Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:55 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,721,557 times

Advertisements

Oh cripes, I forgot to add Morris County to that list! Give me a girl who likes beer and isn't afraid to eat more than a half of a slice of pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 02:05 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,988,281 times
A while ago on NJ101.5 (I actually hate 101.5 but the traffic and weather is great) they did a bit about different NJ Barbies. Short Hills Barbie came with a Louis Vitton bag, a Mercedes, and "Workaholic Ken." Then there was something like Wrightstown Barbie that came with a mobile home, a pack of Marlboro Reds, and cutoff jean shorts...lol

Old 08-31-2007, 02:41 PM

468 posts, read 581,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Driving the beemers, taking tennis lessons, going to the swim club, having the cleaning service, dripping in jewels. Oh well. Not my concern. Maybe I'm jealous b/c I'm a working stiff.
At least you have life skills and a brain

Old 09-02-2007, 10:41 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,373,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher View Post
I have lived in South Jersey for 23 years (my whole life). I love it, but as a newly married college grad. I can't afford to stay. I am moving to FL so I can actually get a teaching job and not have to sub for 3 years! Plus, I'll actually be able to afford a starter home there... something that doesn't exist in S. J. anymore, unless you count a 150K condo....
Good Luck, and your right about teaching jobs, IN NJ you need connections to get one. Plenty here also, and also in Vegas

Old 09-02-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer16 View Post
So what do you think the dividing line of North and South Jersey is? I'm curious because I live in central NJ.
Some say the dividing line is 195 in the Jackson Area. I've always divided Central into Central North and Central South, North being north of the Raritan river.
Diane

Old 09-02-2007, 10:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Good Luck, and your right about teaching jobs, IN NJ you need connections to get one. Plenty here also, and also in Vegas
OP, and they'd be thrilled to have you! You'd be taking your experience teaching in a state ranked Number Four nationwide to a place that ranks a very sad Number Forty-One...trust me, if anyone can read your application you're in! (Well, with a drastic salary cut.) But remember: always wear shoes to your job interview, even if you know you won't be required to arrive at school later with them.

Yet again, a "Move To Tennessee" campaign in the middle of a thread that has, well, nothing...I mean absolutely zero...to do with Tennessee.

Diane, I can't believe you're staying up until 1:00 in the morning to continue trying to punch your state into everyone's personal space. One would think, with all that culture, all those high times, a fabulous house in the perfect neighborhood and PLENTY of neighbors who are incredibly welcoming and want to be friends, you wouldn't have to be staying up until the moon rises to continue trying to convince other people how great it is there.

Just curious, what in holy heck did your post have to do with N. v. S. NJ? It didn't even tie into the post you're quoting...she already made her decision and it isn't Tennessee. (scratching head) I mean..."here".

Old 09-02-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGS69 View Post
I grew up in Old Bridge (Middlesex County) and moved to "South Jersey" (first Voorhees in Camden County and now Delran in Burlington County) in 1996. I've been somewhat miserable ever since. Procrastination, mainly, prevented me from moving back to the "Central Jersey" area while the disparity in real estate prices between the 2 areas was not too great. Now the disparity is downright ridiculous and it's almost impossible for me to consider a move without "regressing" from a single family house in a nice neighborhood to either a single family house in a less nice neighborhood or a condo in a decent town.

While growing up in Old Bridge, I basically considered everything North of the Woodbridge/Edison area as "North Jersey", everything between there and Route 195 as "Central Jersey", and everything South of Route 195 as "South Jersey". Other than taking the train to NYC, I would avoid travelling North of New Brunswick at all costs. The "North Jersey" that I knew was crowded, dirty, and ugly. Anything I needed to get or wanted to do (except for NYC based entertainment) could be had in "Central Jersey" for the most part. Being enamored with essentially non-commercial boardwalk shore towns, I am most fond of Monmouth County (where I spent most of my free/recreational time when I lived in Old Bridge, which is right on the Monmouth County border).

While I never really cared for the overt NYC influence over "Central Jersey" (news, sports, etc.), the Philadelphia influence over "South Jersey" is nauseating. I'm not sure why, but it just bothers me. The best I can describe it as is that because there is less, though by no means absent, "culture" (for lack of a better word) in the Philadelphia metro area (versus the NYC metro area), things such as "Eagles football" fill the void and are rammed down your throat ad nauseum. I don't remember it being that way where I grew up. Another thing that I have noticed is that in "South Jersey" it seems that areas/towns/neighborhoods are either nice or trashy; there seems to be no middle ground. Whereas, from my experiences in "Central Jersey", there seemed to be a broader spectrum. I guess this speaks to the overall economic health of each region (more/better paying jobs in the North, etc.).

Where I grew up, sandwiches on long rolls, stuffed with meats and cheeses were called "subs"; where I live now, they are called "hoagies". Also I have found that it's almost impossible to find decent pizza ANYWHERE in "South Jersey". I find that a lot of people in "South Jersey" pronounce certain words differently than where I grew up. For instance, "chocolate" and "sausage" seem to be pronounced "chAHclet" and "sAHsej" in "South Jersey" instead of the "chAWWclet" and "sAWWsej" that I grew up with. Way out of town shore visitors are (derogatorily) referred to as "Bennies" in Northern shore towns and as "Shoobies" in Southern shore towns. Did I mention that you cannot find good pizza ANYWHERE in "South Jersey"?

One thing I have noticed that has drastically changed in the past 11 years since I moved away from Old Bridge is that in the East Brunswick/New Brunswick area (just North of Old Bridge) you would think that you were in a Spanish speaking country when you walk into a lot of stores. This was not the case prior to my move in 1996.

I could go on about this topic forever, as I have thought about it a lot over the past 11 years. Basically, I appreciate the lower real estate prices and relatively less traffic congestion in "South Jersey". But I miss the proximity to NYC, Monmouth County shore towns, remaining friends and family that have not moved away, and the GOOD PIZZA that "Central Jersey" offers. As far as "North Jersey" goes, you can keep it; all I need with it is to "cut through" on a NJ Transit train to NYC.
That is true about East Brunswick. My son lives in Old Bridge and he keeps passing this place I went into to get Italian Eats, Well now they have a pig they are roasting outside and they are on Rt 18! They had plates of Barbeque, Pig, Ribs, and he said the people standing in line looked like Hillybillys. He got a huge plate for $7

Old 09-02-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
A while ago on NJ101.5 (I actually hate 101.5 but the traffic and weather is great) they did a bit about different NJ Barbies. Short Hills Barbie came with a Louis Vitton bag, a Mercedes, and "Workaholic Ken." Then there was something like Wrightstown Barbie that came with a mobile home, a pack of Marlboro Reds, and cutoff jean shorts...lol
NJ 101.5 was one of the few things I liked about NJ, They told it like it is. I like Dennis and Judy. I don't listen to talk radio here because its mostly sports(football) or political.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
OP, and they'd be thrilled to have you! You'd be taking your experience teaching in a state ranked Number Four nationwide to a place that ranks a very sad Number Forty-One...trust me, if anyone can read your application you're in! (Well, with a drastic salary cut.) But remember: always wear shoes to your job interview, even if you know you won't be required to arrive at school later with them.

Yet again, a "Move To Tennessee" campaign in the middle of a thread that has, well, nothing...I mean absolutely zero...to do with Tennessee.

Diane, I can't believe you're staying up until 1:00 in the morning to continue trying to punch your state into everyone's personal space. One would think, with all that culture, all those high times, a fabulous house in the perfect neighborhood and PLENTY of neighbors who are incredibly welcoming and want to be friends, you wouldn't have to be staying up until the moon rises to continue trying to convince other people how great it is there.

Just curious, what in holy heck did your post have to do with N. v. S. NJ? It didn't even tie into the post you're quoting...she already made her decision and it isn't Tennessee. (scratching head) I mean..."here".
No, , its Central time here! Your not bright enough to know where a time zone changes. Also Check Ravenwood HS in Brentwood, TN, Its test scores surpass a lot in NJ. Besides I was working.
Ravenwood High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you notice ACT VS SAT, Princeton will also take ACT which includes Math, English and Science which the SAT doesn't include.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:19 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
No, your up to 1am, its Central time here! Your not bright enough to know where a time zone changes.
I'm bright enough not to spell it "your".

Good work taking one single school and claiming its rankings make the entire state of Tennessee rank riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight up there with New Jersey.

Dear. You are, as a state, number 41. NUMber FORty one. NUMBER FORTY ONE. Shall I type slower so that you have more time to read it?

A 4. And then a 1.

See, that's the difference: New Jersey just has the 4.

Now do you understand?

Or is that part of NJ's inferiority? 'Cause y'all got a biggah numbah? Got that thar "one" stuck raht on the end ti' prove it?

p.s. "Working"? Wow. At least jobs are a whole heck of a lot demanding down there. I don't know of any bosses in the awful northeast that would allow plenty of for-amusement web surfing. Maybe that's part of what you found awful about the northeast? When you're working...you need to work? I don't know that for a fact, I'm just throwing it out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey