Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the Marine Right or Wrong? Wrong or Right?
Right 52 71.23%
Wrong 10 13.70%
Not sure 11 15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 01:25 PM

8 posts, read 2,267 times

Advertisements

^^awesome idea though

Send attack dogs after him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 07:34 PM

293 posts, read 88,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The cops did do a pretty good job of it until stopped by political considerations.
The posters argument was completely incorrect. We may have 8 million residents but 99% are not an issue for cops. There's 80K -100K that the cops need/should be focused on. In fact, that's precisely the reason why traffic enforcement is a completely separate arm of the NYPD. 40K/100K is not an unreasonable ratio. In fact, there's more than enough cops.

As you correctly pointed out, problems arise when the focus is either shifted from the 100K that truly cause problems or the cops are allowed to slack off. Usually it's a combination of both. Directives come from the top. They're either told to focus on the problem residents or they're told to lay off.

Arguing that 40K cops need to account for 8 million residents is like arguing that 20 year olds in the hood should be afraid of dying due to a heart attack just as much as from a violent assault.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:43 AM

35,007 posts, read 16,972,291 times
I was on the subway yesterday for the first time since the "pandemic." The round trip was pretty good. However, on the way downtown someone did a major feat of athleticism, launching himself on a gymnastic feat involving the vertical polls and the overhead grab bars. At the end he yelled "I didn't rob no one and I didn't kick no one." The latter statement was a miracle. It was entertaining but scary. On the return trip we were treated to one brief panhandler speech. A bit annoying but not too long. Both are signs of an atmosphere of disorder and chaos.

Old 02-08-2024, 08:14 AM

1,058 posts, read 542,503 times
Quote:
I was on the subway yesterday for the first time since the "pandemic." The round trip was pretty good. However, on the way downtown someone did a major feat of athleticism, launching himself on a gymnastic feat involving the vertical polls and the overhead grab bars. At the end he yelled "I didn't rob no one and I didn't kick no one." The latter statement was a miracle. It was entertaining but scary. On the return trip we were treated to one brief panhandler speech. A bit annoying but not too long. Both are signs of an atmosphere of disorder and chaos.
the former statement is a miracle too

Old 02-08-2024, 08:33 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times
Quote:
If possible, I usually move when these street Olympians start flipping around the poles. They are just very annoying. Especially after a workday when you want peace and quiet. At least as much peace and quiet you can get from a train ride. No music please. Go to the gym to try your somersaults, etc.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:19 AM

35,007 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
If possible, I usually move when these street Olympians start flipping around the poles. They are just very annoying. Especially after a workday when you want peace and quiet. At least as much peace and quiet you can get from a train ride. No music please. Go to the gym to try your somersaults, etc.
I was afraid that moving might trigger an unwanted response.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:39 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post

Exactly this^
at the end of the day, or beginning of the day for that matter, i am not looking for entertainment.

I usually do the same thing as well.
next stop, get off, go to next car................... done.

these rejects are just asking for trouble, and besides, who in their right mind does things like that???

I can always tell who the problem rider is going to be, but the worst is being on the train and it is going over the Manhattan bridge so you're stuck for a length of time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City