Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 09:10 AM

31,896 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I agree that if this case gets accepted by the United States Supreme Court, it's likely that they will overturn the racial component of eligibility.

In its place they could add something like a 'parents are not college graduates' test to somewhat boost minority enrollment.
That wouldn't fly either.

Look up "disparate impact" in relation to civil rights/anti-discrimination laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 01:12 PM

193 posts, read 104,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
asian kids need no tutoring. They all are born high achievers so they should spare the opportunities for other kids who struggle to keep up with grade level stem subjects.
you clearly have no idea of the Tiger Moms in those cultures lol

Old 01-22-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I agree that will work but there are limits to achievements.

Currently............Taking an equal number of people per race one would find

13% of Asians perform at Levels 350 points or higher as compared to
6% of Whites,1% Blacks and Hispanics.

Down side?
The High rate among Asians are limited to achievemnets. Duly noted.
I do not believe it equates to other fields such as laborious intensive duties
that require elements of both mental fortitude and physical durational strength.

I have worked in a multifaceted field.
My observations were as follows:
Asians and Jewish at the Engineering positions. High Brain Function.
Europeans at Supervisory. High Brain and Physical Function.
A peppering of all Races from Foreman to Apprentice levels.

Mind you, there were exceptions for the higher platform
I have encountered over my 40 years.
I wish it were more than the exception.

Will this change over the next thousand years?
I believe if the conditions are right. Yes.
This sounds like pandering and supremacy at best. It's just like how asians are always typecast in movies as doctors. lol. That other group you mentioned.. in New York, there's a lot of "networking" for that community so even if they didn't have the skills, they'd still have the jobs. i know a LOT of very skilled and educated minority folks. i also know a lot of unskilled folks in the first 3 groups you mentioned. it all depends on how much their network gives them as well as their own family and educational background helped them. Let's call a spade a spade.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
NY's state and urban education bureaucracies have done a terrible disservice to the children. These agencies should be wiped clean and reimagined as merit-based advisory councils with the express mission of making New York students the best educated in the country... in the world, in fact.

Why not? Once upon a time, NY boasted some of the nation's best schools. When my mother was growing up in Brooklyn, there were world class schools (along with some awful ones, admittedly), and the free CUNY system was superb.

No longer. What family in their right mind would relocate to NYC for the schools? Westchester, maybe, but from what I've heard, they've tanked their once-great schools as well, all in the cause of DEI and similar garbage.

As for this lawsuit, I hope and believe it is valid and the Asian group should prevail. It's outrageous to admit or ban people according to their race.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
-Martin Luther King Jr
you folks only hold these ideals because you are centered. if you were on the outskirts and constantly being discriminated against, then you'd clamor for it to be equitable.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Why are you so sure that the USSC will take this case if it makes it that far?

At least you realize this case has to make it to the USSC for it to even have a chance.

I don’t agree with the program as it is administered currently but this is a pointless lawsuit except for billable hours.

The USSC struck down AA and what are the Ivies now doing? They’re calling in applicants for interviews and still running their AA game as usual.

The solution is to leave and find a better system. Just like many Chinese have been doing lately moving out of NYC.
you know that the acronym for the supreme court isnt USSC but actually SCOTUS right?

also you are quite right in that schools will find a way to get around enrollin AA.... and nobody can sue them for it.

same way that baker who refused to make the cake for same sex marriage... the wedding planner could have ordered the cake and then set up without the baker knowing who the cake was ever for... it's for a wedding, the end.

Old 01-22-2024, 03:21 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeentt View Post
you folks only hold these ideals because you are centered. if you were on the outskirts and constantly being discriminated against, then you'd clamor for it to be equitable.
Of course

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-22-2024, 05:52 PM

978 posts, read 673,115 times
Ahhhh come on now. They are mathmaticians, they will figure it out lol

Old 01-22-2024, 06:16 PM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
This sounds like pandering and supremacy at best. It's just like how asians are always typecast in movies as doctors. lol. That other group you mentioned.. in New York, there's a lot of "networking" for that community so even if they didn't have the skills, they'd still have the jobs. i know a LOT of very skilled and educated minority folks. i also know a lot of unskilled folks in the first 3 groups you mentioned. it all depends on how much their network gives them as well as their own family and educational background helped them. Let's call a spade a spade.
I'm neither Asian nor Jewish.

I'm glad you brought this up because I know, for a fact, that this is a widespread belief among the black community and to a much lesser extent the Latino community. Sadly, this is true for mid and higher tier city jobs and has become more prominent post Bloomberg and it is the minorities in government themselves who are its biggest practitioners and proponents. This is literally destroying NYC currently.

In the private sector, on the whole, there is no such thing.

Let me re-phrase your statement above and provide a clearer explanation of this belief. It goes like this. Many of the "good" jobs are held not by people who (at least) are somewhat competent for the position but because they're hired by other Jews, Asians, whites, etc. Therefore, many of the good jobs aren't in the hands of the black community simply because they're not given a chance. There are so many qualified *people of color* but all of the *good* jobs are sequestered from them due to racism. This is total and complete nonsense when it comes to the private sector.

I would bet my first-born that the *very skilled and educated minority folks* you know aren't that skilled and (for the most part) uselessly educated. The ones who are actually skilled and usefully educated have no issue getting the *good* jobs. I cannot tell you how many times a clearly unqualified *person of color* was hired by my present company, only to fail within the first 3-6 months, and then blame lack of help and racism. Companies are literally tripping over themselves to hire *people of color*.

Last edited by blanketyblank; 01-22-2024 at 06:26 PM..

Old 01-22-2024, 06:28 PM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Who's constantly being discriminated against?

Old 01-23-2024, 02:47 PM

337 posts, read 356,126 times
Quote:
He's a claws-oh-ted bee-got full stop (at least on here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: