Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 06:27 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
the thing about the second avenue subway is that it doesn't connect to anything useful (like the west side trains connect to port authority/penn station/path) and it doesn't go into the other boroughs. i think it will be solely used for commuters going up and down, which isn't a bad thing, but i don't see much ridership outside of rush hour.
Well, it takes the Q train's current path and then instead of giving people a ride to Long Island City and Astoria, it gives them a go at the northern edge of Midtown West (major employment centers) and the Upper East Side (one of, if not the densest neighborhoods in NYC whose current only subway service is already ridiculously overcrowded).

It seems to me that ridership at these stations will probably be very high, but who knows. It'll be a while before we see if the actual numbers match the projections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 06:52 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's 4 stops, as the Q train will also stop at 63rd and Lexington.

Phase 2 will at least use the existing tunnels built in East Harlem in the 70s. Phase 2 just got funding this year, who knows when phases 3-4 will get funding but I expect the MTA to lobby President Hillary for money for all remaining phases next year as she has said she will spend a lot on infrastructure.
63rd street was already built. They're just opening the second half of the tunnel to link up the three new stops.

As for Phase 2, looooool ..... what phase 2? If you plan on having grand kids maybe they'll get to ride it one day

Old 10-13-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
63rd street was already built. They're just opening the second half of the tunnel to link up the three new stops.

As for Phase 2, looooool ..... what phase 2? If you plan on having grand kids maybe they'll get to ride it one day
Probably by 2030 unless there's another severe economic downturn.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:56 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Probably by 2030 unless there's another severe economic downturn.
If we let the Chinese do it, it will be done in 3 years or less. I am not pro Chinese, but we do waste too much time and money. How much did MTA spend on phase 1? It is only 2 miles and 3 stops. Empire State Building was built in 13 months. April 12, 2017 will be the 10th anniversary of ground breaking. Will the Q train be running by then?

Old 10-13-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
If we let the Chinese do it, it will be done in 3 years or less. I am not pro Chinese, but we do waste too much time and money. How much did MTA spend on phase 1? It is only 2 miles and 3 stops. Empire State Building was built in 13 months. April 12, 2017 will be the 10th anniversary of ground breaking. Will the Q train be running by then?
To clarify, the Q will be running throughout. The new stops will likely be open and running by or before April 12, 2017. They still need to test things in the station, but they don't have anything as complex as the massive inclined escalators and elevators that the 7 train had.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
the thing about the second avenue subway is that it doesn't connect to anything useful (like the west side trains connect to port authority/penn station/path) and it doesn't go into the other boroughs. i think it will be solely used for commuters going up and down, which isn't a bad thing, but i don't see much ridership outside of rush hour.
Not true. The Q train goes to Brooklyn, and that is the Second Avenue Subway during phase 1. When the full length Second Avenue Subway is built, it will have transfers at 125th and Lex, 42nd Street, 53rd Street, 14th Street and Second Avenue. That's plenty of connections, and all North/South lines in Manhattan get plenty of ridership.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

The Phase 2 that just got funded and that has contracts out for bid. It will be done in the 2020s, and I'll still be around. I'm not old.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:38 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
My only opinion is that it's a colossal waste of money to build a subway two blocks away from an existing line.

I guess you've never been on the Lex Ave lines than?? Complete sardine can during rush hours.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:18 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The Phase 2 that just got funded and that has contracts out for bid. It will be done in the 2020s, and I'll still be around. I'm not old.
The 2020's sounds reasonable for Phase 2. As you mentioned earlier the tunnels are supposedly already built, they'll probably just need some slight modifications.

I just wonder how useful the first two phases will be. I could see someone travelling from Union Square to the UES choosing this line over the LEX, but what about the people travelling from Lower Manhattan (Specifically Fulton Street) or Grand Central in Midtown.

But as someone said earlier it's an improvement. It'll definitely be more useful than that Hudson Yards station.

Here's a sneak peak for anyone interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZYZ9OKxU9g

Old 10-13-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
The 2020's sounds reasonable for Phase 2. As you mentioned earlier the tunnels are supposedly already built, they'll probably just need some slight modifications.

I just wonder how useful the first two phases will be. I could see someone travelling from Union Square to the UES choosing this line over the LEX, but what about the people travelling from Lower Manhattan (Specifically Fulton Street) or Grand Central in Midtown.

But as someone said earlier it's an improvement. It'll definitely be more useful than that Hudson Yards station.

Here's a sneak peak for anyone interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZYZ9OKxU9g
Keep in mind there are people from the UES who take the LEX to 59th Street to transfer to the N, Q, R to go to Midtown West. Similarly there are people who take the Lex to 42nd Street to transfer to the 7 or S train to go to Midtown West or Times Square.

So the first two phases by themselves are useful. Plus you can take the Q train to 63rd and Lex and transfer directly to the F to Midtown or Queens (on the Lex line you have to walk three blocks to transfer to the F).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City