Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 07:16 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,122,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
at New York City’s elite high schools.

"Out of 5,000 admissions offers to incoming ninth-graders, 172 went to black students and 298 to Latino students. Can you imagine if @Harvard or @Stanford had an admissions record like that? It would be a scandal. And those are private schools, not public ones." Grace Rauh

"New York City’s renowned specialized high schools have never reflected the city’s diversity. The Mayor is going to do something about that". Eric Phillips

https://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/ny/2...-high-schools/

If those numbers were artificially increased much, the schools would no longer be "elite."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 07:19 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,213,046 times
I suppose they want to lower admission requirements according to race

Old 06-03-2018, 07:40 AM

90 posts, read 71,952 times
It isn't the school that makes the kid smart. It is the kids who are already smart who makes the school prestigious. The assumption that a good school will convert disadvantage kids into scholars is absurd. A school isn't a potion that completely changes people's mentality and behavior. In fact, these kids who barely pass by will struggle in these schools along with complain about the burden of the homework load.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:14 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,749,767 times
Laughing at y'all who think that a single high-stakes test accurately captures even "school intelligence" for everybody.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:52 PM

16,148 posts, read 6,889,183 times
Response to Aeran:

"Out of 5,000 admissions offers to incoming ninth-graders, 172 went to black students and 298 to Latino students. Can you imagine if @Harvard or @Stanford had an admissions record like that? It would be a scandal. And those are private schools, not public ones." Grace Rauh

Why? Why should it be a scandal. It's called admission because one wishing to enter meets or exceeds a basic requirement.
Doesn't matter if it's Sports,the Game of Life or Hollywood.............well...............jury still out on Hollywood.
As a young man and many a time spent in the art of pugilism I found the boxers with the most experience
always chosen over those with less. same goes for education. The smarter gets the choice over the ones not as................

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 06-03-2018 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 03:15 PM

37,238 posts, read 39,519,313 times
I can agree with the idea that we have a diversity problem in terms of uneven educational attainment among different communities, but changing the admissions process for some of the best high schools in the city seems like a pretty goofy way to address that.

I think everyone can agree with the idea that we want the education system here to be better and that there should be a good, functional ladder for kids to do better than their parents did in receiving a good education and becoming a great contributing citizen in adulthood. However, this is a ham-fisted approach to doing so. There are a lot of bright kids that don’t get into the great schools, but in my view, the approach should lean towards two things:

Creating more good high schools whether the SHSAT is the only component, one of several components, or not one of the components for admission at all is possible. Recall that the city in the last couple decades has actually created several new public high schools that are great and in the last US News Ranking, several of the high schools who were not officially specialized high schools ranked as well or better (including the top ranking public high school in all of New York state) than the specialized high schools. Since that’s the case, then the move should be to adapt more high schools to be like those and to improve public high schools in general.

The other issue is that there is an achievement gap that develops much earlier on well before high school and trying to do remedial education by the time of high school to keep pace is a far less effective method than trying to close that gap and keep that gap closed in the several years prior to entering high school. It should be instead that longer hours and summer sessions and the resources to do so be directed towards grade schools and middle schools in places where that gap appears is the better policy. These kids then also get more adult supervision to concentrate on academic achievement even if their home environment isn’t particularly conducive to that.

Ultimately, all these kids will need to compete with a much larger pool in entering college and then again in the workforce, so mussing with the existing institutions that are working rather than focusing on the institutions that aren’t seems inefficient.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-03-2018 at 03:36 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 03:49 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,680,830 times
The Discovery Plan is straight outta HEOP/EOP! (HEOP for private NYS colleges, and EOP for SUNY!). I like this! Admit a certain amount just under the score cutoff, and require summer school. I'm not a Tech, Stuy or Sciene alum, but my college alma mater did admit me through HEOP! And proud of it! Got my Syracuse degree on my wall! HEOP and EOP works for college, and so will Discovery for the SHS's!

Don't think the entire test should be scrapped! BUT.....free test prep in underserved hoods! Neighborhoods like Flushing and Parkchester have private test prep businesses that cater to the neighborhood demographics! Time for affordable, accessible public options, elsewhere! (because $1,000 for Kaplan and Princeton Review are not cheap!)

And most important! Holding counselors accountable for unfair, discriminatory guidance of kids in both their high school and college searches! Folk have stories.....!

Old 06-03-2018, 03:55 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,086,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The Discovery Plan is straight outta HEOP/EOP! (HEOP for private NYS colleges, and EOP for SUNY!). I like this! Admit a certain amount just under the score cutoff, and require summer school. I'm not a Tech, Stuy or Sciene alum, but my college alma mater did admit me through HEOP! And proud of it! Got my Syracuse degree on my wall! HEOP and EOP works for college, and so will Discovery for the SHS's!

Don't think the entire test should be scrapped! BUT.....free test prep in underserved hoods! Neighborhoods like Flushing and Parkchester have private test prep businesses that cater to the neighborhood demographics! Time for affordable, accessible public options, elsewhere! (because $1,000 for Kaplan and Princeton Review are not cheap!)

And most important! Holding counselors accountable for unfair, discriminatory guidance of kids in both their high school and college searches! Folk have stories.....!
Offering free test prep and learning materials for 'underserved' neighborhoods is an important ideal.
I am wagering though, as in the past, the results will largely be unchanged.

If these schools are so fantastic and the cluster of high performing students works so well, why not expand onto these buildings and increase the size of the admitted class each year. Offering spots to another 500 students is bound to help more of all ethnicities get in.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,200 times
Ever wonder why people have less and less respect to Blacks and Latinos? when they can't compete with other ethnic groups they try to change the rules and blame others. What they don't realize is that by lowering the standards, this so called quota or affirmative action will only do more harm to them than good. Those less qualified students in academic will have hard time to compete their peers in the class, hence more likely to drop out. American students already have hard time to compete with students around the world, we need kids with the best academic scores regardless of their race to compete in the world stage. smh.
Why Can't U.S. Students Compete With the Rest of the World?

Old 06-03-2018, 10:23 PM

31,948 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
I suppose they want to lower admission requirements according to race

Pretty much sums things up. It's always the same from usual suspects; African Americans, females, Latino-Hispanics, etc... are "X" number of population so there should be "X" number of NYPD, FDNY or whatever employment, and or same numbers should be reflected in everything from housing to education.

If or when this does not happen it *must* be discrimination because there just isn't any other reason. They will then turn to "disparate impact" statues to push their way in, even if that means lowering the bar so low it can be skipped over.

A female FDNY recruit who *failed* parts of the physical exams several times (this with extra coaching, help, time, etc....) still couldn't pass that exam. So FDNY just waived her through in order to shut down the noise.

That is what is going to happen here; kids who obviously cannot make it will be pushed in, then the elite high schools will be required to dumb things down because the snowflakes cannot do the required work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City