Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 01:04 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Brighton Beach is shady?
Between Brighton 1st & 8th and Neptune & BB Ave late at night it is ( the Bri 10 zigzag is really not safe). But the Boardwalk is pretty safe for some reason.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Between Brighton 1st & 8th and Neptune & BB Ave late at night it is ( the Bri 10 zigzag is really not safe). But the Boardwalk is pretty safe for some reason.
Must have changed over the last few years. Now I know why I was catching apt listings there for dirt cheap.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
You shaded the area around Marcy projects in orange and the area around Stuyvesant Heights in red?
I changed the Marcy Houses to red (I didn't realize I left them out).

As for Stuyvesant Heights, does the stuff from the worse parts of Bed-Stuy affect that area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Why is South Jamaica yellow? That whole area should be orange.
I originally wanted to make it red, but SeventhFloor told me to make it yellow, except for the projects (and then the surrounding area should be orange).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
@OP,

Foley Square and a bunch of court houses are yellow, a BIG ?

Ray Kelly will call you Monday morning after he sees NYPD HQ marked as yellow.
Aren't there some housing projects just north of the Brooklyn Bridge? My policy is to put any area with housing projects in yellow (maybe I should make a note of it on the map). If you don't like it, you can make your own safety map (and I don't mean that in any kind of sarcastic way).

I'd just like to point out that most of my real experience (as in actually walking through, rather than passing by in a car, bus, or train) is in Staten Island and a few parts of Brooklyn, so it's hard to make a comparison. I originally started this for SI since it's my home borough, but it's kind of hard to determine if say, southern Port Richmond is on the same level as South Jamaica. Looking again, I think I need to bring a few areas on SI down a notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Seriously dude, if I was you I would have made sn iphone app about this subject on areas to avoid for transient white urbanites et al. Since the majority of yuppies, Hipsters and transplants have iphones this would have been s useful tool to show them what areas to avoid while wearing flip flops and king George the v style beards. You could have at least charged five bucks on the app store and these transplants will pay for it. This can mean the difference from getting jumped by a bunch of Italians wielding a Louisville slugger to a black guy holding an illegal gun from your native state of Georgia trying to rob you for every nook and cranny. Reps for you checkmate. At least you should have included green zones for safe areas.
I'm not really computer-literate, so I don't know how to design an app. It took me long enough to figure out how to design a Google Map.

But when I figure out how to create that app, those maps are coming down and I'm charging $5. And everybody knows who to blame.

And if it's unshaded, it's green. The thing is that it's a PITA to wrap the green shading around everything else, so I just left out the safe areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
When did Bed-Stuy become safe?
I only labeled the western portion of Bed-Stuy as safe (and even then, I left it as orange). Earlier, there was some sort of triangle formed in Bed-Stuy that was unshaded, but I fixed that. (I don't know how that got there in the first place).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hieronymus Bosch View Post
Nice work. It reminds me of those crime maps on simcity. Now if this could be combined with an average housing price map, a commute time to manhattan map, and a proximity to stores and entertainment map, half the questions on the forum would be eliminated.
Yeah, this map should be stickied. I remember a report that showed the average commute time to Manhattan (this report. I can't find the page because my computer can't open PDFs: http://www.rpa.org/pdf/RPA_tomorrows_transit.pdf), so that's two popular topics that are down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Brighton Beach is shady? Since when? I could only see someone having an issue with it if they are not a fan of Russians.

I agree that the projects by Astoria should be yellow instead of orange. I've rode my bike around those areas even at night and never felt scared. There are far more scarier areas with projects.

That whole stretch of Pennsylvania Ave. in Brooklyn including Starrett City should at bare minimum be orange instead of blank. I spent the first 23 years of my life there and it is NOT safe right now.

Elmhurst isn't bad, but I supposed to an outsider from suburbia, it would seem seedy.
I could definitely see a suburbanite having problems with Brighton Beach. I used to live there, and a few times I walked home from the subway with my mother (I was around 8 or 9 at the time), and there were drunks shouting in the streets and things like that. Plus, to the north of the train tracks, it gets kind of seedy IMO. Nothing too serious, but definitely something to avoid if you're unfamiliar with urban areas.

And yeah, I think I'll shade Starrett City yellow for now. If there's anybody else who thinks it's orange, I'll bump it up a notch.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:38 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I agree that the projects by Astoria should be yellow instead of orange. I've rode my bike around those areas even at night and never felt scared. There are far more scarier areas with projects.
Same here, and while I know your or my personal experience are not representative of all experiences in the area, I still don't feel like it should warrant an orange color.

maybe we can get some actual statistics and see if they hold true to this.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Must have changed over the last few years.
Its been that way for over 30 years. It would probably get better if the zoning for rooming houses were finally removed and those homes that predate WW2 were finally either renovated or torn down and replaced. Its happening in certain swaths of BB, but not fast enough. There are still numerous bungalos that still exist there that are not on the streets but rather down a path that are in bad disprepair or just need to be tore down. A little eminent domain might help to modernize the area.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
if only i saw this post before I started my computer science senior project! this would have been a great project to do with the commute times and everything like that in it.

you gotta copyright this so no one can take your idea and make money off of it without giving you royalties!!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
if only i saw this post before I started my computer science senior project! this would have been a great project to do with the commute times and everything like that in it.

you gotta copyright this so no one can take your idea and make money off of it without giving you royalties!!
How would I do that? (Serious question).

I didn't realize that this has serious money-making potential.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post

No offense to the OP but this isn't nothing new.

There's a website with individual crime mapping
New York, NY Crime Map - Showing Crimes in New York - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

And the same concept the OP posted is already up on a website
New York City - Manhattan Safety Zones. NYC Manhattan Safety Zones. Neighborhood Safety Map: Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island

(Which btw, corroborates that the area of Astoria painted as Orange should be really Yellow)

As for commuting times, Google maps already has that option with lots of details.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
True, there's plenty of websites that have commuting time options, but also this is next to impossible to determine because some areas have more than 1 transportation option. (Express bus vs bus & train, different train routes, etc.) Not to mention a route from SI to lower Manhattan will differ from a route from Western Queens to the UWS. There are no hard and fast rules, because just going from downtown to midtown can take 10 mins or 30 mins depending on delays.

If people want to judge commute times they can check Google maps and select the transit option for directions, or the MTA trip planner, or HopStop (which I find to be the most unreliable).

ETA: Also there are projects on the west side of Ralph Ave. by Flatlands Ave. I only remembered because I passed it this morning. (Farragut Houses I think?) Those should be yellow.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
No offense to the OP but this isn't nothing new.

There's a website with individual crime mapping
New York, NY Crime Map - Showing Crimes in New York - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

And the same concept the OP posted is already up on a website
New York City - Manhattan Safety Zones. NYC Manhattan Safety Zones. Neighborhood Safety Map: Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island

(Which btw, corroborates that the area of Astoria painted as Orange should be really Yellow)

As for commuting times, Google maps already has that option with lots of details.
yes there are lots of websites for this, but i'm talking an app that does it all for you. one app. not multiple apps. not multiple websites.

The way that checkmate did it, it's simple. Color coordinated with an easy to use legend. You don't have to interpret any sort of data.

people pay for easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City