Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 06:58 AM

16,122 posts, read 6,873,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
There is no such thing as born high achievers. It's just how much it is enforced ideally at the family level and potentially at the societal level.
I agree that will work but there are limits to achievements.

Currently............Taking an equal number of people per race one would find

13% of Asians perform at Levels 350 points or higher as compared to
6% of Whites,1% Blacks and Hispanics.

Down side?
The High rate among Asians are limited to achievemnets. Duly noted.
I do not believe it equates to other fields such as laborious intensive duties
that require elements of both mental fortitude and physical durational strength.

I have worked in a multifaceted field.
My observations were as follows:
Asians and Jewish at the Engineering positions. High Brain Function.
Europeans at Supervisory. High Brain and Physical Function.
A peppering of all Races from Foreman to Apprentice levels.

Mind you, there were exceptions for the higher platform
I have encountered over my 40 years.
I wish it were more than the exception.

Will this change over the next thousand years?
I believe if the conditions are right. Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 07:35 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,155,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yeah well that's news to me..

All over SI, parts of Brooklyn and Queens Asians are snapping up every home they can get in areas with good schools.

On SI joke around dinner tables is two groups always show up at any home for sale with bags of money offering to do a deal "right now"; Jewish of Eastern European background and Asians (mostly Chinese).

Asians home buyers largely ignore north of SIE except for certain select areas; instead they are concentrating on those south or just of the expressway. Now why do you think that is?

Many Chinese-Americans are buying homes in New Dorp and the entire East Shore. Nice middle-class people. Staten Island Tech is a big draw for them.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:34 AM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Many Chinese-Americans are buying homes in New Dorp and the entire East Shore. Nice middle-class people. Staten Island Tech is a big draw for them.
As I said....

https://www.silive.com/education/202...this-year.html

https://www.silive.com/news/2018/05/post_2157.html

https://3.files.edl.io/46a0/20/02/11...7c01498769.jpg

https://www.siths.org/apps/video/watch.jsp?v=229335

Old 01-21-2024, 08:37 AM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Long as these Asians are willing meet people's number that's all that matters nowadays.

People are bailing off SI left and right, and aren't too particular anymore about the "old neighborhood".

Old 01-21-2024, 08:50 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,946,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh this is so going to be good...

"The federal lawsuit filed on Wednesday takes aim at the state-funded Science and Technology Program, or STEP, which was enacted in 1985 and offers thousands of eligible seventh-to-12th graders extra lab research opportunities, tutoring and college admissions help."

"Participants must be Black, Hispanic or Latino, or Native American — or have a family income below the program’s threshold, which is currently set at $33,874 for a family with two children."

https://gothamist.com/news/asian-par...s-stem-program.
NY's state and urban education bureaucracies have done a terrible disservice to the children. These agencies should be wiped clean and reimagined as merit-based advisory councils with the express mission of making New York students the best educated in the country... in the world, in fact.

Why not? Once upon a time, NY boasted some of the nation's best schools. When my mother was growing up in Brooklyn, there were world class schools (along with some awful ones, admittedly), and the free CUNY system was superb.

No longer. What family in their right mind would relocate to NYC for the schools? Westchester, maybe, but from what I've heard, they've tanked their once-great schools as well, all in the cause of DEI and similar garbage.

As for this lawsuit, I hope and believe it is valid and the Asian group should prevail. It's outrageous to admit or ban people according to their race.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
-Martin Luther King Jr

Old 01-21-2024, 09:10 AM

1,302 posts, read 342,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
NY's state and urban education bureaucracies have done a terrible disservice to the children. These agencies should be wiped clean and reimagined as merit-based advisory councils with the express mission of making New York students the best educated in the country... in the world, in fact.

Why not? Once upon a time, NY boasted some of the nation's best schools. When my mother was growing up in Brooklyn, there were world class schools (along with some awful ones, admittedly), and the free CUNY system was superb.

No longer. What family in their right mind would relocate to NYC for the schools? Westchester, maybe, but from what I've heard, they've tanked their once-great schools as well, all in the cause of DEI and similar garbage.

As for this lawsuit, I hope and believe it is valid and the Asian group should prevail. It's outrageous to admit or ban people according to their race.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
-Martin Luther King Jr
The intersection of politics and public assistance.

My wife is a DOE teacher. The NYC school system has become nothing more than another public assistance program (free food, free after-school (baby sitting), free medical care, etc).

It creates a negative cycle whereby those parents who already skew towards being lazy and negligent are encouraged to be even more lazy and negligent because the school system takes care of their children. An essential part of being a responsible parent is sacrificing (time, money, and effort ) for your children.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:39 AM

209 posts, read 100,690 times
Quote:
The real reason is simply the neighborhoods that they actually want to live in in Queens or Brooklyn have gotten too expensive.

Old 01-21-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
The real reason is simply the neighborhoods that they actually want to live in in Queens or Brooklyn have gotten too expensive.
Not entirely true. They're taking virtually the same money and just getting more bang for their buck. The calculus for NYC has changed post COVID. It's the same calculus my wife and I are now running into it. We wanted to buy a house in Brooklyn for around $850K - $900K but have decided that would be a terrible choice given where the city is and is headed. We'll just take the same money and buy in LI. It's not because we're looking for cheaper housing. Essentially, we'll buy "the worst house in the best town" in LI which we can afford.

Old 01-21-2024, 11:12 AM

209 posts, read 100,690 times
I'm not sure what year you're referring to with your price range of 850k - 900k, but you cannot buy a single family home these days in the Asian parts of Brooklyn or Queens for that price range unless it's total crap. There's literally nothing for even a million in Bensonhurst if you check on Zillow.

I don't disagree that there is more value in buying on S.I because a 750k home is newer, bigger, and the neighborhood is a lot safer. On top of that you're kind of tucked away from the degeneracy. I myself bought a home in Brooklyn during the pandemic and I can't say I'm totally happy with my purchase as I'm looking to get away from Brooklyn myself lol.

Old 01-21-2024, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
I'm not sure what year you're referring to with your price range of 850k - 900k, but you cannot buy a single family home these days in the Asian parts of Brooklyn or Queens for that price range unless it's total crap. There's literally nothing for even a million in Bensonhurst if you check on Zillow.

I don't disagree that there is more value in buying on S.I because a 750k home is newer, bigger, and the neighborhood is a lot safer. On top of that you're kind of tucked away from the degeneracy. I myself bought a home in Brooklyn during the pandemic and I can't say I'm totally happy with my purchase as I'm looking to get away from Brooklyn myself lol.
There were plenty of under $1MM condos built in Bensonhurst (and other Chinese heavy areas) and it wasn’t for Hispanics. Multi-family homes go for over $1MM but there’s usually multiple generations buying the home.

Of course some is due to a lack of supply/ high prices but post COVID many Chinese are moving to SI, LI, and NJ due to the political environment which has impacted what they care about most, safety and education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: