Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 02:23 PM

451 posts, read 324,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Philly is a dying/dead city. It’s unfair to compare it to any modern normal city in USA. I was there last summer.
What is that based on? I've been there twice a year since 2018, including this past December for their Winter Village by City Hall. I've had great experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 02:30 PM

5,851 posts, read 2,970,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
What is that based on? I've been there twice a year since 2018, including this past December for their Winter Village by City Hall. I've had great experiences.
I have a list of Philly cheesecake spots I like to try. So we went to try one of those and also walk around a bit. It was last winter now that I think about it.
Ate, went to a check out a church, children’s museum, drove around a bit and left. It was creepy looking. By some pure dumb luck I avoided all the bad areas. That I found out after we got home and I did some more research where we drove. Beautiful architecture but creepy as hell. It’s a shame.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:43 PM

451 posts, read 324,501 times
Quote:
I have a list of Philly cheesecake spots I like to try. So we went to try one of those and also walk around a bit. It was last winter now that I think about it.
Ate, went to a check out a church, children’s museum, drove around a bit and left. It was creepy looking. By some pure dumb luck I avoided all the bad areas. That I found out after we got home and I did some more research where we drove. Beautiful architecture but creepy as hell. It’s a shame.
This is a bit absurd

Old 01-17-2024, 02:50 PM

111 posts, read 48,467 times
NYPD is not doing any enforcement because the city is making a ton of money with the red light cameras , and speed cameras

Old 01-17-2024, 05:53 PM

16,140 posts, read 6,886,261 times
Quote:

Is it possible you have suffered a moment of being out of your element?
I know the feeling.
It goes away with repetition.

Old 01-17-2024, 09:20 PM

1,428 posts, read 731,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So the cameras are the issue for you, mostly?
The speed limits actually. They are terrible.

Old 01-17-2024, 09:23 PM

1,428 posts, read 731,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Not true for all of PA, I've driven in Philly and people there are slow AF. Not as bad slow mofos in NYC but PA folks have no clue where they are going even in their own state they do frequently hog the left lane on the highways.

https://philapark.org/speed-cameras/

I've gotten a speeding ticket in Philly so cameras do exist.
I am aware that Philly has speed cameras. Roosevelt Blvd is notorious for having a lot of cameras, then again, the speed limit for Roosevelt Blvd isn't 25 mph.

I brought up that PA doesn't have wide highways like NY or NJ do, which makes it aggravating to pass slow drivers.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:58 AM

2,457 posts, read 1,228,506 times
Ok you got me. During the pandemic I pretty much ignored the "No Right On Red"

Still might ignore that rule, if I see an open parking spot.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:50 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,240,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
NYC has a lot of Dominicans and nowadays Venezuelans. Not saying Dominicans and Venezuelans are responsible for the running red lights epidemic, but in the Dominican Republic traffic lights become somewhat of a suggestion especially at night. Even when you're waiting on a red light and there is a police vehicle behind you, get this: often times the police will honk their horn at you to go despite the traffic light is red and they have no emergency to attend. Motorcyclists don't always follow the traffic rules and they aren't expected to. When reaching an intersection with vehicles arriving on all sides, who goes first isn't about the right of way but rather which vehicle is bigger. You're in a Kia Rio vs someone in a Ford Explorer? It doesn't matter if they arrived last at the intersection, they go first. Speed limits are suggestions.

For many people they have seen this since they were born, hence this is normal-doesn't-raise-eyebrows types. Dominican Republic is probably where things are crazier when it comes to driving, but everywhere in Latin America the driving is more aggressive/following less the traffic rules than in the USA. Even Puerto Rico, which has been a US territory for over a century, driving there isn't quite like on the US mainland.

Latin America is the source of many of the foreigners moving to NYC.

Never saw such total disregard for stop signs & lights before moving to an all-Dominican part of the Bronx.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:54 PM

20,951 posts, read 28,472,843 times
There's a stop across the street from my house on the corner. you would be making a right hand turn onto sunrise highway service road. Anyway in the spring and summer we sit outside on our porch and you would not believe how many don't stop and go right through but then as they are turning and cars are coming east bound their car is so far out into the road I am surprised no one has hit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City