Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
yes there are lots of websites for this, but i'm talking an app that does it all for you. one app. not multiple apps. not multiple websites.

The way that checkmate did it, it's simple. Color coordinated with an easy to use legend. You don't have to interpret any sort of data.

people pay for easy.

1)Computer science 101; Don't try to cramp everything into one website/app.
It's far better to be good at one thing than medriocre at several. That's exactly why Google or most top developers don't cramp all of their apps into one. Just imagine how chaotic and confusing that would be.

2)Crime in an area doesn't change overnight. It's an on-going process, so it would be pretty useless/boring to have an app that would have the same colors for so long.

3)If you want an app that reports individual crimes on a daily basis, I'd gladly tell you there's already one for that. It's called 'Crime Spot'. I have it on my Android phone and it's pretty cool. Guess what the best part of it is?
It's FREE!!

you had the poor OP thinking that he was sitting on a gold mine, when it's not.

His map is visually appealing, but hardly the next great idea on the web.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:30 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,642 times
This safety map concept posted onto city-data and receiving feedback and changing accordingly reminds me alot of wikipedia and from what I've seen from these maps about 90% of it is pretty accurate... The more opinions based on these neighborhoods the more trustworthy these statistics become...

A couple of things that I noticed that struck me though... You seem to make Staten Island look like the hood when in comparison with the rest of the boroughs it is easily the safest of all of them... I do agree with Brighton Beach being shady and if anyone questions that they should check last year's crime statistics when they hit a record high in murders last year even dating back 80s and 90s...

Also in terms of Starrett city, that area used to be much better but the complex itself has changed for the worst in recent years... I would that orange as well...

I think that the projects in Astoria are good the way they are because if you go by the statistics and not people's opinions, these projects tend to have more violent crime than Queensbridge projects...

In terms of South Jamaica, this is the biggest??????????? of them all... I work here and went to college around here and the areas by Jamaica avenue from the 130s to the 180s where the bus terminal is at is as bad as any area in queens... At the bare minimum those should be orange and I wouldn't think twice to put them as red... This year alone i've witnessed 3 or 4 shootouts in broad daylight... I was a block away when they shot up the Q111 bus... I was on the corner of archer ave and parsons when there was a shootout around there about 2 months ago and I was on the bus passing wendy's when those three thugs from MS-13 were shot in a drive-by by latin king members... We had to wait 30 minutes since cops are incapable of doing their job quickly... There was about 15 police officers just standing around talking about what to do instead of just doing it...

Also, if that area is only yellow then there's no way that the vast majority of my neighborhood in Ridgewood should be orange... South Jamaica and Jamaica are WAAYY more shady than most of my neighborhood aside from maybe parts that border Bushwick...

Old 03-05-2012, 06:35 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
1)Computer science 101; Don't try to cramp everything into one website/app.
It's far better to be good at one thing than medriocre at several. That's exactly why Google or most top developers don't cramp all of their apps into one. Just imagine how chaotic and confusing that would be.

2)Crime in an area doesn't change overnight. It's an on-going process, so it would be pretty useless/boring to have an app that would have the same colors for so long.

3)If you want an app that reports individual crimes on a daily basis, I'd gladly tell you there's already one for that. It's called 'Crime Spot'. I have it on my Android phone and it's pretty cool. Guess what the best part of it is?
It's FREE!!

you had the poor OP thinking that he was sitting on a gold mine, when it's not.

His map is visually appealing, but hardly the next great idea on the web.
you want to talk about free apps... talk to the guy who made fake pokemon, and yugio apps for a dollar a download and then had thousands and thousands of people download them. even with all 1 star reviews.

also you don't have to have the next great idea. you just have to do it better. do you really think google was the first search engine?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I changed the Marcy Houses to red (I didn't realize I left them out).

As for Stuyvesant Heights, does the stuff from the worse parts of Bed-Stuy affect that area?

No but let me clarify, it's very specific desirable land marked blocks that are centered around the restaurant strip along Lewis Ave (hey those wine bars, coffee shops and Sunday brunch spots are catering to someone). These are the blocks that command the $800K brownstones. I'd probably extend the orange east to Lewis Ave but stay south of Halsey or maybe Jefferson...but I'd want someone (who is not talking sh*t and currently LIVES IN THIS SECTION OF BED-STUY) to cosign. My explicit familiarity is with Western Stuy but I do have quite a few friends that live in this section of Bed Stuy (and no, they haven't been shot, stabbed or worse yet, had their MacBooks stolen) so I've been there enough times both during the night and day to suggest that you might want to give the red designation a second thought...

Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

Also in terms of Starrett city, that area used to be much better but the complex itself has changed for the worst in recent years... I would that orange as well...
I stated this also. The area has gone downhill steadily since the 90's. We finally escaped in '98.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
You made the Jackson Heights historic district "seedy"? I think parts of Jackson Heights are seedy (like along Roosevelt Ave), but certainly not the areas between 37th Ave and Northern Blvd in most of the 70s and 80s streets.

Last edited by Henna; 03-05-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 PM

400 posts, read 983,373 times
A WAY better way to gauge safety by using maps is to combine the

Stop and frisk
and the New York City Homicide map.

High stop and frisk areas combined with mapping of homicides should be the best indicator of danger/safety.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
No offense to the OP but this isn't nothing new.

There's a website with individual crime mapping
New York, NY Crime Map - Showing Crimes in New York - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

And the same concept the OP posted is already up on a website
New York City - Manhattan Safety Zones. NYC Manhattan Safety Zones. Neighborhood Safety Map: Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island

(Which btw, corroborates that the area of Astoria painted as Orange should be really Yellow)

As for commuting times, Google maps already has that option with lots of details.
The thing is that they're not going to report every little crime that happens on the crime map.

As for the safety zones, those are done by precinct, which is way too large a level to go by. For instance, the Rockaways are all one precinct, so somebody could think that Far Rockaway is just as safe as Neponsit, when that is far from true.

And for commuting times, it would be helpful to have a quick and easy tool, rather than having to put in addresses for every single neighborhood you're considering moving to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
ETA: Also there are projects on the west side of Ralph Ave. by Flatlands Ave. I only remembered because I passed it this morning. (Farragut Houses I think?) Those should be yellow.
Alright. I'll add them tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
A couple of things that I noticed that struck me though... You seem to make Staten Island look like the hood when in comparison with the rest of the boroughs it is easily the safest of all of them... I do agree with Brighton Beach being shady and if anyone questions that they should check last year's crime statistics when they hit a record high in murders last year even dating back 80s and 90s...

I think that the projects in Astoria are good the way they are because if you go by the statistics and not people's opinions, these projects tend to have more violent crime than Queensbridge projects...

In terms of South Jamaica, this is the biggest??????????? of them all... I work here and went to college around here and the areas by Jamaica avenue from the 130s to the 180s where the bus terminal is at is as bad as any area in queens... At the bare minimum those should be orange and I wouldn't think twice to put them as red... This year alone i've witnessed 3 or 4 shootouts in broad daylight... I was a block away when they shot up the Q111 bus... I was on the corner of archer ave and parsons when there was a shootout around there about 2 months ago and I was on the bus passing wendy's when those three thugs from MS-13 were shot in a drive-by by latin king members... We had to wait 30 minutes since cops are incapable of doing their job quickly... There was about 15 police officers just standing around talking about what to do instead of just doing it...

Also, if that area is only yellow then there's no way that the vast majority of my neighborhood in Ridgewood should be orange... South Jamaica and Jamaica are WAAYY more shady than most of my neighborhood aside from maybe parts that border Bushwick...
That's the thing: I originally started the map for SI, which is the borough I'm 100% familiar with, so it was comparing safety of SI neighborhoods to the safety of other SI neighborhoods, which was easy for me. But then I made the maps for the other boroughs and suddenly I felt like I had to redo the SI map. I can only make minor changes for now, but I'll probably redo the SI map next week.

As for South Jamaica, I originally wanted to put it in red, and I think I put the area by the subway stations in orange, but then SeventhFloor said to put it in yellow, and only put certain pockets in orange. Since he's from Queens, I just took his word on it.

And I put Ridgewood in orange because I remember you saying the parts that border Bushwick are shady, but I guess I extended the borders up too far. Where do you think the orange should stop at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
No but let me clarify, it's very specific desirable land marked blocks that are centered around the restaurant strip along Lewis Ave (hey those wine bars, coffee shops and Sunday brunch spots are catering to someone). These are the blocks that command the $800K brownstones. I'd probably extend the orange east to Lewis Ave but stay south of Halsey or maybe Jefferson...but I'd want someone (who is not talking sh*t and currently LIVES IN THIS SECTION OF BED-STUY) to cosign. My explicit familiarity is with Western Stuy but I do have quite a few friends that live in this section of Bed Stuy (and no, they haven't been shot, stabbed or worse yet, had their MacBooks stolen) so I've been there enough times both during the night and day to suggest that you might want to give the red designation a second thought...
Alright. I'll change it tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
A WAY better way to gauge safety by using maps is to combine the

Stop and frisk
and the New York City Homicide map.

High stop and frisk areas combined with mapping of homicides should be the best indicator of danger/safety.
Except that you run into the problem of population density. All things being equal, more people = more crime, so an area with apartment buildings is going to seem much more dangerous than an area with single-family homes, when that might not necessarily be the case.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
I'm not reading through all of the thread but why is University Heights orange while everything around it is red?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,509 times
I honestly feel like some areas in Chelsea should be marked yellow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City