Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 01:01 PM

3,208 posts, read 1,671,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Philly is a dying/dead city. It’s unfair to compare it to any modern normal city in USA. I was there last summer.
Unless there's a Eagles or Phillies game. The whole city is a bit like the UWS of NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I have a list of Philly cheesecake spots I like to try. So we went to try one of those and also walk around a bit. It was last winter now that I think about it.
Ate, went to a check out a church, children’s museum, drove around a bit and left. It was creepy looking. By some pure dumb luck I avoided all the bad areas. That I found out after we got home and I did some more research where we drove. Beautiful architecture but creepy as hell. It’s a shame.
Cheesesteaks are the most overrated food along with the Halal Chicken & Rice. I don't know which one is more overrated and overpriced. Sure it's great to have some whenever but at these new prices they are outrageous for the quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 02:01 PM

30 posts, read 23,156 times
I try to count how many cars go thru after the light turns red. It's usually 1-3 cars. I'm talking about these cars that are not in the intersection as the light turns red.

Old 01-18-2024, 02:35 PM

In many ways, it's to protest how the lights are programmed so poorly that it doesn't take into the account that you just moved from one stop light and the next one was intentionally timed to make you stop. While you see bikes and scooters zip right through.

It's so bad at some light, it just turned green before you hit the gas the next traffic light is already turning red. So why even bother to move the car at all and let's just all wait.

The lights are completely programmed to cause congestion and not efficiently move traffic while keeping cars from speeding. Whoever programmed them should be fired for causing climate problems because more gas burnt while waiting causes more pollution.

Old 01-18-2024, 02:46 PM

6,447 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
In many ways, it's to protest how the lights are programmed so poorly that it doesn't take into the account that you just moved from one stop light and the next one was intentionally timed to make you stop. While you see bikes and scooters zip right through.

It's so bad at some light, it just turned green before you hit the gas the next traffic light is already turning red. So why even bother to move the car at all and let's just all wait.

The lights are completely programmed to cause congestion and not efficiently move traffic while keeping cars from speeding. Whoever programmed them should be fired for causing climate problems because more gas burnt while waiting causes more pollution.
I understand your point, exactly!!

Old 01-18-2024, 02:58 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:

absolutely true

Old 01-18-2024, 04:45 PM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times
Quote:
Unless there's a Eagles or Phillies game. The whole city is a bit like the UWS of NYC.

Cheesesteaks are the most overrated food along with the Halal Chicken & Rice. I don't know which one is more overrated and overpriced. Sure it's great to have some whenever but at these new prices they are outrageous for the quality.
Halal chicken and rice I agree, but a good cheesesteak once a year has to be amazing. Same goes for lobster rolls in Maine.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:54 PM

179 posts, read 272,190 times
I recently visited the city and can't think of a single issue I had with a vehicle. Cyclists? They were CONSTANTLY blowing red lights at high speeds and getting in the way of pedestrians. The docent at the Museum of the City of NY wasn't lying when she said that the biggest danger for visitors is cyclists.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creo View Post
I recently visited the city and can't think of a single issue I had with a vehicle. Cyclists? They were CONSTANTLY blowing red lights at high speeds and getting in the way of pedestrians. The docent at the Museum of the City of NY wasn't lying when she said that the biggest danger for visitors is cyclists.
They are a public menace, unfortunately a lot of elderly people will get killed by bikers and no arrest or anyone held responsible because of so many illegals running around. These bikers and scooters are just going all different direction disobeying lights, signs, and regardless it's car lanes or side walks. Eventually the progressives will get a taste of their own poor decisions. Nature will always balance the herd.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:02 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
One lesson I learned many years ago when I drove a yellow cab barreling up a down the avenues: never, and I mean NEVER, be the first car through a light that just turned green. There’s always going to be someone blasting through the yellow or red on the side streets, especially late at night. Now I’d give the same advice to pedestrians crossing the avenues, largely because of all the delivery bikes. Can’t you earn some money without putting pedestrians in danger?

Old 01-19-2024, 02:23 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
I don't think NY DOT cares, they will just make cameras everywhere but a lot of these illegal cars are running around driving like morons. Adding that I'm driving and trying to avoid a big slow bus or truck and suddenly a random scooter shows up right in front of my bumper! I hate to say it, I really wished I could mow the moron down because it is just pathetic how entitled some of these bikers think they own the road and riding on the path of cars. A lot of them don't care it's a stop sign or traffic light they will go right through while you have to mass the brakes.
For lights they are into cameras. More money less man hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City