Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:27 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronybar View Post
The Bronx is boring. Crime is not as bad as people think, but I still wouldn't recommend it if you want diversity. Everyone mentions Woodlawn and Riverdale as the best places to live, but each place is dominated by one group's culture (Irish or Jewish). The Bronx is the most segregated borough in NYC. Either you live in the poor (read black, hispanic) areas or ultra-white, wealthy areas. There is no middle ground. I moved here from Queens and it was a big mistake. I went from a diverse, fun place with lots of nightlife to a deadly dull area where it's all about saving money - the Bronx is Thrift Store Central.
Another broad generalization.

The Pelham Parkway/Morris Park area is one of the most diverse neighborhoods in all of NYC.It is neither a poor neighborhood nor an ultra white neighborhood.It is about 35% White( Jewish,Italian,Albanian,Irish,Russian),35% Hispanic ( PR,Mex,many varieties of South Americans),20 or 25 % black( every variety :AA,Caribbean and African) and 10% Asian of many different varieties.

It is also a very economically diverse neighborhood with people with household incomes from 30,000 to 200,000.

I have lived in NYC for 35 years and in every borough and there are very few neighborhoods that are more diverse than this one.

Why would "everyone" think Riverdale and Woodlawn are the best places in The Bronx to live? I could have bought a place in either one but chose not to.I think only people who are literally afraid to live in really diverse neighborhoods would claim that Riverdale and Woodlawn are the only places to live.If you live in a neighborhood that is filled with people who don't want to live with any diversity it's bound to be pretty boring.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-22-2011 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 06:29 PM

67 posts, read 92,438 times
Quote:
The Bronx is boring. Crime is not as bad as people think, but I still wouldn't recommend it if you want diversity. Everyone mentions Woodlawn and Riverdale as the best places to live, but each place is dominated by one group's culture (Irish or Jewish). The Bronx is the most segregated borough in NYC. Either you live in the poor (read black, hispanic) areas or ultra-white, wealthy areas. There is no middle ground. I moved here from Queens and it was a big mistake. I went from a diverse, fun place with lots of nightlife to a deadly dull area where it's all about saving money - the Bronx is Thrift Store Central.
I love the Bronx and desperately want it to change but I must say I do agree with this post. The Bronx is NOT a diverse borough at all and Roybar precisely pointed that out above. While you have your nice areas in the Bronx like Riverdale, Morris Park, Pelham and Throgs Neck, the rest of the borough is a dumping ground for poor people, sick people, drug addicts, people on Section 8/welfare, etc.

The racial demographic of the poor areas of the Bronx which make up the MAJORITY of the Bronx mainly consist of either blacks or hispanics. That's why I mentioned in another thread that GENTRIFICATION or some form of it is required in the Bronx to water-down the undesirable poor population I mentioned above.

The presence of these poor people in the Bronx can not be ignored as their conduct and street lifestyles are too much "in your face" to miss or tolerate. This demographic unfortunately dominate and have a strong-hold on the Bronx hence giving its horrible reputation. This is a perfectly good reason as to why white people are afraid to move here. It's like a culture shock for them. And if they do gather enough courage to move to the Bronx, being in the minority or the "only white person on the block" isn't a good feeling to have.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-22-2011 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashely2011 View Post
The racial demographic of the poor areas of the Bronx which make up the MAJORITY of the Bronx mainly consist of either blacks or hispanics. That's why I mentioned in another thread that GENTRIFICATION or some form of it is required in the Bronx to water-down the undesirable poor population I mentioned above.
LOL,there will never be gentrification as long as you keep posting.Do you think your posts encourage gentrification?

If you had been posting things like this when I was thinking of moving to The Bronx I might have come to a different conclusion.I'm happy I didn't have you around then.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
LOL,there will never be gentrification as long as you keep posting.Do you think your posts encourage gentrification?
well i can't blame her for wanting balance. balance is generally a good thing

Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
well i can't blame her for wanting balance. balance is generally a good thing
Then she shouldn't have moved to Riverdale. There are always choices.People looking for diversity don't usually move to Riverdale. It's very nice ,but diverse it's not.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
The Bronx is the most feared

Brooklyn is the most respected
Manhattan is the most envied
Queens is the most relaxed
and Staten Island is the most ignored

Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 PM

67 posts, read 92,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

If you had been posting things like this when I was thinking of moving to The Bronx I might have come to a different conclusion.I'm happy I didn't have you around then.
Bluedog...you did your research before moving to the Bronx and picked a good neighborhood (pelham) thats NOT considered the "hood" therefore you did not experience any "culture shock" for a white person as pelham is quite desirable and has a sizable white population where you wouldn't feel like the "only white guy" in town.

Had you not done your homework and moved to highbridge, morissania, etc. I think you would be singing a different tune. You would of been exposed to "hood life" with poor unruly and inconsiderate people around you who only care about themselves.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiryMan View Post
The Bronx is perceived as the worst borough by many, but the key word here is perceive. The fact is, the Bronx has some bad neighborhoods that give the entire borough a bad rep. Case in point, when you read the news and come across a headline that reads: "It was a bloody weekend in The Bronx." Then you keep reading and learn that the bloody incident occurred in Tremont or Morrisania or Melrose or Morris Heights (by Burnside) or West Farms or Soundview or Mott Haven or Hunts Point or Olinville--in other words, that the sordid ordeal ocurred in the very same neighborhoods that are largely responsible for shaping our negative perceptions of the borough. And this truly sickens me.

The same neighborhoods.

When I read that it's been a "bloody" or violent Bronx weekend, the press should be more specific and include in the headlines the name of the neighborhood as opposed to the just "The Bronx." You see, I know the Bronx, and know that the borough has many nice areas that rarely--if ever--experience "bloody" weekends.

When I come across an article that does this I just want to write back and ask the author, "So, tell me, has it been a bloody Riverdale weekend? A bloody Morris Park weekend? Or how about Throggs Neck, Woodlawn, Country Club, Classon Point, Kingsbridge Proper, Bedford Park or Norwood? How about City Island--was it bloody there too? Pelham Bay, anyone? Come on! There are many nice/decent areas in the Bronx that are not given any play by the press.

Many people simply perceive the Bronx as the worst borough because they don't know any better. Many have simply not been exposed to the decent parts.
I couldn't agree more. My first views of the Bronx were via highway and for the most part with the exception of the Throggs Neck bridge area the "highway neighborhoods" are crappy or surrounded by parkland. When taking the elevated trains in the Bronx you are overwhelmed with tenements and apartment buildings as the general housing type. You really have to venture by foot, bus or car to see the nice parts of the Bronx. You just won't see it via subway or highway like you do in Queens and Brooklyn. It wasn't until I went apt. hunting with my gf and started walking and taking the buses that I realized there are many neighborhoods in the Bronx that are like Midwood, Bay Ridge, Middle Village, Woodhaven, Bensonhurst and other single family, middle income neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
I agree. Although there are posters that have said I'm anti-Bronx. It's not true. I like the Bronx, it's just that the Bronx is filled with "hidden gems." Unlike Queens and Brooklyn where diversity or nice neighborhoods hit you as soon as you enter those boroughs, you don't get that in the Bronx. I take the 2 5 6 or 4 trains in the Bronx it's mostly Latinos, filtered with blacks and the lone odd white, Arab or Asian person, myself included. Take the L R E 7 M OR F trains in Queens or Brooklyn and it shows why people like the city, for its cosmopolitan flair. My favorite train for people watching is the L after 8pm. It's the city "in full effect."

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-22-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
The Bronx is an old, ugly looking, gritty, dirty place with many high crime neighborhoods. Most of the borough looks the same, in other words, ghetto. You have Latino and blacks throughout the borough, with little white enclaves far away. So the diversity is pretty low, unless you enjoy seeing Puerto Ricans, African Americans, Dominicans, Mexicans, and Jamaicans all over the place. Too many buildings and housing projects. Too many people on some kind of assistance. Too many drug dealers and drug addicts. Too many people with aids...etc etc

Atleast in other boroughs the ghetto does not make up the majority. The non-ghetto neighborhoods also don't look the same as the ghetto ones (unlike the Bronx where even Riverdale looks like Fordham).

The Bronx is tough. It's just a tough, grim, gloomy place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City