Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 05:27 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I only spend 10 minutes on the treadmill at the gym, because I'm already skinny, so I like to spend majority of my time there lifting weights as my main focus is building some muscle. And since my commute to the gym is a 0.8 mile walk and another 0.8 mile walk on the way home, I'm already getting a lot of leg exercise already. So I just do a quick run when I get to the gym to get my heart rate up and warm up.
MJ works hard so he can envelope a 2,000 calorie pastry (Yum)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 06:04 PM

56 posts, read 34,223 times
The great thing about NYC there's so many options and here are some of my recommendations.

The NYC Parks And Rec. They are in all the 5 boroughs and offer different amenities. One of my personal favorites is Asser Levy Rec Center over by E.23 near the FDR. But you have to figure out which one suits you.

Its cost 50 for 6 months or 100 for the year (for facilities without a pool)

or 75 for 6 months or 150 for the year (for facilities with a pool)

If you get a membership that doesn't have a pool, you can't go to rec centers that have a pool. But if you have the membership that is 75-150, you have access to every single rec center across all 5 boroughs.

If you are more into calisthenics, NYC is probably the best when it comes to that. There's calisthenic/fitness parks throughout all of NYC and many of them have gotten renovations. The only thing is if the weather gets inclement or very cold then it probably won't work. Though, some people do in fact brave the cold and get in a workout anyway! That's up to you. I have a few personal favorites scattered throughout Manhattan, Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn.

Manhattan Plaza Health Club is a little pricey but its really worth it for what you get. A day pass is 40 on weekdays and 50 on weekends and you can stay as long as you want but you can also leave and return as long as you have a ticket. There's swimming that goes up to 12 feet, a small but good gym in the basement, studios, a rock climbing gym, saunas and quite a few more stuff. The membership is about 115 a month but its so worth it.

Mid-City gym is good and decently priced but I haven't been there in some time but its a good gym, with.....a lot of interesting characters.

Of course there's Planet Fitness, Blink and the rest but they tend to come with annoying contracts.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-11-2023, 01:07 AM

106,569 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
MJ works hard so he can envelope a 2,000 calorie pastry (Yum)!
i wish .. i miss my junk food

Old 11-11-2023, 01:37 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCHP-lavender View Post
“Planet Fitness, Blink and Retro Fitnessâ€

I will check these ones out. Unfortunately I cannot afford a fancy gym, like Equinox.

Is Equinox the cities top of the line gym or are there better?
How much does Equinox membership cost?
I've been a member of Planet Fitness in multiple cities via the Active&Fit membership program, which I also used to get a Retro Fitness membership in Annapolis, MD. Planet Fitness is pretty basic, but has all that most gym goers need. And it'll be among the cheapest options that you'll find if paying out of pocket (memberships start as low as $10 a month).

As for Retro Fitness, I loved that gym. They had heavy weights (I don't think Planet Fitness has any dumbbells over 70 pounds or so as they don't want people feeling intimidated ) and great equipment. A little pricier than Planet Fitness, but still pretty low price point.

Crowds can be a problem at any gym (from high end to lower tier), but I've found the earlier or later you go in the day, crowds are less likely to be an issue.

Old 11-11-2023, 01:38 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
I only spend 10 minutes on the treadmill at the gym, because I'm already skinny, so I like to spend majority of my time there lifting weights as my main focus is building some muscle. And since my commute to the gym is a 0.8 mile walk and another 0.8 mile walk on the way home, I'm already getting a lot of leg exercise already. So I just do a quick run when I get to the gym to get my heart rate up and warm up.
Are you consuming enough calories to help with this endeavor?

Old 11-11-2023, 02:31 PM

3,478 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Crowds can be a problem at any gym (from high end to lower tier), but I've found the earlier or later you go in the day, crowds are less likely to be an issue.
I was lazy to go early this morning at my Retro Fitness gym because I wanted to sleep in a little bit since I was tired, so I went to the gym today at 1pm. It was packed as f***!! I guess going the middle of the day at my gym is just not an option. Must go there no later than 7am!

Old 11-11-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Are you consuming enough calories to help with this endeavor?
I've learned that it's not so much the quantity of calories but the quality. I can easily pack on calories by eat at McDonald's, but that's just pure junk food. I'm trying to eat eggs, fish, greek yogurt, peanuts, beef, chicken, and drinking a protein shake after my workouts.

Not sure if I'm getting as much calories as I should be to bulk up like Dwayne Johnson, but trying to eat as healthy as possible and trying to boost my protein intake as much as I can.

Old 11-11-2023, 02:53 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
I've learned that it's not so much the quantity of calories but the quality. I can easily pack on calories by eat at McDonald's, but that's just pure junk food. I'm trying to eat eggs, fish, greek yogurt, peanuts, beef, chicken, and drinking a protein shake after my workouts.

Not sure if I'm getting as much calories as I should be to bulk up like Dwayne Johnson, but trying to eat as healthy as possible and trying to boost my protein intake as much as I can.
But if your too skinny and unhappy about it you can still add more calories (healthy Calories) to you diet.
You may be under eating what you need.

Old 11-11-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
But if your too skinny and unhappy about it you can still add more calories (healthy Calories) to you diet.
You may be under eating what you need.
Well I'm skinny but I can't see the abs on my stomach. Which means there is still some fat covering the abs. So I actually need to lose more fat and thus, need to go on a calorie deficit.

Old 11-11-2023, 05:01 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Well I'm skinny but I can't see the abs on my stomach. Which means there is still some fat covering the abs. So I actually need to lose more fat and thus, need to go on a calorie deficit.
So what is known as "Skinny Fat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City