Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,896,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I know if you move from another state they will never know. I am not sure that makes it legal.
did you read my post? I did that ans called the NJ state police and they said it 100% legal NOT to register the guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 10:15 AM

46 posts, read 640,250 times
Thank you for all those replies - I am learning a lot here.

Here's a scenario that I am curious about also. Suppose family from PA decides to give me a firearm that they own as a gift, and I live in NJ. As I said before, I plan to store the gun at home and transport would very very occasional, such as to a shooting range for practice or to PA also for practice. Is there a transfer of ownership or permits for this sort of thing?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniss View Post
Here's a scenario that I am curious about also. Suppose family from PA decides to give me a firearm that they own as a gift, and I live in NJ. As I said before, I plan to store the gun at home and transport would very very occasional, such as to a shooting range for practice or to PA also for practice. Is there a transfer of ownership or permits for this sort of thing?
First and foremost you need your FID. If this firearm is a handgun you'll need a handgun permit as well. Now comes the tricky part-if you were both New Jersey residents, you could definitely use this form:

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/info...rms/sp-634.pdf

However, I'm not entirely sure if that's the case-I would call the firearms unit at this number: (609) 882-2000 Ext. 2060 or 2061 in order to verify that. The PA family member may need to obtain whatever Pennsylvania's version of the form is, etc...the bottom line is that you need to fill out transfer paperwork and have the proper permit (FID only for long guns, FID plus handgun permit for handguns) in order for it to be a legal transaction. Oh and just to reiterate, firearm registration in New Jersey is entirely voluntary. However, its always wise to have some sort of paper trail to show how a gun came to be in your possession. Case in point, my grandmother's will specifies that upon her death, certain firearms (my grandfather's, which were willed to her upon his death) will be be passed to me, my father, and my brother. With the will in hand along with the transfer paperwork and the permits, no one can question my legal right to own those guns.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:16 AM

So that almost makes it easier just to buy your own fire arms rather than receive it as a gift, if it's an out-of-state transaction.

Ok, here's another question - wondering if anyone ever encountered this. I have an NJ driver's license while my GF has a PA license with permanent address in PA. If we wanted to jointly own a handgun or a shotgun such that either of us could lawfully use it, which route can we go? Since our domicile is in NJ, would I be the one to get the FPID and the permit(s) in NJ, or can she also get an FPID and permits from a local NJ police dept?

Old 12-28-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
So that almost makes it easier just to buy your own fire arms rather than receive it as a gift, if it's an out-of-state transaction.
I dunno-I mean, it's just a matter of finding out what form you need and filling it out. It doesn't seem all that difficult. Whether you buy a firearm in PA or in NJ you're still going to have to fill out paperwork.

Quote:
Ok, here's another question - wondering if anyone ever encountered this. I have an NJ driver's license while my GF has a PA license with permanent address in PA. If we wanted to jointly own a handgun or a shotgun such that either of us could lawfully use it, which route can we go? Since our domicile is in NJ, would I be the one to get the FPID and the permit(s) in NJ, or can she also get an FPID and permits from a local NJ police dept?
The bottom line on this is that the law becomes very unclear at this point so CYA is the name of the game. If both of you want a gun and you want to transport said gun on your own, purchase it with your FID and/or permit.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:09 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,761,730 times
She will need a FPID if she wants to use your guns without you. The only exception would be if she used it for self defense only within the confines of your house(or apt).

In NJ, it is actually illegal for anyone to have a gun in their hands/possession. It is only by exemption that it is allowed. We in NJ DO NOT have the "Right" to bear arms.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:25 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,667,962 times
Quote:
In fact Jersey don't even care if you own them

As long as it is not a prohibited firearm. However a NJ FID card will be required to purchase ammunition so getting one makes sense.

Quote:
get full set of fingerprints sent to the FBI

The local municipality no longer processes the print cards. They must be submitted by the organization specified by the state.
Fingerprinting is now conducted by Morpho Trak.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Fingerprinting is now conducted by Morpho
Are you referring to Sagem Morpho? They do fingerprints for background checks of people who work with children in public schools, etc...but not firearm permit applicants. Getting an FID requires fingerprinting at your local municipal department or State Police barracks if you do not have local police. Those fingerprints are then sent to the FBI-just got a handgun permit a few weeks ago at my local PD and this was still standard procedure. God help us all if another organization gets into the mix-the process is full of red tape as it is!

Old 12-28-2009, 06:21 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,320,098 times
Quote:

The problem isn't with the firearms permit. It's with GF's driver's license.

You say, "Our domicile is in NJ" (emphasis added). Since GF's domicile is in NJ, GF should have a NJ driver's license.

Once GF updates to a New Jersey Driver's License (60 days from move-in date), she can apply for the appropriate FPID

Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
The problem isn't with the firearms permit. It's with GF's driver's license.

You say, "Our domicile is in NJ" (emphasis added). Since GF's domicile is in NJ, GF should have a NJ driver's license.

Once GF updates to a New Jersey Driver's License (60 days from move-in date), she can apply for the appropriate FPID
I found the following on the NJ State Police Website:

Q2.
How do you obtain a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun?
Download Form
A2.
You must apply at your local police department. If you do not have a local police department or you are an out of state resident, you must apply at the nearest New Jersey State Police station (excluding toll roads, stations on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Atlantic City Expressway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey