Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 08:16 PM

3,738 posts, read 3,474,654 times

Advertisements

lol $200

A farebeater rides for free all year and gets cought a couple times. Worth it for them financially.

This is how you know dumb people run our local government
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 11:23 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
On the second offense, accused fare-beaters would get a $100 ticket — the current penalty — but $50 of that would go onto an OMNY card in an attempt to turn the scofflaw into a paying customer.

Money down the drain. If you're doing it more than once, you're not stopping because you get a $50 OMNY card. Hell, folks will probably sell the OMNY card for $35 and then go back to evading.

Old 01-18-2024, 01:28 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
https://nypost.com/2024/01/16/metro/...-to-up-to-200/

What do you think? Will it work? I don't think it will. I think what this plan is missing is that it requires the police to actually catch the farebeaters.

Effing eejits don't pay fines now, a higher amount isn't going to do squat.

Again as have said; go back to Rudy G's days or even what's done in France. Process fare beaters through system including stint in jail for theft of services. That won't deter hard core fare evaders, but will certainly make many others think twice.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:55 AM

2,448 posts, read 1,223,349 times
A preponderance of fare beaters fined or arrested will share a common trait and the lawsuits will start and that will be the end of this operation.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:35 AM

35,095 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post

What do you think? Will it work? I don't think it will. I think what this plan is missing is that it requires the police to actually catch the farebeaters.

Increasing fines against people who have no visible assets is utterly futile; it's a symbolic gesture and public safety theater.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:08 PM

15,869 posts, read 14,495,108 times
I want to know how many fairbeaters, when caught and given a ticket to appear, actually show up?

Old 01-18-2024, 12:37 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I want to know how many fairbeaters, when caught and given a ticket to appear, actually show up?
That's why most cops don't make the arrest, it's more waste of time. Certain demographics never carry any form of ID and no legal status.

Laws are designed to go after legal residents. By allowing the infiltration of so many illegals and not doing anything legal about them makes all of these laws and fines. Useless and meaningly.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:43 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,154,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
A preponderance of fare beaters fined or arrested will share a common trait and the lawsuits will start and that will be the end of this operation.

No white or hispanic cop is going to risk getting personally sued for arresting a POC criminal. You all created this mess. Elections matter.

Old 01-18-2024, 01:55 PM

35,095 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Default I showed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
In July 1980, when the 8th Avenue IND and the #7 line shared a station but had separate turnstiles (since rectified) I was trying to get on the #7 to get to Grand Central Terminal. I walked into the 8th Avenue turnstile by accident. I went back out and pulled open the slam gate. I was given a ticket by the officer. I showed up in Court and was given an ACD,or Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal. I stayed out of trouble and the ticket was dismissed.

So at least one did, myself.

Old 01-19-2024, 12:26 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
That's why most cops don't make the arrest, it's more waste of time. Certain demographics never carry any form of ID and no legal status.

Laws are designed to go after legal residents. By allowing the infiltration of so many illegals and not doing anything legal about them makes all of these laws and fines. Useless and meaningly.
Many years ago persons arrested or whatever and given desk appearance tickets would simply make up names. You'd sit in court and hear "Marie-Antoinette of France" or some other weird fake name called to the dock.

When Rudy G. came in that all changed up. You either provided ID acceptable to LE or your happy behind was hauled in and processed. Usually after fingerprints were run a whole rap sheet listing a litany of aliases would show up.

If in the slammer without ID you were told could contact someone who could bring whatever was needed (drivers license or something) that could prove identity to satisfaction of LE.

". In New York, you are not required to carry
ID, and you don’t have to show ID to a police
officer. If you are issued a summons or arrested,
however, and you refuse to produce ID or tell
officers who you are, the police may detain you
until you can be positively identified."

https://www.nyclu.org/sites/default/...epager-v01.pdf

How things roll in France:

https://www.gothamgazette.com/130-op...sion-mta-cuomo

https://www.reddit.com/r/paris/comme...ble/?rdt=48878
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: