Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:39 PM

232 posts, read 613,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
If you transport your firearm to a a range or to hunt you must have your firearm id on you.
Not sure this is a requirement. No mention in the NJ Fish and Wildlife regs. Been hunting in NJ for years and never heard of this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Want a pistol? start the process over again and the purchasing permit is good for 30 or 60 days, can't remember which. In other words you have 30 days to purchase a pistol after receiving the purchasing permit.

90 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 02:07 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,985,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
Not sure this is a requirement. No mention in the NJ Fish and Wildlife regs. Been hunting in NJ for years and never heard of this one.
It's not, but as stated before, unfortunately a lot of LEOs don't understand the laws very well (not because they're incompetent, but because the laws are so needlessly complicated) and you're better safe than sorry. Having a valid FID on you when transporting firearms can save you a lot of headache.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 PM

85 posts, read 272,222 times
Some misinformation going on here.

If transferring a gun from out of state and you already own it and are moving to nj, you need to do nothing. NJ is a voluntary registration state.
If a relative is giving it to you from PA, it needs to be sent to a Federal Firearm licesne holder in NJ to do the transfer. If a longun, you need the FPID (Firearms Purchaser ID card). If handgun, you need a valid NJ Pistol permit (good for 90days from issue and can be extended to 180 days).

If buying pre onwed from another NJ resident you need to show them your FPID and DL (addresses must match and if they are advertising the gun somewhere, they have to list that as requirements).
If handgun, you need to have a valid Pistol permit for them to fill out as well. You keep one copy, they send one to State Police and 1 copy to the town that issued the permit.

NJ sucks so bad, you need an FPID card to even buy a BB gun.

If you purchase a gun out of state from a dealer or an individual, it musst always be sent to an FFL holder to do the transfer.
There are many around and Shoudl cost you around $45 including NICS background check (which is done each time you buy a gun from a local dealer or a trasnfer via an FFl).
Yes another background check on top of all the others.

Check out njgunforums.com for a friendly place for 2nd ammendmant advocates to discuss our hobby, the laws of NJ, etc.

I know some of my fellow enthusiasts from there have contributed to this thread already.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 PM

50 posts, read 174,105 times
I didn't read through all the responses but don't say personal defense. Say collector or target shooting.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:46 AM

23,580 posts, read 17,253,889 times
Default details and legal interpretation= $$$$ and lawyers

cards states, " ..is hereby granted permission to purchase and carry rifles and shotguns pursuant to ........"

Implies if not issued a NJ FP id card you cannot carry shotguns and rifles in pursuit of legal use.....but that is for a herd of lawyers downstream of a a pile of your $$$$ money to decide. Meanwhile your prized and expensive confiscated gun is being beat up while in police custody. Sure you'll get it returned but in what condition.

Also note that any time after you receive the card and you are, (summarized)"....in violation of any of the rules that had to be met in order to get the card, you have 5 days to return the card to the super of state police or be found in violation of a crime of the fourth degree."

Old 01-12-2010, 05:02 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,666,209 times
Quote:
Getting an FID requires fingerprinting at your local municipal department or State Police barracks if you do not have local police
Wrong. All printing is now done off site. The state no longer accepts department rolled prints. The state is phasing out all non-AFIS submissions and as many departments do not have AFIS, they have extended the contracts with Sagem Morpho. It is being phased in and we have stopped printing as of this year. Prints submitted on cards will take weeks, probably months to process. AFIS submitted live scan are returned within days.

Immigration printing stopped years ago when taken over by Sagem Morpho.

Last edited by rscalzo; 01-12-2010 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 10:22 AM

7,222 posts, read 11,942,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnowapefamily View Post
PS - You also need the firearm purchaser ID to buy ammunition in NJ.

As far as I know, you do not need a firearms ID card to purchase ammunition. My husband has owned a shotgun and a rifle (which were given to him) for many years and always purchased ammo with just his driver's license. He recently (a couple months ago) applied for and received a firearms ID card in order to purchase a new shotgun.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:03 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,985,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Wrong. All printing is now done off site. The state no longer accepts department rolled prints. The state is phasing out all non-AFIS submissions and as many departments do not have AFIS, they have extended the contracts with Sagem Morpho. It is being phased in and we have stopped printing as of this year. Prints submitted on cards will take weeks, probably months to process. AFIS submitted live scan are returned within days.

Immigration printing stopped years ago when taken over by Sagem Morpho.
Hmmm...I had no idea. I must have been one of the last ones. As for the FID to buy ammunition I've heard that Dick's Sporting Goods hassles people who don't have one for some reason, but unless they're having a really good sale it's probably best just to avoid that place altogether.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:46 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,666,209 times
Quote:
I must have been one of the last ones.
It is starting over a period of time. We started transfering the process this month. It actually speeds up the process.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:55 AM

89 posts, read 444,971 times
I don't have my card on me, but I'm pretty sure it says somewhere that it must be presented when purchasing ammunition... I'll check when I get home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey