Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,601 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]You are right, it is noise pollution, but that is an environmental ‘crime,’ enforced by the DEP. It is a ‘Quality of Life” issue… The Police have 8 hours to respond, you can only imagine how excited they are to get on over there and deal with your noise issue. After about 6- 7 hours, the noise happens to be gone when the cops drive by. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]311 is a call center that takes complaints, 311 in itself only provides the service of intake for other city agencies. You speak of ‘common sense,’ but sadly I don’t see it. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]@ Tony Of New York – I can see you are angry, but I can also see you have no idea what you are talking about. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It is pretty annoying when I hear of folks saying ignorant stuff like “I call 311 and they never came by to fill in my pothole.” I know NYC is complex, but you really need to learn how it works and stop making absolute statements of accountability. [/SIZE]
[/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 05:55 PM

141 posts, read 352,736 times
[SIZE=3]It is pretty annoying when I hear of folks saying ignorant stuff like “I call 311 and they never came by to fill in my pothole.” I know NYC is complex, but you really need to learn how it works and stop making absolute statements of accountability. [/SIZE]
[/font][/quote]

No anger Whatever_NYC. Just my thoughts. I try to avoid italics and bold face as ways of inflecting. A shortcoming of the written word I suppose. How is non-accountability within a tax financed system (whether by the user or the administrator) a good thing?

Last edited by Tony Of New York; 05-09-2011 at 06:05 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
I am sorry to post this but what is wrong with the Bronx? I got this one building on my f-ing block (all residential houses except this ****) and it is the cause of all our misery. Since the summer has arrived, the tenants loiter outside, blasting loud spanish music as if it was the club, cars roll up and double park so the "homies" or "hombres" can kick it. It is retarded. You even have lil kids running around, no wonder the schools are failing...its due to BAD PARENTING.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I am sorry to post this but what is wrong with the Bronx? I got this one building on my f-ing block (all residential houses except this ****) and it is the cause of all our misery. Since the summer has arrived, the tenants loiter outside, blasting loud spanish music as if it was the club, cars roll up and double park so the "homies" or "hombres" can kick it. It is retarded. You even have lil kids running around, no wonder the schools are failing...its due to BAD PARENTING.
Lucky there is no such a problem on my block, but still once a while
some aholes who don't live here with their car speakers blaring so
loud the glasses shakes. The worse is those who did it during the
middle of the night. I don't really understand them, they did it just
to annoy people or what?

Old 05-28-2011, 07:45 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Lucky there is no such a problem on my block, but still once a while
some aholes who don't live here with their car speakers blaring so
loud the glasses shakes. The worse is those who did it during the
middle of the night. I don't really understand them, they did it just
to annoy people or what?

I have no idea....I mean I think most of these folks are drunk or high, at least the ones I see from my window. I mean yesterday being a Friday night, everyone was outside and partying like it was a fiesta. It wasn;t always bad, the building management is not doing its job and the Super is a moron who permits this crap.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:31 PM

125 posts, read 229,062 times
311 is very helpful for information (trash days, alternate side parking, finding out your zoned school, etc.) but for complaints not so much. After many calls to 311 about noise complaints, I gave up. I've learned that you have to pick your battles. We have neighbors across the street that are the rudest people and have no regard for their neighbors. They used to throw parties that went all night long at least once a week when they first moved in, but they've slowed down a lot (thank goodness). People have tried to ask them to keep it down and they are jerks about it. It's one of the reasons I hate Summer - loud people are louder in the hot weather. However, I don't think moving will solve anything. Especially if you stay in the city. There are loud, rude people in probably every neighborhood. I put the probably in, because I don't want to get slammed for generalizing.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:13 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
@ searching4arainbow you're last statement is generally true for the most part... but that being said there are definitely neighborhoods that the problem Mistertee and jaydata are referring to are much more prevalent than in other neighborhoods... If you can do it, there are plenty of other neighborhoods in the city where you won't be constantly surrounded by noise 24/7... jmo

Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 AM

3 posts, read 12,459 times
I feel your guys' pain, believe me. Only I live in Brooklyn so the fiesta's are a little different flavor. I had to be subjected to loud ass gangsta rap for hours today. Called the police, 311 & the precinct numerous times. At 10pm, they finally come out.

I would just love to subject those same people to heavy metal music for three hours and see how they fare.

In this heat, I have to have my windows open and can not afford to pay for my A/C, so I had to close my window during this time and cook to death.

It's really unpleasant living in this city. I am seriously contemplating moving. So tired of dealing with the negative energy here.

No reason we have to pay exorbitant amounts for rent, taxes and everything else to live here, but put up with madness that no one anywhere else in the country would be subjected to.

I agree that 311 is a joke. I tell them as much. Only thing I can say is get active in your community. Talk to Bloomberg on his radio show, call your local representatives, get involved with the police. It sucks sitting around and bitching. If you can put that energy to good use, maybe we can get a better policy put in place.

It's good in theory, but man it doesn't work.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:56 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeneeStarr View Post
I feel your guys' pain, believe me. Only I live in Brooklyn so the fiesta's are a little different flavor. I had to be subjected to loud ass gangsta rap for hours today. Called the police, 311 & the precinct numerous times. At 10pm, they finally come out.

I would just love to subject those same people to heavy metal music for three hours and see how they fare.

In this heat, I have to have my windows open and can not afford to pay for my A/C, so I had to close my window during this time and cook to death.

It's really unpleasant living in this city. I am seriously contemplating moving. So tired of dealing with the negative energy here.

No reason we have to pay exorbitant amounts for rent, taxes and everything else to live here, but put up with madness that no one anywhere else in the country would be subjected to.

I agree that 311 is a joke. I tell them as much. Only thing I can say is get active in your community. Talk to Bloomberg on his radio show, call your local representatives, get involved with the police. It sucks sitting around and bitching. If you can put that energy to good use, maybe we can get a better policy put in place.

It's good in theory, but man it doesn't work.
I've been thinking the same thing.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
and what about all these freaking hellicopters flying over our Brooklyn Bridge Park, Govenors island, and Valentino park in Red Hook, talk about freaking ANNOYING BEYOND BELIEF.

get rid of the tourist choppers already they are ruining the quality of life for us Brooklyn Folk that want to enjoy the peace and serenety of a park.

What is wrong with Bloomie, him of all people should realize this since he is the one helping us to have all these parks and fresh air !@!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City