Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
LOL. Better take your mindset out of the dreadful rough areas and start dreaming big. I will take those "Horror Houses" over anything in the my hood if it's affordable.
Im afraid of goin to LI cus of that house...

You wouldnt last a minute in that Amityville house.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 02-22-2011 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
How to improve South Bronx: Total and final displacement of criminal persons within the units and grounds of the NYCHA. A bit drastic though...

Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I was obviously exxagerating to get a reaction. But there is some truth to what I said. Also, bluedog, I don't live too far from Riverdale so how are you going to tell me?

This :
w 242 st Bronx - Google Maps

Looks like Fordham. Listen take the major Deegan, and you will see what Im talking about.
The Major Deegan doesn't go through Riverdale.It goes through Kingsbridge,Kingsbridge Heights and Van Cortlandt Village then through Van Cortlandt Park to Yonkers.

242nd St and Broadway isn't really Riverdale either, though it is on the very edge.Most people agree that below 242nd St ,Riverdale is only West of Irwin,Greystone and Riverdale Aves....UP THE STEPS.Irwin and East is considered Kingsbridge. Only North of Manhattan College does Van Cortlandt Park become the Western Boundary of Riverdale.Geaelic Park is not in Riverdale,it's in Kingsbridge.The spot you linked to is Kingsbridge, IMO.You can see the steps up to Riverdale from Kingsbridge if you look at 238th st and follow it West from Broadway. The steps are between Irwin and Waldo and go up from Irwin to Waldo........Then you are in Riverdale.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-22-2011 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 AM

67 posts, read 92,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Hmm..and where should these people go?
Who cares where these undesirables go??? The undesirables in the Bronx that I speak of serve no purpose in the borough other than to suck dry tax payer money via entitlement programs.

Who cares where they go as long as they stay out of the Bronx, I'm good. The Bronx will be a much better place without those people.

1nevets came up with excellent locations where they can move to. Newburgh sounds like a fitting place for them to go.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:12 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
The Bronx is not the worst or most hated borough, but it is probably the most challenged. The concentration of poverty, via the number of housing projects/subsidized housing/rent control/stabilization puts a cap on the real change we can see in the borough.

And that's how the Democratic leadership in the Borough prefers it, as the poor/ignorant are their base....so they continue to feed the population the "your a victim" BS, and "you should depend on me because I will keep section 8 and other entitlements flowing". There are changes occuring, but for every 2 steps the Bronx takes, it takes 1 step back, and the other boroughs are taking 3 steps forward. So is that really progress? Yes, but we are still falling further and further behind.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 AM

97 posts, read 312,401 times
The presence of these poor people in the Bronx can not be ignored as their conduct and street lifestyles are too much "in your face" to miss or tolerate. This demographic unfortunately dominate and have a strong-hold on the Bronx hence giving its horrible reputation. This is a perfectly good reason as to why white people are afraid to move here.

FYI - Black people are scared to move to the Bronx as well, lol

Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashely2011 View Post
Who cares where these undesirables go??? The undesirables in the Bronx that I speak of serve no purpose in the borough other than to suck dry tax payer money via entitlement programs.

Who cares where they go as long as they stay out of the Bronx, I'm good. The Bronx will be a much better place without those people.

1nevets came up with excellent locations where they can move to. Newburgh sounds like a fitting place for them to go.
Would you welcome those working low income? Are they desirables? The city is building many affordable housing in the Bronx for families of $40K or $50k. All applicants must have good credit and clean criminal record. If such a project will be build next you property, will you say no at the community board hearing?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
How to improve South Bronx: Total and final displacement of criminal persons within the units and grounds of the NYCHA. A bit drastic though...
I agree! What needs to be done is to NUKE all the Bronx "hoods" and start fresh.

If I had Bill Gates money, every year I'd buy several "hood" blocks in the Bronx, kick everyone out despite them being rent stabilized with all those "tenant rights" and be successful at it because the plan would be to demolish those buildings (which is a justifiable reason to kick out RS tenants) and build smaller but beautiful 3-4 story buildings with lots of greenery/green space and excellent curb appeal that makes you forget you're in the Bronx.

I'd catering to middle and upper middle class people with some semi-wealthy/luxury people as well. You'd have to make a bare minimum of 60K-80K to even be considered to be living there with strict background screening process you'd think you're applying for the CIA. That's how you keep the riff-raff out and keep a neighborhood desirable.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashely2011 View Post
I agree! What needs to be done is to NUKE all the Bronx "hoods" and start fresh.

If I had Bill Gates money, every year I'd buy several "hood" blocks in the Bronx, kick everyone out despite them being rent stabilized with all those "tenant rights" and be successful at it because the plan would be to demolish those buildings (which is a justifiable reason to kick out RS tenants) and build smaller but beautiful 3-4 story buildings with lots of greenery/green space and excellent curb appeal that makes you forget you're in the Bronx.

I'd catering to middle and upper middle class people with some semi-wealthy/luxury people as well. You'd have to make a bare minimum of 60K-80K to even be considered to be living there with strict background screening process you'd think you're applying for the CIA. That's how you keep the riff-raff out and keep a neighborhood desirable.
You're so delusional....You must be a troll.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
Would you welcome those working low income? Are they desirables? The city is building many affordable housing in the Bronx for families of $40K or $50k. All applicants must have good credit and clean criminal record. If such a project will be build next you property, will you say no at the community board hearing?
I'd welcome them only in a very very low percentage. No more than 10% of the community's population. Meaning the rest of the 90% should be middle class or better.

When you put too many "working poor" people together, they will force THEIR will on the community and it will turn into a HOOD in no time. Believe me I know.

By keeping the "working poor" (who are one paycheck from being broke) percentages low in any community, you keep those "loose cannons" at bay to the point that if they act up, they wouldn't bring down the rest of the community because they are out numbered and practically have no voice in the community to start demand things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City