Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 01:59 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,621,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes. In say Barcelona you have an area called the Rambla that's loaded with tourists, and it gets a lot of thieves.

Overall though, Barcelona and other European cities are safe. Homicides are very rare and so is gang violence.
Yes, pickpockets seem to be the main issue. Homicides are pretty rare in most of Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 03:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,170,375 times
I wonder if NYC were back in its dark days if this woman might have known or been told by others in the know to just give up her phone and wallet immediately. (It’s not clear if she fought to keep them). I know conventional wisdom back in the day was just give everything up. It’s possible we, especially young people, have lost this knowledge or it hasn’t been passed on to them in a strong enough way, because now NY is “so safe.”

Anyone recall the days of decoy wallets? I never had one but it’s the type of thing people used to consider.

Old 12-13-2019, 03:39 PM

19,080 posts, read 14,035,845 times
My decoy wallet is my gun. I specifically carry it and train to draw and fire it from a position that makes it appear as if I am reaching for my wallet.

I carry a picture of my kids in my wallet these days for one reason only: no perp is ever getting a picture of my kids. Keeps my mind right for what has to be done should this ever happen to me.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-13-2019, 03:40 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,927,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
That would be incredibly racist. You don't know how hard it is to grow up in an oppressive racist impoverished environment that they have to turn to a life of crime as a result. There is still chance to rehabilitate since he's only 13 years old, just a baby really. Imagine how frightened and messed up he would be if locked up with hardened criminals. Hopefully some good will come out of this, he will reform and grow up to become a successful citizen and her life not lost on vain.
nah fu** all that. no matter what race he is, lock him up and throw away the key

Old 12-13-2019, 03:46 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,927,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Dude I laughed so hard at this. Good joke lol. This kid will be arrested 30 times in the future and will be a life long criminal. He and his pals are a lost cause. They will never hold down a job.
with me it’s not about race when it comes to murder. It’s about the act. I knew the vic was white when it was reported. It garnered media attention fast, then they threw in the fact she was a Barnard college student in the mix.

they are gonna fry him in the system. a little black boy MURDERING a bourgeoning white college student? Kiss his life goodbye. Oh well. Let him fry.

Some of you seem to think that just because the system got a little reform, certain things have changed. They have not, and you will see that.

Old 12-13-2019, 03:46 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,529,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Awful all around

13-Year-Old Boy Arrested in Killing of Tessa Majors, 18, Barnard Student
The boy was charged with murder, robbery and criminal possession of a weapon, an official said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/n...ng-arrest.html

Unable to retrieve this url. I follow everything from the very beginning to the end, and checked it three times to make sure it is correct.......and nothing.....

Old 12-13-2019, 03:51 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,029,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I wonder if NYC were back in its dark days if this woman might have known or been told by others in the know to just give up her phone and wallet immediately. (It’s not clear if she fought to keep them). I know conventional wisdom back in the day was just give everything up. It’s possible we, especially young people, have lost this knowledge or it hasn’t been passed on to them in a strong enough way, because now NY is “so safe.”

Anyone recall the days of decoy wallets? I never had one but it’s the type of thing people used to consider.
I think if it was in the dark days she never would have entered Morningside Park. Columbia/Barnard are up on the HILL, and it was set up for that to be NO reason to walk down steps into Morningside Park. The 1 train even lets you off at 116th Street-Columbia University.

It's possible due to delays on the 1 train somewhere downtown (the subway always has some screw up) she took the B or C and figured she could just cross the park and walk up the steps.

But regardless of that detail I think you're absolutely right. Guards have gone down because people believed the propaganda the city is so safe. So clearly not, as this and several other incidents demonstrate.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:14 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,529,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
with me it’s not about race when it comes to murder. It’s about the act. I knew the vic was white when it was reported. It garnered media attention fast, then they threw in the fact she was a Barnard college student in the mix.

they are gonna fry him in the justice system. a little black boy MURDERING a bourgeoning white college student? Kiss his life goodbye. Oh well. Let him fry.
I think what is happening in NYC is that certain unnamed groups of ethnic and religious backgrounds, not so much the undocumented, are being cuddled by our Mayor, and Politicians for votes, and given lots of attention to all the goodies they get, i.e., underage in jails out........too young.....the police under the Mayor, Governor, and Politicians give these groups their most attention, and it has gotten to be that when these ethnic groups tell the politicians to JUMP, they all JUMP......THIS is creating lots of hate and divisions between NYC people. My Property Taxes have skyrocketed, so has my Medical Insurance, taxes are pushing the middle-classes out of NYC.....

Listening to the News on ABC and Spectrum the other night, about the Homeless Families being sent to New Jersey's, Jersey City.....It was stated by one of the two networks at 6 p.m., that these Landlords are being paid by NYC $20,000 per family to each landlord, plus the monthly rents........out of the people of NY taxes.

The recent "Domestic Terrorism," in Jersey City, NJ, being done by HOMELESS people that were living out of a Van, may have been the result of what I have stated above. HATE for one of these groups.......who are being cuddled......and given way too much........

I rest my case.......

Old 12-13-2019, 04:21 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,621,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

But that mindset rewards people for being degenerate criminals.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,170,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
I think what is happening in NYC is that certain unnamed groups of ethnic and religious backgrounds, not so much the undocumented, are being cuddled by our Mayor, and Politicians for votes, and given lots of attention to all the goodies they get, i.e., underage in jails out........too young.....the police under the Mayor, Governor, and Politicians give these groups their most attention, and it has gotten to be that when these ethnic groups tell the politicians to JUMP, they all JUMP......THIS is creating lots of hate and divisions between NYC people. My Property Taxes have skyrocketed, so has my Medical Insurance, taxes are pushing the middle-classes out of NYC.....

Listening to the News on ABC and Spectrum the other night, about the Homeless Families being sent to New Jersey's, Jersey City.....It was stated by one of the two networks at 6 p.m., that these Landlords are being paid by NYC $20,000 per family to each landlord, plus the monthly rents........out of the people of NY taxes.

The recent "Domestic Terrorism," in Jersey City, NJ, being done by HOMELESS people that were living out of a Van, may have been the result of what I have stated above. HATE for one of these groups.......who are being cuddled......and given way too much........

I rest my case.......
Normally I don’t comment on spelling and grammar, but I think you mean coddled. Not cuddled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City