taking the train into the city for work or play. Your post is giving the impression that people making $50K or less are driving into the city during peak hours, or even driving into the city at all.
What about people who live in Brooklyn, Staten Island or Queens without a really good way to get to work in Manhattan?

Old 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM

832 posts, read 592,197 times
Quote:
I would like to know what's convincing you that 7-9 PM are such important hours. How many people you think are driving into Manhattan on a weeknight to have dinner? I presume the numbers would be quite low for any married couples with school-aged children in the Tri-State area. So that would leave the single/or couple sans child(ren) demographic, let's say 18-35, and definitely towards the more mature side of that spectrum. Outer boroughs and Jersey combined.
It's not just people heading in to have dinner. Many also have theater tickets. The shows mostly start at 8 pm., let out at 10 pm.

Old 03-12-2024, 02:59 PM

832 posts, read 592,197 times
NYC doesn't appreciate cars anywhere and don't cater to them. Quite the opposite, in fact. The Powers that Be have been encouraging people to take mass transit for decades. it's feasible if you are going to Grand Central or Penn and your destination is nearby or you can find a cab. It's when you have to take the subway that things get dodgy. If the service and atmosphere of the subway can be improved, State Troopers and National Guard notwithstanding, maybe people will use it.

Somehow I don't see that happening, though.

Old 03-12-2024, 03:04 PM

35,285 posts, read 17,183,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
NYC doesn't appreciate cars anywhere and don't cater to them. Quite the opposite, in fact. The Powers that Be have been encouraging people to take mass transit for decades. it's feasible if you are going to Grand Central or Penn and your destination is nearby or you can find a cab. It's when you have to take the subway that things get dodgy. If the service and atmosphere of the subway can be improved, State Troopers and National Guard notwithstanding, maybe people will use it.

Somehow I don't see that happening, though.
It's all ideology, fueled by the desire for a cash grab.

Old 03-12-2024, 03:06 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,737,829 times
Quote:
I would like to know what's convincing you that 7-9 PM are such important hours. How many people you think are driving into Manhattan on a weeknight to have dinner? I presume the numbers would be quite low for any married couples with school-aged children in the Tri-State area. So that would leave the single/or couple sans child(ren) demographic, lets say 18-35, and definitely towards the more mature side of that spectrum. Outer boroughs and Jersey combined.
Because parking during the day is super expensive. Street parking is much cheaper and plenty of free parking from 7pm - 8am. It is to encourage people to come into the city to dine and watch sports games.

Commercial traffic during the day and regular cars at night. Most people who drive into the city only do so after work.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What about people who live in Brooklyn, Staten Island or Queens without a really good way to get to work in Manhattan?
Can you give an example of this in Brooklyn? Head scratcher. Brooklyn's not that big.

Do you have any evidence that this is normal? I don't know of anybody who has a regular 9-5 job and drives to Manhattan for work during peak hours.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Because parking during the day is super expensive. Street parking is much cheaper and plenty of free parking from 7pm - 8am. It is to encourage people to come into the city to dine and watch sports games.

Commercial traffic during the day and regular cars at night. Most people who drive into the city only do so after work.
During the week? I'm sorry but I just don't see it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City