Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 07:36 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I was a gym go-er since I was in High school. Belonged to most big chains. During Covid when gyms were closed I was focused to workout outside and in my apartment. Quit the gym shortly after the re-opened and been gym free since. Rain/sleet/snow/heat my butt is outside everyday.
Do you lift weights?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 08:21 AM

3,507 posts, read 1,416,415 times
Quote:
I was a gym go-er since I was in High school. Belonged to most big chains. During Covid when gyms were closed I was focused to workout outside and in my apartment. Quit the gym shortly after the re-opened and been gym free since. Rain/sleet/snow/heat my butt is outside everyday.

I wish I could work out at home since I don't have to trek through the bad weather and cross streets during heavy traffic to get to the gym. But I already tried that and that never works out. I get too lazy.

Old 11-07-2023, 04:32 PM

5,692 posts, read 2,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Do you lift weights?
Yes and do resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I wish I could work out at home since I don't have to trek through the bad weather and cross streets during heavy traffic to get to the gym. But I already tried that and that never works out. I get too lazy.
Yes you need discipline.

Old 11-07-2023, 04:40 PM

3,507 posts, read 1,416,415 times
Quote:
Yes you need discipline.
The funny thing is my apartment building has 12 flights of stairs residents can use. That could be my StairMaster exercise. Don't need a gym membership for that.

But too lazy to use them. For some reason, I have better motivation to workout at the gym because I know I'm paying monthly for it (so I MUST make good use of it) and plus, there are people around you at the gym also training hard and that adds motivation as well.

Old 11-07-2023, 04:44 PM

Good posts by you both.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
The funny thing is my apartment building has 12 flights of stairs residents can use. That could be my StairMaster exercise. Don't need a gym membership for that.

But too lazy to use them. For some reason, I have better motivation to workout at the gym because I know I'm paying monthly for it (so I MUST make good use of it) and plus, there are people around you at the gym also training hard and that adds motivation as well.
Stairs are a good workout but can be hard on the knees. Walking is really the best cardio for the body especially as you get older. But man I hate taking those walks in the cold. Bundling up and freezing is not fun to me . But it's good for the body and the mind.
Off to go for my walk, thankfully the sun is out this morning. When the sun is out all is well in my world

Old 11-08-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Stairs are a good workout but can be hard on the knees. Walking is really the best cardio for the body especially as you get older. But man I hate taking those walks in the cold. Bundling up and freezing is not fun to me . But it's good for the body and the mind.
Off to go for my walk, thankfully the sun is out this morning. When the sun is out all is well in my world
The sun is great for your body and mind, you're absolutely right

Old 11-08-2023, 06:21 AM

106,766 posts, read 108,973,015 times
Quote:
how much walking is going to be cardio and not just movement is going to depend on one’s shape .

walking for most fit people isn’t going to improve cardio much as like any muscle the heart only responds to what it doesn’t do efficiently yet or what it is NOT used to .

like i said my blood pressure was high , my sugar high and my cholesterol high even after decades of bike , walking and elliptical.

the measurable differences didn’t happen until i went outside my efficiency zone .

what was interesting was after my wife and i were hospitalized for two weeks with delta covid and on oxygen in the hospital we required no rehab or even oxygen after we were released .

within a week we were back to our routine doing our photography and walking hills and miles .

however while i could do all the things in life i typically could , i couldn’t run .

my heart rate would shoot up in minutes and i felt winded ….

i was concerned so i saw the pulmonologist i was assigned when i was released from LIJ hopital .

they saw nothing so they sent me to the northwell cardiology center .

they did an echo stress .

First thing they said to me was are you a runner? i said yes i was running 3 miles every other day up to covid .

they said they can tell by the pumping and flow rate of my heart which was high for my age .

stress tests use a standardized scoring system .

it runs from 1 to 12 ….8-10 is normal .

i breezed thru ten and they had me try 11… 11 was no problem .

they didn’t bother with 12 since they already saw i was way above normal..

they said that the intense cardio grows everything so much that i lost that excess capacity….

they said stick with the running and it will come back .

sure enough it took 9 months to grow everything back to where it was prior to covid .

today i have broken all my previous records.

so don’t confuse what is movement, what is exercise and what is cardio growth.

they are all different levels of heart rate where you work at

anyone seeing heart rates in the cardio workout range walking better see a good cardiologist

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-08-2023 at 07:43 AM..

Old 11-08-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
how much walking is going to be cardio and not just movement is going to depend on one’s shape .

walking for most fit people isn’t going to improve cardio much as like any muscle the heart only responds to what it doesn’t do efficiently yet or what it is NOT used to .
Well I do 40+ miles a week between walking/running so I'm not just taking a Sunday afternoon stroll.
I do the marathon every year, just completed my 23rd on Sunday.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:33 AM

106,766 posts, read 108,973,015 times
Quote:
Well I do 40+ miles a week between walking/running so I'm not just taking a Sunday afternoon stroll.
I do the marathon every year, just completed my 23rd on Sunday.
wasn’t directed at you , just a general comment directed at the masses.

we have so many at both our gyms who take a leisurely walk on the tread reading a book or on their phones and think it’s a cardio workout
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City