Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:41 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Harsh but...I'm with you on this one. Also, back when I was a high schooler they did offer special privileges to students that came from "designated disadvantaged areas". Something like if they failed to make the cut off by I don't know how many points but if they just failed to make it, they got a pass and got accepted over another kid that failed. I know because one of my classmates got in for that reason.

Upwards of the 1970's AFAIK there were two score limits. One for everyone and one for for those from "designated disadvantaged areas". As far as I remember there was a 30 point difference. As I'm a BTHS graduate, I was also a student tutor during my time there. During the first half of the year we had a packed classroom of people to tutor. In the second half of the year we had less than a dozen. As my scheduling was done by the counselors on the first floor, they told me numerous students had failed so miserably in the first half of the year across the board in all their classes that they had to be transferred out. There just wasn't enough hours and tutors in the day to assist them across the board. IMO it comes down to those who want to be there, studied every night.

fwiw Asians were not anywhere close to being a majority there at the time. I actually became fluent in spoken Spanish while I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
at New York City’s elite high schools.

"Out of 5,000 admissions offers to incoming ninth-graders, 172 went to black students and 298 to Latino students. Can you imagine if @Harvard or @Stanford had an admissions record like that? It would be a scandal. And those are private schools, not public ones." Grace Rauh

"New York City’s renowned specialized high schools have never reflected the city’s diversity. The Mayor is going to do something about that". Eric Phillips

https://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/ny/2...-high-schools/
My yearbook begs to differ.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:04 AM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
As an asian american, I wonder my people, like the sheep we are, always vote for democrats. Liberal affirmative action has done nothing but continuously screw over my people since it demonizes our success. We have to be extra-overqualified to apply for anything.
Are you talking about people from East Asia? Then it might be because mainstream East Asian government policy aligns with a good chunk of progressive political platforms like equitable funding and resources for schools regardless of the district it's in, pro-choice on reproductive issues, single-payer socialized health care, investment and large modal share in mass transit, limited foreign interventionism, keeping religion out of politics and government policy, large scale funding for public universities and research, much stronger government regulation/intervention in land use and resource policy, and a generally good social welfare support. The two issues where that differs quite a bit is on LGBT issues, but it's not so much actively campaigned against as just put under the rug though even that's changed a bit and immigration. For China, there's also the obvious difference in how representatives are selected for government, but the general policies that the government enacts on the aforementioned issues are about right.

I think the motivation for having people from different communities be academically successful just that this implementation of it is wrong-headed, though it's not like this is that far off from what's in East Asia either. They definitely have a system where schools add points / 加分 for people for various reasons including reasons not too dissimilar from the ostensible reason De Blasio is backing this.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-04-2018 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-04-2018, 10:11 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
PC narrative does not give an eff about asians.
Asians generally don’t vote or speak up.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:15 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Upwards of the 1970's AFAIK there were two score limits. One for everyone and one for for those from "designated disadvantaged areas". As far as I remember there was a 30 point difference. As I'm a BTHS graduate, I was also a student tutor during my time there. During the first half of the year we had a packed classroom of people to tutor. In the second half of the year we had less than a dozen. As my scheduling was done by the counselors on the first floor, they told me numerous students had failed so miserably in the first half of the year across the board in all their classes that they had to be transferred out. There just wasn't enough hours and tutors in the day to assist them across the board. IMO it comes down to those who want to be there, studied every night.

fwiw Asians were not anywhere close to being a majority there at the time. I actually became fluent in spoken Spanish while I was there.
There were less Asians in the city back then. A lot less.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:18 AM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Much fewer people in general, too. We need more good schools.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-04-2018 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-04-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It really doesn't matter how many Asians were then compared to now. IMO it all comes down to study habits and willingness to learn. After BTHS I went into the military and afterwards onto PolyTech (late 80's). While at Polytech I was hired by CUNY to be a tutor in Mathematics for them where I worked at NYCTC and KCC. Most of the people I tutored were White and had failed the Mathematics part of the CUNY tests. Many of the other tutors were Black and Hispanic.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:35 AM

1,300 posts, read 961,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboom View Post
It isn't the school that makes the kid smart. It is the kids who are already smart who makes the school prestigious. The assumption that a good school will convert disadvantage kids into scholars is absurd. A school isn't a potion that completely changes people's mentality and behavior. In fact, these kids who barely pass by will struggle in these schools along with complain about the burden of the homework load.

I'm a pro affirmative action liberal and I realize that this is true. Ideology trumps reason when analyzing this issue and those on the far left can only allow themselves to reference the external threats and are unduly averse to acknowledging the internal flaws that need to be corrected. These performance gaps will simply never close until the underperforming communities are able to embrace the idea of internal culture deconstruction and transformation.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:36 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
deblasio hates asians.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:34 PM

5,148 posts, read 4,980,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Read the article; nothing more than PC rubbish from Heir Commissar de Blasio, pandering to his peeps once again.

Expanding the "Discovery Program" won't do that much for the usual suspects whining about "diversity" and or otherwise not making the cut. Only real changes can come via Albany who control most of the admission process including admission exam.

People need to stop blaming "The Man" or "Mr. Charlie" or whatever for their own short comings. If your kid was dumb as dirt in grade school through middle, he or she suddenly isn't going to wake up in 7th or 8th grade an Einstein.

Focus on your kid or kids from day one like everyone else, that is how they will succeed. This quota nonsense and or otherwise forcing people in where they aren't qualified just does not work.

A good number of these "discovery" kids can't hack it the specialized schools and are gone by 10th grade

this sound hilariously grumpy...why are you so anti-diversity in public education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City