Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,136,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I'm not reading through all of the thread but why is University Heights orange while everything around it is red?
I remember somebody saying that the area to the west and north of Bronx Community College is alright, but to the south and east isn't. It was a fairly recent thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,812,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The thing is that they're not going to report every little crime that happens on the crime map.

As for the safety zones, those are done by precinct, which is way too large a level to go by. For instance, the Rockaways are all one precinct, so somebody could think that Far Rockaway is just as safe as Neponsit, when that is far from true.

And for commuting times, it would be helpful to have a quick and easy tool, rather than having to put in addresses for every single neighborhood you're considering moving to.

Alright. I'll add them tomorrow.

That's the thing: I originally started the map for SI, which is the borough I'm 100% familiar with, so it was comparing safety of SI neighborhoods to the safety of other SI neighborhoods, which was easy for me. But then I made the maps for the other boroughs and suddenly I felt like I had to redo the SI map. I can only make minor changes for now, but I'll probably redo the SI map next week.

As for South Jamaica, I originally wanted to put it in red, and I think I put the area by the subway stations in orange, but then SeventhFloor said to put it in yellow, and only put certain pockets in orange. Since he's from Queens, I just took his word on it.

And I put Ridgewood in orange because I remember you saying the parts that border Bushwick are shady, but I guess I extended the borders up too far. Where do you think the orange should stop at?

Alright. I'll change it tomorrow.

Except that you run into the problem of population density. All things being equal, more people = more crime, so an area with apartment buildings is going to seem much more dangerous than an area with single-family homes, when that might not necessarily be the case.
Again, I know seventh floor knows his stuff and normally I would never argue with him about that side of Queens... But I know that area very well and especially by your classifications of other neighborhoods not only in Queens but throughout, that area at bare minimum should be orange... That area for the last 2-3 years or so, has seen a gradual increase in crime and if you ask people in the neighborhood how they feel about the area, they'll tell you one of two things... 1) it's as bad as it's always been... or 2) it seems to be getting worse recently... And I could definitely vouge for that...

When I was going back to york college to finish up my education degree recently, within 2 years we received 3 email notifications about students who had been mugged, beaten up and in one case a student was left in a coma while leaving the school building... I've also worked in some of the nearby schools as a substitute while I was finishing up my degree and I've seen it all around here...

To be honest, that area of Jamaica/South Jamaica (and the area I'm talking about encompasses part of the red that you did have listed) is one of the few areas that reminded me of my old neighborhood in East NY when I lived there in the 90s... I remember while I worked at YECA (York Early College Academy) which was a few blocks from the South Jamaica Houses seeing empty lot after empty lot, crack vials, abandomed home after abandoned home... It really was a shock to me because even when I went to visit my old hood, I didn't see that type of stuff anymore... The city had done a fantastic job in building low income housing where former vacant lots had once stood...

I know this is just the opinion of one person but as I said before just IMO that area that you made yellow from Jamaica ave between 130 to 170 I would make orange... It isn't completely dangerous at all times, but it is definitely an area where you need to be street smart and take precaution even during the day time and at night time it's a whole different animal...

In terms of Ridgewood, I know I may point out it's flaws alot on this cite but it's only because I love this neighborhood and any QOL issues that I see becoming a recurring pattern I focus on and try to discuss ways of improving it... That being said, there are still parts of Ridgewood where you definitely need to take precaution... Myrtle ave for example in Ridgewood throughout isn't dangerous in the daytime but at night time can be seedy especially once you cross seneca going towards wyckoff... Also Seneca to wyckoff from Gates to Cooper can be sketchy but it isn't every block...

The other part of Ridgewood that has changed but still has its share of problems is the other side of Ridgewood from Himrod to Starr/Troutman really from grandview on towards cypress... Again it isn't all blocks within the area but select ones... I don't think that you were completely wrong on Ridgewood but I think that some of the areas highlighted that included Fresh Pond Rd. and Forest ave as either yellow or orange went a little too far... The only areas in that section that can sometimes be a little questionable are the areas immediately surrounding the Forest and Fresh Pond M train stations mainly because of the large apartment buildings that are nearby... Other than that I thought you were pretty spot on... The only reason why I mentioned you having Ridgewood as orange was because in comparison with South Jamaica, Ridgewood isn't considered a bad area just a working class area that has its problems... That isn't the case with South Jamaica...

Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,137 times
Ridgewood is a mix of yellow and orange.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,258,262 times
The red area in East Harlem should be all the way to Park Ave. instead of ending at Lexington.

Park Ave. is sketchy, desolate and loaded with projects and under the Metro-North tracks perfect place to jump someone.

137th in Mott Haven between Mitchell and Millbrook should be "Super Red" last year there were atleast 2 murders on that stretch.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 AM

675 posts, read 1,257,305 times
South Jamaica in 2012 is actually much improved compared to the old days thank goodness. I'm talking the officer Byrne assassination era of South Jamaica, you would have to color that purple lol

Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM

34,121 posts, read 47,349,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
In terms of South Jamaica, this is the biggest??????????? of them all... I work here and went to college around here and the areas by Jamaica avenue from the 130s to the 180s where the bus terminal is at is as bad as any area in queens... At the bare minimum those should be orange and I wouldn't think twice to put them as red... This year alone i've witnessed 3 or 4 shootouts in broad daylight... I was a block away when they shot up the Q111 bus... I was on the corner of archer ave and parsons when there was a shootout around there about 2 months ago and I was on the bus passing wendy's when those three thugs from MS-13 were shot in a drive-by by latin king members... We had to wait 30 minutes since cops are incapable of doing their job quickly... There was about 15 police officers just standing around talking about what to do instead of just doing it...
The areas immediately south of Jamaica Avenue (South Jamaica) are orange....40 projects are in red.....south of Linden Boulevard, South Jamaica really isn't that bad in my opinion. If you've even driven up Sutphin Boulevard, the neighborhood changes like almost instantly north of Linden Boulevard. And Jamaica Avenue is a huge shopping district, most of the crime that happens around there are because of the surrounding high schools, thats why I chose to tell checkmate to put it at yellow. If you're an adult in the area working or shopping you're pretty much fine. Even late at night, Jamaica Avenue itself is a little desolate, but I wouldn't say dangerous, because not a lot of people are on the street. Most traffic is people coming off the E/J/Z trains and from the movie theater late at night. If you want to be more specific, I will advocate to change the area between Jamaica Avenue, Hillside Avenue, the Van Wyck Expwy and 170th Street to orange. But I stand by the South Jamaica decision. The worst part of the area is really anything north of Linden Boulevard.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM

For all those that have responded, thank you. It is a work in progress and we will continue to rely on those who have an expertise in certain areas to lend their comments/constructive criticism.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,655,604 times
If housing projects are yellow by default, you missed a block on Upper East Side. That is 92nd to 93rd st and 1st to York ave.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Queens and Brooklyn safety maps have been updated to include:

Queens:
All NYCHA in L.I.C. have been made yellow
North of Jamaica Avenue in orange
Rochdale Village corridor of Guy R Brewer and Rockaway Blvd west of Van Wyck changed to orange
Cambria Heights, Laurelton, Queens Village - yellow

Brooklyn:
Wyckoff Gardens - yellow
Gowanus Houses - orange

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 03-06-2012 at 12:00 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
If housing projects are yellow by default, you missed a block on Upper East Side. That is 92nd to 93rd st and 1st to York ave.
Fixed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City