Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:50 PM

7 posts, read 28,387 times

Advertisements

NJ is pretty horrible for gun ownership. The draconian gun laws here rival that of CA, MA, and IL.

Also, please become familiar with NJ's own AWB (assault weapons ban). The federal AWB may have sunsetted a few years ago, but that does not apply to NJ. Just some guidelines, all long guns (having a shoulder stock qualifies it as a long gun) must only be allowed 1 other "evil feature" at most. Those features include, but are not limited to things like a pistol grip, collapsable/folding stock, flash surpressor, bayonet lug, etc. Take an AR-15 for example. Popular configurations will include a collapsable stock and a flash surpressor. However, since the AR-15 comes with a pistol grip, you must have a fixed stock and no surpressor. Keep these things in mind if you ever plan on purchasing a long gun in PA or something to bring back to NJ.

In addition, be aware that having hollowpoint ammo in your possession when not in your home or at a gun shop/range is also a felony. It's probably a moot point since pretty much no citizen can obtain a carry permit anyway, but only active law enforcement personel may have hollowpoints on their person while on the streets. Even retired LEO's who have carry permit may not carry hollowpoint rounds. Say you went to the range, and pocketed a single hollowpoint round for whatever reason, and forgot about it. Then later that night, you go out with that round in your pocket. Illegal.

Anyway, regarding ammo, not sure if it's state law (I think it may be now), but pretty much all stores will record either your driver's license or FID card number when selling you ammo. Of course, you always have the option of mail ordering ammo from out of state, which is cheaper to do as long as you buy in bulk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 25,493 times
Default Transporting gifted firearms out of New Jersey

I'm a resident of Virginia, and my 89 year old Dad lives in New Jersey. He has a couple of firearms (legally owned) he wants to give me the next time I go up to visit. He says I'm going to inherit them all when he's gone (hope that's no time soon) anyway, but he wants me to have those two now. What, if anything, do I have to do to legally transport the two firearms he wants to give me back to Virginia? Do I have to have a New Jersey firearm owner ID card, or what? Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Greg, I might be totally wrong but if you are driving could you not get a lockable gun case and store them in your trunk as you drive back home. Make sure they are unloaded and no ammo in your vehicle.

I'm from TX so our common sense may not work up north.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Greg, I might be totally wrong but if you are driving could you not get a lockable gun case and store them in your trunk as you drive back home. Make sure they are unloaded and no ammo in your vehicle.

I'm from TX so our common sense may not work up north.
======================================
That was my plan, since I have lockable gun cases for long guns and handguns, but still would like to know where I stand with the law in transporting them out of NJ. Once I get back in VA where I have a concealed carry permit, it's no problem.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:47 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,858 times
Quote:
no ammo in your vehicle
Incorrect. Unloaded with ammo separate.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H. View Post
I'm a resident of Virginia, and my 89 year old Dad lives in New Jersey. He has a couple of firearms (legally owned) he wants to give me the next time I go up to visit. He says I'm going to inherit them all when he's gone (hope that's no time soon) anyway, but he wants me to have those two now. What, if anything, do I have to do to legally transport the two firearms he wants to give me back to Virginia? Do I have to have a New Jersey firearm owner ID card, or what? Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
#1, if they are handguns then I would not even attempt to transport them yourself. If you are stopped for any reason and they are found in your possession you WILL be arrested, end of story.

#2, If they are rifles, they must be unloaded, in locked containers, and in the trunk of your vehicle. I would recommend you carry NO ammo with you while transporting. You will have a lot of explaining to do if you are stopped but the rules are a bit more relaxed and they may let on your way as long as you are ONLY going directly back home. No stops along the way except for gas/food.

#3, All of this can be avoided if your dad simply travels with you and he brings along his FPID card.

I highly recommend you contact a NJ attorney that is familiar with NJ gun law. The Peoples Republic of NJ does not allow grey areas in regards to gun possession. They will arrest you first then you get to defend yourself in court. Only if you are successful will they return your guns to you. If your dad is still alive he may get in trouble too for knowingly giving the guns to an unlicensed person. You cannot be licensed in NJ because you dont live here.

-Edit-
Another option would be to have your father arrange the transfer through a local gun shop. They will record the "transfer", removing the guns from your fathers possession, take care of the paperwork and ship them to another gun store near you. For a fee of course. Then you wont have to worry about any of this.

Last edited by RobRiguez; 11-22-2010 at 10:03 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 05:22 PM

He cannot legally transfer them without going through a FFL in your home state. You would be permitted to receive them on an inheritance but I can see his reasoning for wanting to take care of it now.

Paying a lawyer to handle it is foolish. Their fees will probably exceed the value of the firearms. Simply have a local NJ FFL transfer them to one in VA. Cost will be significantly less than that of a lawyer who can't help you in any case.

While he could travel back with you, then how does he return home? Way too much trouble. FFL's have shipping options not available to normal consumers making the cost less.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
He cannot legally transfer them without going through a FFL in your home state. You would be permitted to receive them on an inheritance but I can see his reasoning for wanting to take care of it now.

Paying a lawyer to handle it is foolish. Their fees will probably exceed the value of the firearms. Simply have a local NJ FFL transfer them to one in VA. Cost will be significantly less than that of a lawyer who can't help you in any case.

While he could travel back with you, then how does he return home? Way too much trouble. FFL's have shipping options not available to normal consumers making the cost less.
========================================
One of the guns Dad wants to give me is a handgun, and the other is an antique percussion hunting rifle that's been in the family for many years. I think transferring through an FFL will be the only real option for the handgun. The rifle I could just put in a locking case in the trunk.

The gun club I belong to here has a member who is a gunsmith, and the club underwrites the cost of maintaining his FFL, in exchange for which he conducts firearms transfers for club members for FREE, except for the $2 instant check fee. I have used him several times to transfer guns I've bought on gunbroker.com.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:48 PM

Don't forget the received FFL will charge you for processing, usually in the area of $25.00. The NJ FFL has more shipping options saving you some money.

Depending on the actual antique firearm, if it falls under these guideliens:

Quote:
[
"Antique firearm" means any firearm, which is incapable of being fired or discharged, or which does
not fire fixed ammunition regardless of the date of manufacture, or was manufactured before 1898
for which cartridge ammunition is not commercially available, and is possessed as a curiosity or
ornament or for its historical significance or value.
it may fall under this exemption:
Quote:
N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.3 Firearm identification card or permit to purchase required
Quote:
(a) No person, other than a licensed or registered retail or wholesale dealer, shall receive, purchase
or otherwise acquire a rifle, shotgun or antique cannon, other than an antique rifle or shotgun, unless
that person possesses and exhibits a valid firearms purchaser identification card.

No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of a rifle, shotgun or antique cannon, other than an
antique rifle or shotgun, to a person other than a licensed or registered retail or wholesale dealer
unless the buyer or receiver possesses and exhibits a valid firearms purchaser identification card.
No person shall sell or acquire a sawed-off shotgun.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,786 times
i want to buy a gun, what i have to do??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey