Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 02:54 PM

337 posts, read 357,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeentt View Post
you folks only hold these ideals because you are centered. if you were on the outskirts and constantly being discriminated against, then you'd clamor for it to be equitable.
which is basically what is going on now, the guise of "muh-merit". You only need to look back a decade or two when non-minorities gate-kept promotions and upward mobility for their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 03:25 PM

31,932 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeentt View Post
you folks only hold these ideals because you are centered. if you were on the outskirts and constantly being discriminated against, then you'd clamor for it to be equitable.
Please....

Asians of all sorts come here (legally or not) live in cramped apartments and or in same disadvantaged or low income (even busted) areas as blacks or Latinos/Hispanics. Yet somehow, somehow in one generation their children are professionals with college and or even graduate degrees, and have good to excellent careers. Now why is that?

Gays used same civil rights laws to get more out of Obama administration in just eight years than blacks seem to have in > 60 years since those laws were passed. Again why is that?

Blacks control several major US cities and or states politically (mayors, governors, city councils, state legislatures, etc...) so am not seeing a problem with "equity".

Looking at various civil service or other government agencies again blacks are well to largely represented. USPS, NYCT, NYPD, etc.. So again am not seeing just how they are being discriminated against.

Perhaps the sticking post is requiring more than what has happened in past; that is just showing up and saying "give me..." just because one is black is coming to an end or is over.

In many instances bar for entry has been made so low for blacks you don't have to step over, but tunnel under it. Yet somehow, somehow people keep moaning while they're living in Pity Me Pines hotel...

Old 01-23-2024, 03:43 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Please....

Asians of all sorts come here (legally or not) live in cramped apartments and or in same disadvantaged or low income (even busted) areas as blacks or Latinos/Hispanics. Yet somehow, somehow in one generation their children are professionals with college and or even graduate degrees, and have good to excellent careers. Now why is that?

Gays used same civil rights laws to get more out of Obama administration in just eight years than blacks seem to have in > 60 years since those laws were passed. Again why is that?

Blacks control several major US cities and or states politically (mayors, governors, city councils, state legislatures, etc...) so am not seeing a problem with "equity".

Looking at various civil service or other government agencies again blacks are well to largely represented. USPS, NYCT, NYPD, etc.. So again am not seeing just how they are being discriminated against.

Perhaps the sticking post is requiring more than what has happened in past; that is just showing up and saying "give me..." just because one is black is coming to an end or is over.

In many instances bar for entry has been made so low for blacks you don't have to step over, but tunnel under it. Yet somehow, somehow people keep moaning while they're living in Pity Me Pines hotel...
Man, this is like one of the most stereotypical posts I have ever read on here
Makes sense though, as your travels are limited to MH-SI-NJ

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-23-2024, 08:23 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,944,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
But he's right.

Old 01-23-2024, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
But he's right.
What about what he said is right?

Old 01-23-2024, 09:36 PM

209 posts, read 100,163 times
Quote:
But is he right on a NYC level? I'd say he's pretty spot on.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
But is he right on a NYC level? I'd say he's pretty spot on.
He's wrong on every level. First of all I really dislike when people say Asians, because Asia is a diverse continent
Ya'll really are talking about the Chinese so lets start there
If Bugsy is so right, show me in NYC where Japanese are "living in cramped apartments and or in same disadvantaged or low income (even busted) areas as blacks or Latinos/Hispanics."
Ya'll can't be serious
Sadly I think ya'll are

Old 01-23-2024, 10:01 PM

209 posts, read 100,163 times
Quote:
He's wrong on every level. First of all I really dislike when people say Asians, because Asia is a diverse continent
Ya'll really are talking about the Chinese so lets start there
If Bugsy is so right, show me in NYC where Japanese are "living in cramped apartments and or in same disadvantaged or low income (even busted) areas as blacks or Latinos/Hispanics."
Ya'll can't be serious
Sadly I think ya'll are
Okay, so your issue here is with semantics, but you clearly understood what he meant. Do you go into a discussion looking to outwit people or do you genuinely want to have a discussion? Anyway, you got me and my 5 minutes so hats off to you.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
Okay, so your issue here is with semantics, but you clearly understood what he meant. Do you go into a discussion looking to outwit people or do you genuinely want to have a discussion? Anyway, you got me and my 5 minutes so hats off to you.
So just to be clear, who are we talking about? Chinese? This is a thread related to education, so it's important to state what is factually correct, no? Or should we just still go by semantics on a thread where education is a focal point? You tell me. And as far as the bolded, people outwit themselves. Get in over their heads. If you haven't noticed, most people just use this forum as a tool to vent about the deficiencies in their NYC lives, but that has nothing to do with me, or any of the other posters. So I don't feel I should be subjected to their complaints. Hell, you have people that don't live here anymore yet still come here to post complaints. Lol. So it can go anyway you would like, you tell me.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 01-23-2024 at 10:25 PM..

Old 01-23-2024, 10:28 PM

31,932 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
So just to be clear, who are we talking about? Chinese? This is a thread related to education, so it's important to state what is factually correct, no?
Again, just wanting to stir the pot... Either just being obtuse or feeling you can do so just because...

Linked article from Gothamist in OP uses "Asians" or "Asian Americans". This also is largely true of other media reports on this latest legal battle along with others in recent memory on matter of discrimination in education. Even formal complaint that is basis for this court case uses "Asian Americans"

https://storage.courtlistener.com/re...141933.1.0.pdf

It is *YOU* who is largely concerned about exactly what demographic this applies to; everyone else seems to either have sussed it out themselves and or aren't that bothered.

From your train of thinking then "blacks" should be broken down to those in USA whose ancestors were slaves versus recent immigrants from Caribbean, Africa or even certain parts of Latin America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: