Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:48 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,997,697 times

Advertisements

I'm so glad I live in Arizona now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,902 times
Default transporting guns from state to state

I moved from NJ to NH and back again after 3 years. I was worried about the same thing, especially driving through MA. I called the State Police in each state and was given pretty much the same information. Guns locked in a case, unloaded and ammunition if carried locked in a separate case. As I had time to plan this I made sure I had no ammo to carry. Also, and they all made this very clear, if pulled over FOR ANY REASON, make sure you let them know that you are carrying weapons. The last thing you want is for a State Trooper to "accidentally" find a gun in your car that you did not tell them about.

Ona aseparate note, does anyone know the procedures for transferring a gun from one state to another. My mother in law bought me an AR15 for my birthday (yes, she is oneof the good ones!). SHe lives in PA and I in NJ. Can I simply have the transfer done legally by a gun shop in NJ? What paperwork do I need? I did this once a while ago from FL to NJ, but that was a pistol not a rifle and I amnot familiar with PA laws. Any help would be appreicated.
Thanks

Old 04-05-2013, 01:37 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,735,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB251 View Post
Ona aseparate note, does anyone know the procedures for transferring a gun from one state to another. My mother in law bought me an AR15 for my birthday (yes, she is oneof the good ones!). SHe lives in PA and I in NJ. Can I simply have the transfer done legally by a gun shop in NJ? What paperwork do I need? I did this once a while ago from FL to NJ, but that was a pistol not a rifle and I amnot familiar with PA laws. Any help would be appreicated.
Thanks
I believe that most (if not all) versions of the AR15 are illegal in NJ, so there is most likely no way for you to legally transfer one and you certainly can't buy one in the state. This is a pretty complex question and one probably better asked on any one of the multiple NJ specific sportsman and gun forums that are out there. NJgunforums.com is one of the largest such sites and you will get the types of answers you are looking for.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I believe that most (if not all) versions of the AR15 are illegal in NJ, so there is most likely no way for you to legally transfer one and you certainly can't buy one in the state. This is a pretty complex question and one probably better asked on any one of the multiple NJ specific sportsman and gun forums that are out there. NJgunforums.com is one of the largest such sites and you will get the types of answers you are looking for.
they arent all illegal as far as i know (unless the changes make them lose their ar15 name). your magazine capacity limit is a big issue since lots of those come with 30 rounders. then there are cosmetic things. i found it online, the following criteria make your scary black gun illegal in nj:

"i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(5) A grenade launcher"

Is *Insert any semi automatic rifle* legal in NJ? - New Jersey Gun Forums

Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 AM

587 posts, read 2,179,887 times
I assume you have a valid NJ FPID and are able to legally own firearms in state of NJ. If so, Long guns you fill out Certificate of eligibility And the long gun must be nj compliant meaning the specific Model is not listed on the ban list, 15 round limit and only one "evil" feature (in the case that is the pistol grip). So pin you stock if is adjustable/collapsible. Going thru FFL is only required for pistols.
By the way if an officer pulls you over and is searching your car then you have already done something wrong. I wouldn't say a word if I was pulled over for a traffic violation knowing that my stuff is transported in a compliant manner. NJ firearms transportation laws pretty much require the firearms out of sight locked in trunk or case (trigger lock won't cut it). If you have an vehicle without a trunk such as an suv van or wagon make sure you have your firearms in in the back in a LOCKED case and cover it up cause some of the rifle cases scream firearms unless you use an inconspicuous case like a guitar case or tennis racket bag.
Safe travels.

Last edited by mumra; 04-06-2013 at 06:07 AM..

Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
if your long gun is a shotgun, you can have more evil features as long as its pump action and not semi automatic. i also believe the capacity limit on a semi auto shotgun is 6 shells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey