Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 05:21 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,774,977 times

Advertisements

at New York City’s elite high schools.

"Out of 5,000 admissions offers to incoming ninth-graders, 172 went to black students and 298 to Latino students. Can you imagine if @Harvard or @Stanford had an admissions record like that? It would be a scandal. And those are private schools, not public ones." Grace Rauh

"New York City’s renowned specialized high schools have never reflected the city’s diversity. The Mayor is going to do something about that". Eric Phillips

https://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/ny/2...-high-schools/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 05:23 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,602,198 times
wow

Old 06-02-2018, 05:24 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,494,604 times
Political correctness going to far

Old 06-02-2018, 05:26 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,602,198 times
maybe so

Old 06-02-2018, 05:37 PM

31,931 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
at New York City’s elite high schools.

"Out of 5,000 admissions offers to incoming ninth-graders, 172 went to black students and 298 to Latino students. Can you imagine if @Harvard or @Stanford had an admissions record like that? It would be a scandal. And those are private schools, not public ones." Grace Rauh

"New York City’s renowned specialized high schools have never reflected the city’s diversity. The Mayor is going to do something about that". Eric Phillips

https://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/ny/2...-high-schools/

Read the article; nothing more than PC rubbish from Heir Commissar de Blasio, pandering to his peeps once again.

Expanding the "Discovery Program" won't do that much for the usual suspects whining about "diversity" and or otherwise not making the cut. Only real changes can come via Albany who control most of the admission process including admission exam.

People need to stop blaming "The Man" or "Mr. Charlie" or whatever for their own short comings. If your kid was dumb as dirt in grade school through middle, he or she suddenly isn't going to wake up in 7th or 8th grade an Einstein.

Focus on your kid or kids from day one like everyone else, that is how they will succeed. This quota nonsense and or otherwise forcing people in where they aren't qualified just does not work.

A good number of these "discovery" kids can't hack it the specialized schools and are gone by 10th grade

Old 06-02-2018, 05:40 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,494,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Read the article; nothing more than PC rubbish from Heir Commissar de Blasio, pandering to his peeps once again.

Expanding the "Discovery Program" won't do that much for the usual suspects whining about "diversity" and or otherwise not making the cut. Only real changes can come via Albany who control most of the admission process including admission exam.

People need to stop blaming "The Man" or "Mr. Charlie" or whatever for their own short comings. If your kid was dumb as dirt in grade school through middle, he or she suddenly isn't going to wake up in 7th or 8th grade an Einstein.

Focus on your kid or kids from day one like everyone else, that is how they will succeed. This quota nonsense and or otherwise forcing people in where they aren't qualified just does not work.

A good number of these "discovery" kids can't hack it the specialized schools and are gone by 10th grade
And it's not the end of the world if you don't go to a specialized high school anyway

Old 06-02-2018, 05:45 PM

31,931 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
And it's not the end of the world if you don't go to a specialized high school anyway
Yeah but the usual suspects see things that way. Just as if the world will end if they don't live in Garden City, Long Island, UES, nicer parts of Westchester and so forth.

But that's them all over; it isn't the outcome which matters just that they pushed in and have a seat at the table.

It cracks me up because Asian, and Afro Caribbean kids come from the same areas as some others moaning about their situation going to the same schools. And yet some how, some how, they manage to pass the required exams and have grades to get into top NYC high schools. Now I wonder why that happens?

Old 06-02-2018, 05:51 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,774,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Harsh but...I'm with you on this one. Also, back when I was a high schooler they did offer special privileges to students that came from "designated disadvantaged areas". Something like if they failed to make the cut off by I don't know how many points but if they just failed to make it, they got a pass and got accepted over another kid that failed. I know because one of my classmates got in for that reason.

She did well. Graduated. Went to NYU. Was a very intelligent book smart as well as street smart kid. I'm still friends with her to this day.

I wonder if they still offer that. If they do, then what more do they want. I know people at the time were up in arms over that small privilege given to disadvantaged-at-risk youths. So, I don't know what's going to happen if more passes are given.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:25 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,082,400 times
The NBA is 74% black. The USA is 18% black. I'm led to believe the NBA is a meritocracy, of which skill is based on entry.

Clearly ability and diversity are not consistent.

These are specialty high schools for academically gifted or incredibly devoted kids.

I see the challenge in offering something like that. If one truly doesn't believe in it, just scrap these schools and turn them into open HS with no admission policy.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:35 PM

766 posts, read 508,392 times
I didn't get into a specialized high school and turned out just fine. I got my masters and make six figures in my career.

The city needs to focus on dozens of high schools throughout the city that are failing instead of trying to change whats working at specialized high schools. Schools are overcrowded and the academic criteria is lackluster even the AP classes.

20% set aside for low income minorities isn't detrimental but i wonder where middle class minorities fit into this this equation. If they fell short by 2 points will they get passed over a spot for a lower income student that fell 4 points?

What are the requirements for low income?

Still not a fan of this plan, Deblasio is trying to solve every problem. However, he has strike out with affordable housing, homelessness and im sure this is going to fail as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City