Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 05:10 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,231,185 times

Advertisements

I'm glad that this will bring back the W train and the N will go express again in Manhattan.

I also think that phase 1 will be opening on time or only a little bit late. I was one of those people saying no way this opens anywhere close to December, but I'm becoming more optimistic lately. It could happen!

A lot of people (me included) sometimes like to complain that the MTA never gets anything done on time, but sometimes I like to remind myself that they reopened the R tunnel to Brooklyn a few months earlier than planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 05:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I'm glad that this will bring back the W train and the N will go express again in Manhattan.

I also think that phase 1 will be opening on time or only a little bit late. I was one of those people saying no way this opens anywhere close to December, but I'm becoming more optimistic lately. It could happen!

A lot of people (me included) sometimes like to complain that the MTA never gets anything done on time, but sometimes I like to remind myself that they reopened the R tunnel to Brooklyn a few months earlier than planned.
For something like this it doesn't really matter if it opens on time. What matters is that they open it and it's in good working condition when it opens.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:46 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,847,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not true. The Q train goes to Brooklyn, and that is the Second Avenue Subway during phase 1. When the full length Second Avenue Subway is built, it will have transfers at 125th and Lex, 42nd Street, 53rd Street, 14th Street and Second Avenue. That's plenty of connections, and all North/South lines in Manhattan get plenty of ridership.
I was referring to the 2nd Avenue line, the "T". The Q extension is fine.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:01 AM

43,813 posts, read 44,579,763 times
Several years ago during a harsh winter, I had to go to a business appointment on York Avenue (around 80-81 Streets). Since I have circulation issues in my toes and fingers it was a harsh walk for me from the Lexington subway as it neither the 77th Street Station nor the 86th Street Station were close and a bus only would get me part of the way there. This is besides the crowded Lexington line trains at all hours of the day. Therefore I think the first phase of the Second Avenue subway is a very welcome addition to the public transportation system on the Upper East Side. I think the first phase of the Second Avenue will either open on time or with a relatively short delay. Not sure when (or if?) the 2nd phase will be completed. The other phases (3 & 4) seem more like a pipe dream at this point.

The Second Avenue subway explained | am New York

Old 10-15-2016, 07:52 AM

258 posts, read 196,648 times
Its too bad theres no express tracks....

Old 10-15-2016, 08:33 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
Has anyone seen the train doing its trial runs.
I hear that good viewing is halfway up the escalators at 63rd and Lex.

I am beginning to agree with That_One_Guy that perhaps we WILL be riding Phase ONE this year. Geez, only 2 months away.<panting>

Old 10-15-2016, 09:10 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,760,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am beginning to agree with That_One_Guy that perhaps we WILL be riding Phase ONE this year. Geez, only 2 months away.<panting>
There's always going to be holdups, no one at the MTA is competent enough to properly manage the whole project. It's going to be some elevator problem or some improperly wired switch or something and then it's a 3 month delay and repeat that a few times

Old 10-15-2016, 09:55 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,257,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Several years ago during a harsh winter, I had to go to a business appointment on York Avenue (around 80-81 Streets). Since I have circulation issues in my toes and fingers it was a harsh walk for me from the Lexington subway as it neither the 77th Street Station nor the 86th Street Station were close and a bus only would get me part of the way there. This is besides the crowded Lexington line trains at all hours of the day. Therefore I think the first phase of the Second Avenue subway is a very welcome addition to the public transportation system on the Upper East Side. I think the first phase of the Second Avenue will either open on time or with a relatively short delay. Not sure when (or if?) the 2nd phase will be completed. The other phases (3 & 4) seem more like a pipe dream at this point.

The Second Avenue subway explained | am New York
Oh Boo hoo, many people in the boro's have more than a mile walk to the subway daily. Not just a random one time appointment.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:57 AM

258 posts, read 196,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
many people in the boro's have more than a mile walk to the subway daily.
guess thats true....

Old 10-15-2016, 11:23 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,760,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Here's a sneak peak for anyone interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZYZ9OKxU9g
Notice how in the second train they added steel plates inside the cars to simulate passenger weight. When they tested the JFK airtrain in that manner the computer controller being tested slammed on the brakes and the plates slid and crushed the supervisor to death

Drone footage of SASI:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City