Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the Marine Right or Wrong? Wrong or Right?
Right 52 71.23%
Wrong 10 13.70%
Not sure 11 15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 04:18 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times

Advertisements

The whole point with preventing citizens from making arrests was that the police are the
are the more effective enforcer. But it hasn’t worked and the government has protected the criminals at a wholesale level. NYers need to take matters and good the politicians accountable. Without changes to the legislations nyc is following other high crime states. Taxpayers will leave other than those who are stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 04:25 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Some communities are safer to reside in than other communities because of heroes like this young marine who are willing to stand up to clean up the trash instead of submitting to the trash, or even worse, arguing in favor of the trash to sabotage the heroism... it is sad that one coward witness complained the reporter that the chokehold was long while he stood by doing nothing...there are some morally degenerated lives not worth saving....
You don’t need to reside in a neighborhood that actually has vigilantes. Just one that the trash THINK has them.

Basically, in NYC, if certain types call your hood racist, you live in the right place.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-03-2023, 06:45 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Did what many wished they could do. Got rid of the menace for good.

Guys should get a medal.
1000 percent correct!

Old 05-03-2023, 08:10 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Hard to say who is right or wrong in this one. I love riding the Metro every time I'm in New York, ever since my first ride back in 1998, just as I would every other transit system. Lately there's been too many scary incidents involving crazies on the Metro mentioned in the news. The same with so many other transit systems post pandemic, in Philly, in Chicago, even up in Toronto, transit riders getting shot, stabbed, punched or beaten and I don't mean kids getting into one on one fistfights, I mean perfectly innocent individuals doing nothing but minding their business and still getting viciously attacked. We just had an incident on the T up here in Boston last week when a gang of youth beat up a woman and trashed her groceries when all she did was merely glimpsed at them. Riding public transit always carry its risks but I have not seen it get this bad in the two decades prior to the pandemic. Maybe during the days of Charles Bronson's Death Wish but that was a long time ago in practically another New York. That is what is causing passengers to snap and take the law into their own hands, similar to the "stand your ground" laws in other states, because of that immediate threat.

In other countries, the case would have been quickly dismissed and the marine would have even been commended. If you're physically attacking or even verbally threatening other individuals in the public like a raving lunatic, regardless of whether your mentally unstable or under the influence, the law - and the society - will come down hard on you. It's different here in the US because we respect human rights and due process, the law protects the individual here over the system, not the other way around. So yes, there is a chance the marine might get prosecuted, and his defense would have to be that he felt threatened by the man, enough that if he did not place the man in a choke hold, the man would have attacked him or someone else. Did the marine go too far or was he overwhelmed in the heat of the moment? Does that warrant a crime? The judge and jury would have to carefully examine every aspect of the incident.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:42 PM

82 posts, read 47,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Hard to say who is right or wrong in this one. I love riding the Metro every time I'm in New York, ever since my first ride back in 1998, just as I would every other transit system. Lately there's been too many scary incidents involving crazies on the Metro mentioned in the news. The same with so many other transit systems post pandemic, in Philly, in Chicago, even up in Toronto, transit riders getting shot, stabbed, punched or beaten and I don't mean kids getting into one on one fistfights, I mean perfectly innocent individuals doing nothing but minding their business and still getting viciously attacked. We just had an incident on the T up here in Boston last week when a gang of youth beat up a woman and trashed her groceries when all she did was merely glimpsed at them. Riding public transit always carry its risks but I have not seen it get this bad in the two decades prior to the pandemic. Maybe during the days of Charles Bronson's Death Wish but that was a long time ago in practically another New York. That is what is causing passengers to snap and take the law into their own hands, similar to the "stand your ground" laws in other states, because of that immediate threat.

In other countries, the case would have been quickly dismissed and the marine would have even been commended. If you're physically attacking or even verbally threatening other individuals in the public like a raving lunatic, regardless of whether your mentally unstable or under the influence, the law - and the society - will come down hard on you. It's different here in the US because we respect human rights and due process, the law protects the individual here over the system, not the other way around. So yes, there is a chance the marine might get prosecuted, and his defense would have to be that he felt threatened by the man, enough that if he did not place the man in a choke hold, the man would have attacked him or someone else. Did the marine go too far or was he overwhelmed in the heat of the moment? Does that warrant a crime? The judge and jury would have to carefully examine every aspect of the incident.
First of all, in NYC it's called the Subway. "Metro" here could get confused with Metro-North railroad which is a commuter rail system.

Human rights is not a green light for bad behavior. If you are going to act like trash and try to bother people that have done nothing to you, then prepare to forfeit your life. Even in most European countries, if this guy acted up, this would be a non-issue.

But if we look at Castle Doctrine, there is no place for the passengers to run on the subway train. The train car is enclosed. Even if they could run to other subway cars, there is no guarantee that guy would not keep pursuing.

If people are going to riot over this, then the NYPD should crack skulls open. Good people have a right to peace which is more important than someone shouting and threatening people for no reason.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Lots of people on here licking their lips, just love some killing...opinion opinion opinions...

That Hero looks like a gentrifier ,or off duty something. He dont look like hes from around here. Nah. Sloppy too!

If he knew a chock hold. He could have used another technical move to immobilize the EDP. Chock hold between the jaws has the same effect as over the throat (pain) ,but wont kill him.

I From the old ways, a 3 minute head lock, or some other jimmy snuka move would have zipped that mouth shut quick. Oh well...
That guy needed to learn his lesson. After forty times causing problems in his life, I think enough is enough.

And the hero isn't a gentrifier because they don't fight back and are the biggest pansies.

Lesson in life, don't do drugs, and you may have good life and survive without getting choked out.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:46 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,212,637 times
AOC has weighed in, I guess the talking points are going out..

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2023...ive-headlines/

Old 05-03-2023, 08:56 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Would anything of you have done the same thing?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-03-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
AOC has weighed in, I guess the talking points are going out..

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2023...ive-headlines/
AOC should let druggies stay in her house. I am sure she will gladly open her orfices all for them whether she wants it or not.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
This is just Bernie Goetz all over again except instead of a gun it was a wrestling move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City