Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 11:35 AM

3,242 posts, read 1,691,658 times

Advertisements

Recently, I'm frequently seeing cars blatantly running red lights and speeding to pass other traffic lights. Stop signs are also not being stopped. Which has made me extra cautious ever intersection I'm afraid of some car jumping the stop sign or not even stopping.

It is becoming downright dangerous adding bikers and pedestrians that also don't seem to obey traffic lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 11:40 AM

1,913 posts, read 742,294 times
Imagine big intersections and the traffic lights no longer function, like Mexican cities. It's coming.

Old 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Recently, I'm frequently seeing...
Full and complete stop at the red (or sign).
Scan for risks and then proceed when clear ...... Sign OR LIGHT.
^This describes at least three I pass through regularly; mostly early AM's.

The problem is at the lights with bad controls/programming...
that will have drivers stuck too often for too long...
and especially so relative to LIGHT conditions.
Quote:
It is becoming downright dangerous adding bikers and pedestrians that also don't seem to obey traffic lights.
All true.

Old 01-16-2024, 12:00 PM

3,242 posts, read 1,691,658 times
I don't think NY DOT cares, they will just make cameras everywhere but a lot of these illegal cars are running around driving like morons. Adding that I'm driving and trying to avoid a big slow bus or truck and suddenly a random scooter shows up right in front of my bumper! I hate to say it, I really wished I could mow the moron down because it is just pathetic how entitled some of these bikers think they own the road and riding on the path of cars. A lot of them don't care it's a stop sign or traffic light they will go right through while you have to mass the brakes.

Old 01-16-2024, 12:26 PM

34,111 posts, read 47,343,484 times
Quote:
Recently, I'm frequently seeing cars blatantly running red lights and speeding to pass other traffic lights. Stop signs are also not being stopped. Which has made me extra cautious ever intersection I'm afraid of some car jumping the stop sign or not even stopping.

Let us know when you stop doing it

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-16-2024, 01:29 PM

5,844 posts, read 2,964,750 times
I like my cars, a lot. I stop at red lights and stop signs, always did. You have to be brainless not to. Why would anyone take a chance. Those signs regulate traffic flow.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:55 PM

106,793 posts, read 109,020,929 times
i always obey all traffic signals .

it’s these low speeds i can’t deal with

Old 01-16-2024, 02:18 PM

1,302 posts, read 344,543 times
Quote:

Blowing a stop sign is one thing. A rolling stop is another. Rolling stops have always been around but I agree that blowing red lights has reached epidemic proportions. I attribute it to near zero enforcement by the NYPD coupled with the frustration (understandable) that many drivers feel with the obvious broken traffic management system in NYC.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:30 PM

16,122 posts, read 6,878,176 times
Who still obeys traffic lights stop signs?

I do.

However , I have a gut feeling that that certain situations may be overlooked " for the benefit of the citizen ".

I believe that behind the curtain politcal policies have been implemented which
removes the spoiled rod and simply spares the child.

I can opine a number of theories as to why but I'm sure credulity theorists
would be ready to pounce on me with claims of conspiracy.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:50 PM

1,428 posts, read 730,400 times
I obey the signs and traffic lights in NYC whenever I'm there except the speed limits because they suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City