Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 08:29 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
I obey the signs and traffic lights in NYC whenever I'm there except the speed limits because they suck.
How is driving in PA compared to here? Honest question.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 08:48 PM

1,422 posts, read 726,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How is driving in PA compared to here? Honest question.
Far less stressful. I don't think there's any cameras here, speed limits are of course more forgiving. Typically 25 for residential side streets, 15mph for school zones, 35-45 for major streets, and highways range from 55 to 70mph. Traffic is pretty much never bad even during rush hour. However, our roads are a hit or miss when it comes to their condition, and I wish the highways here were a little wider. Most of them are only 4 lanes wide ( 2v2 setup ) which makes it difficult to pass slow moving trucks.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:54 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Blowing a stop sign is one thing. A rolling stop is another. Rolling stops have always been around but I agree that blowing red lights has reached epidemic proportions. I attribute it to near zero enforcement by the NYPD coupled with the frustration (understandable) that many drivers feel with the obvious broken traffic management system in NYC.
NYC has a lot of Dominicans and nowadays Venezuelans. Not saying Dominicans and Venezuelans are responsible for the running red lights epidemic, but in the Dominican Republic traffic lights become somewhat of a suggestion especially at night. Even when you're waiting on a red light and there is a police vehicle behind you, get this: often times the police will honk their horn at you to go despite the traffic light is red and they have no emergency to attend. Motorcyclists don't always follow the traffic rules and they aren't expected to. When reaching an intersection with vehicles arriving on all sides, who goes first isn't about the right of way but rather which vehicle is bigger. You're in a Kia Rio vs someone in a Ford Explorer? It doesn't matter if they arrived last at the intersection, they go first. Speed limits are suggestions.

For many people they have seen this since they were born, hence this is normal-doesn't-raise-eyebrows types. Dominican Republic is probably where things are crazier when it comes to driving, but everywhere in Latin America the driving is more aggressive/following less the traffic rules than in the USA. Even Puerto Rico, which has been a US territory for over a century, driving there isn't quite like on the US mainland.

Latin America is the source of many of the foreigners moving to NYC.

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-16-2024 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-16-2024, 09:00 PM

1,302 posts, read 332,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
NYC has a lot of Dominicans and nowadays Venezuelans. Not saying Dominicans and Venezuelans are responsible for the running red lights epidemic, but in the Dominican Republic traffic lights become somewhat of a suggestion especially at night. Even when you're waiting on a red light and there is a police vehicle behind you, get this: often times the police will honk their horn at you to go despite the traffic light is red and they have no emergency to attend. Motorcyclists don't always following the traffic rules and they aren't expected to. When reaching an intersection with vehicles arriving at all sides, who goes first isn't about the right of way but rather which vehicle is bigger. You're in a Kia Rio vs someone in a Ford Explorer? It doesn't matter if they arrived last at the intersection, they go first. Speed limits are suggestions.

For many people they have seen this since they were born, hence this is normal-doesn't-raise-eyebrows types. Dominican Republic is probably where things are crazier when it comes to driving, but everywhere in Latin America the driving is more aggressive/following less the traffic rules than in the USA. Even Puerto Rico, which has been a US territory for over a century, driving there isn't quite like on the US mainland.

Latin America is the source of many of the foreigners moving to NYC.
I didn’t want to mention it but I agree that this also plays a role but only because there’s near zero enforcement from the NYPD. Most people tend to learn quick when they’re punished.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:28 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Recently, I'm frequently seeing cars blatantly running red lights and speeding to pass other traffic lights. Stop signs are also not being stopped. Which has made me extra cautious ever intersection I'm afraid of some car jumping the stop sign or not even stopping.

It is becoming downright dangerous adding bikers and pedestrians that also don't seem to obey traffic lights.
City has made expanded and extensive use of red light and other cameras. People often think they're smart blowing through a light or stop sign, then comes a surprise in mail...

Old 01-17-2024, 05:52 AM

1,302 posts, read 332,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
City has made expanded and extensive use of red light and other cameras. People often think they're smart blowing through a light or stop sign, then comes a surprise in mail...
The vast majority are known to motorists. Anytime there’s a “City Speed Limit -25” sign means there’s a camera ahead. Some don’t care and see it as a cost of car ownership in NYC and others simply don’t pay.

Old 01-17-2024, 06:00 AM

6,450 posts, read 3,147,095 times
I'm in western NY, not NYC, but to my observation, traffic lights and stop signs have become more of a suggestion, then the law, to far too many people....

Old 01-17-2024, 06:40 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Far less stressful. I don't think there's any cameras here, speed limits are of course more forgiving. Typically 25 for residential side streets, 15mph for school zones, 35-45 for major streets, and highways range from 55 to 70mph. Traffic is pretty much never bad even during rush hour. However, our roads are a hit or miss when it comes to their condition, and I wish the highways here were a little wider. Most of them are only 4 lanes wide ( 2v2 setup ) which makes it difficult to pass slow moving trucks.
So the cameras are the issue for you, mostly?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-17-2024, 09:50 AM

3,208 posts, read 1,671,394 times
Quote:
Not true for all of PA, I've driven in Philly and people there are slow AF. Not as bad slow mofos in NYC but PA folks have no clue where they are going even in their own state they do frequently hog the left lane on the highways.

https://philapark.org/speed-cameras/

I've gotten a speeding ticket in Philly so cameras do exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I'm in western NY, not NYC, but to my observation, traffic lights and stop signs have become more of a suggestion, then the law, to far too many people....
Because a good number of cars don't have legit plates so they don't care about red/speed cameras and NYPD are no longer actively patrolling roads in high numbers. They just hangout by the bridges and tunnels.

There will be more fatalities and car accidents because of the perfect combination of ghost cars / congestion tolls, speed/red cams, and illegals driving without any docs.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:20 PM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Not true for all of PA, I've driven in Philly and people there are slow AF. Not as bad slow mofos in NYC but PA folks have no clue where they are going even in their own state they do frequently hog the left lane on the highways.

https://philapark.org/speed-cameras/

I've gotten a speeding ticket in Philly so cameras do exist.

Because a good number of cars don't have legit plates so they don't care about red/speed cameras and NYPD are no longer actively patrolling roads in high numbers. They just hangout by the bridges and tunnels.

There will be more fatalities and car accidents because of the perfect combination of ghost cars / congestion tolls, speed/red cams, and illegals driving without any docs.
Philly is a dying/dead city. It’s unfair to compare it to any modern normal city in USA. I was there last summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City