Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 8,955 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Old Bridge (Middlesex County) and moved to "South Jersey" (first Voorhees in Camden County and now Delran in Burlington County) in 1996. I've been somewhat miserable ever since. Procrastination, mainly, prevented me from moving back to the "Central Jersey" area while the disparity in real estate prices between the 2 areas was not too great. Now the disparity is downright ridiculous and it's almost impossible for me to consider a move without "regressing" from a single family house in a nice neighborhood to either a single family house in a less nice neighborhood or a condo in a decent town.

While growing up in Old Bridge, I basically considered everything North of the Woodbridge/Edison area as "North Jersey", everything between there and Route 195 as "Central Jersey", and everything South of Route 195 as "South Jersey". Other than taking the train to NYC, I would avoid travelling North of New Brunswick at all costs. The "North Jersey" that I knew was crowded, dirty, and ugly. Anything I needed to get or wanted to do (except for NYC based entertainment) could be had in "Central Jersey" for the most part. Being enamored with essentially non-commercial boardwalk shore towns, I am most fond of Monmouth County (where I spent most of my free/recreational time when I lived in Old Bridge, which is right on the Monmouth County border).

While I never really cared for the overt NYC influence over "Central Jersey" (news, sports, etc.), the Philadelphia influence over "South Jersey" is nauseating. I'm not sure why, but it just bothers me. The best I can describe it as is that because there is less, though by no means absent, "culture" (for lack of a better word) in the Philadelphia metro area (versus the NYC metro area), things such as "Eagles football" fill the void and are rammed down your throat ad nauseum. I don't remember it being that way where I grew up. Another thing that I have noticed is that in "South Jersey" it seems that areas/towns/neighborhoods are either nice or trashy; there seems to be no middle ground. Whereas, from my experiences in "Central Jersey", there seemed to be a broader spectrum. I guess this speaks to the overall economic health of each region (more/better paying jobs in the North, etc.).

Where I grew up, sandwiches on long rolls, stuffed with meats and cheeses were called "subs"; where I live now, they are called "hoagies". Also I have found that it's almost impossible to find decent pizza ANYWHERE in "South Jersey". I find that a lot of people in "South Jersey" pronounce certain words differently than where I grew up. For instance, "chocolate" and "sausage" seem to be pronounced "chAHclet" and "sAHsej" in "South Jersey" instead of the "chAWWclet" and "sAWWsej" that I grew up with. Way out of town shore visitors are (derogatorily) referred to as "Bennies" in Northern shore towns and as "Shoobies" in Southern shore towns. Did I mention that you cannot find good pizza ANYWHERE in "South Jersey"?

One thing I have noticed that has drastically changed in the past 11 years since I moved away from Old Bridge is that in the East Brunswick/New Brunswick area (just North of Old Bridge) you would think that you were in a Spanish speaking country when you walk into a lot of stores. This was not the case prior to my move in 1996.

I could go on about this topic forever, as I have thought about it a lot over the past 11 years. Basically, I appreciate the lower real estate prices and relatively less traffic congestion in "South Jersey". But I miss the proximity to NYC, Monmouth County shore towns, remaining friends and family that have not moved away, and the GOOD PIZZA that "Central Jersey" offers. As far as "North Jersey" goes, you can keep it; all I need with it is to "cut through" on a NJ Transit train to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 AM

468 posts, read 580,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseycity79 View Post
South Jersey residents refer to Philadelphia as "the city", where as N. Jersey and Central Jersey refer to New York as "the city".But, people from Central Jersey don't consider themselves S.Jersey or North Jersey.
When I lived in central Jersey(Manville)most people I talked to all went to New York to party,they didn't even mention Philly.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:52 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGS69 View Post
I grew up in Old Bridge (Middlesex County) and moved to "South Jersey" (first Voorhees in Camden County and now Delran in Burlington County) in 1996. I've been somewhat miserable ever since. Procrastination, mainly, prevented me from moving back to the "Central Jersey" area while the disparity in real estate prices between the 2 areas was not too great. Now the disparity is downright ridiculous and it's almost impossible for me to consider a move without "regressing" from a single family house in a nice neighborhood to either a single family house in a less nice neighborhood or a condo in a decent town.
While I never really cared for the overt NYC influence over "Central Jersey" (news, sports, etc.), the Philadelphia influence over "South Jersey" is nauseating. I'm not sure why, but it just bothers me. The best I can describe it as is that because there is less, though by no means absent, "culture" (for lack of a better word) in the Philadelphia metro area (versus the NYC metro area), things such as "Eagles football" fill the void and are rammed down your throat ad nauseum. I don't remember it being that way where I grew up. Another thing that I have noticed is that in "South Jersey" it seems that areas/towns/neighborhoods are either nice or trashy; there seems to be no middle ground. Whereas, from my experiences in "Central Jersey", there seemed to be a broader spectrum. I guess this speaks to the overall economic health of each region (more/better paying jobs in the North, etc.).
Way out of town shore visitors are (derogatorily) referred to as "Bennies" in Northern shore towns and as "Shoobies" in Southern shore towns.
One thing I have noticed that has drastically changed in the past 11 years since I moved away from Old Bridge is that in the East Brunswick/New Brunswick area (just North of Old Bridge) you would think that you were in a Spanish speaking country when you walk into a lot of stores. This was not the case prior to my move in 1996.
I could go on about this topic forever, as I have thought about it a lot over the past 11 years.
You said it! I give ya points for that! Words like miserable,nauseating,trashy,and derogatory describe the south Jersey/PHILA area very well! Oh yeah and speaking of spanish,have you ever driven down Route 130 through Camden? All spanish grocers.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:16 PM

267 posts, read 950,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGS69 View Post
While I never really cared for the overt NYC influence over "Central Jersey" (news, sports, etc.), the Philadelphia influence over "South Jersey" is nauseating. I'm not sure why, but it just bothers me. The best I can describe it as is that because there is less, though by no means absent, "culture" (for lack of a better word) in the Philadelphia metro area (versus the NYC metro area), things such as "Eagles football" fill the void and are rammed down your throat ad nauseum. I don't remember it being that way where I grew up.
Wow, you speak the truth my friend! Our experience has been exactly the same. We'd really like back into North Jersey, but the real estate game has passed us by in a few short years. The whole rah rah Philly stuff IS sickening!! They start them young like the Hitler youth...

Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM

30 posts, read 135,042 times
For such a small state it is amazing the regional differences we have in NJ. I was raised less than a mile from the Hudson River in the shadows of the GW Bridge and the Lincoln Tunnel. I know, tunnels don't cast shadows - stay with me.

When I think of N Jersey, I think of - hills, NYC, lakes, maple trees, malls, heros, bagels and italian restaurants, Hudson County Park (we had no idea who James J Braddock was and that this was his park), exploring by the Hudson (LONG before the condos and ferries), commuter train stations in little towns, a new town virtually every other mile, skipping school and taking a bus into NYC, the Hudson almost completely frozen over in early February, sitting in traffic going to a Yankee or Mets game (I was raised in mixed household - parents Yankee fans/children Mets fans), sitting on the Major Deegan after a Yankee game, hiking near the NJ/PA/NY border, tailgating for the Giants, the US Open as the unofficial last rite of summer, path trains from Hoboken, pumpkin patches, apple picking and farmers markets.

I remember Mays and Octobers so remarkable that they erased March and August from my memory, year after year.

When I think of S Jersey, I think of - rolling hills and fields, Seaside and Wildwood when I was younger and mischievous, Cape May and Belmar and LBI as I got older, crushing traffic on the Parkway(both directions), trying to outguess the masses when heading home from a holiday weekend, the Philadelphia Flower show ever March - getting an early glimpse of spring to make it through those last few weeks before crocuses started blooming, dumplings in Chinatown right after the Flower show, Princeton in the fall, the Ben Franklin bridge, the boardwalk, the sand, summer concerts, Bruce in Asbury Park (seems like everyone but me saw him at the Stone Pony), the Toms River flooding almost every year, great little league teams from Toms River (almost every year), the little towns along the Delaware (in my memory, that's S Jersey), light houses, italian ices, seagulls and the surf.

I think of hot summer days made (seemingly) ten degrees cooler as soon as I got to the beach.

I can't think of NJ without also thinking of NYC and Philly. It's no less an amazing place for that. It was sandwiched between, for a long time in our national history, the two largest cities in the country. It's no wonder that no comparable city exists to mark NJ - so what.

When I come home, I remember the things I love and am reminded of the reasons I left.

The difference? I think the dividing line between the MidAtlantic states and NewEngland runs smack through the middle of NJ - and we are the more fortunate for it.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:04 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,975,644 times
I grew up in Hamilton, just south of Trenton. My mother's family all came from Trenton and still lived there. They were very much "city oriented" as my grandfather worked in and around the Statehouse, they took trips to New York and Philadelphia, and they all worked, played, ate, and lived within Trenton. Of course it was different city then, but that's a whole other can of worms. My father, on the other hand, grew up on a small farm in Hamilton, which was also a very different place then. His parents were farmers from Burlington County and most of my ancestors came from there and points south. Therefore I feel like I've lived my entire life stradding North Jersey and South Jersey and urban Jersey and rural Jersey. Not only is the Greater Trenton area about as dead center as it gets geographically, its the crossroads of the Jersey cultures.

In terms of sports, there are two in my house: hockey and football. My grandfather from Trenton was a lifelong diehard Giants fan, which I inherited, much the chagrin of my Eagle fan friends growing up. My father immediately took a liking to the Devils when they came to New Jersey in the early '80s, so once again, I was indoctrinated in North Jersey sports. To this day I reserve my most virulent hatred for the Flyers. However, though I lost it a little now that I'm older and have traveled a bit, I, like both of my parents say the words home and phone a little funny, and we say wooder instead of water. I also call pork roll "pork roll" instead of "taylor ham."

I went to school in North Jersey (Caldwell College) which got me accustomed to the Essex County area and "Dirty Jersey." I lived in Orange, took the PATH from Harrison to "the city," and dearly missed my beloved Wawa. I really grew to hate everything north of I-195, until I fell in love with a "North" Jersey girl-I say "North" because she's from Sussex County, which is a far cry from the kind of girls I met from Bloomfield, Weehawken, and North Bergen. Still though, Sussex is much different than the wilderness I knew growing up. Likewise, my girlfriend was bewildered the first time I took her to the Pine Barrens simply because they were so flat.

In short, New Jersey has a huge amount of contrasts, which, ultimately I think is a good thing. It's pretty cool to have a small state that is so different in so many ways. The mountains near High Point are completely different than the Pygmy Pines near Lacey, which is not at all like Cape May, which is totally unlike the flatlands of Cumberland County, which doesn't compare to Sandy Hook.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:17 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I fell in love with a "North" Jersey girl-I say "North" because she's from Sussex County, which is a far cry from the kind of girls I met from Bloomfield, Weehawken, and North Bergen.
Couldn't agree with you more. Girls in the Bergen, Hudson, Essex area are the WORST. To call these females high maintenance and gold diggers would be speaking of them too kindly.

Give me a South Jersey girl anytime over one of these disasters up here.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:41 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. Girls in the Bergen, Hudson, Essex area are the WORST. To call these females high maintenance and gold diggers would be speaking of them too kindly.

Uhh be careful what you wish for...

Old 08-31-2007, 01:44 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,975,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post

Harsh! Still, my girlfriend, like me, is a mixture. She grew up with New York sports, the Short Hills Mall, etc...but she prefers the rocks and trees of Sussex County to the steel and concrete of New York City. I think one of the biggest differences in New Jersey is simply urban and rural. Folks from places like High Point, Liberty, and Hampton are nothing like folks from Westfield, Essex Fells, and Paramus. Likewise, Cherry Hill and Moorestown are a lot different than Chatsworth and Tabernacle.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:50 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Harsh! Still, my girlfriend, like me, is a mixture. She grew up with New York sports, the Short Hills Mall, etc...but she prefers the rocks and trees of Sussex County to the steel and concrete of New York City. I think one of the biggest differences in New Jersey is simply urban and rural. Folks from places like High Point, Liberty, and Hampton are nothing like folks from Westfield, Essex Fells, and Paramus. Likewise, Cherry Hill and Moorestown are a lot different than Chatsworth and Tabernacle.
LOL! I'm a Hudson Cnty girl and I ASSURE you, I'm not a golddigger nor high maintenance. I've certainly met many growing up (hell, I'm even good friends with one!), and it chaps my hide to no end to see women never lift a finger to support themselves.

I'm in Morris Cnty now, and honestly, pound for pound, I'm seeing more high maintenance HERE than I ever did in Hudson County. Driving the beemers, taking tennis lessons, going to the swim club, having the cleaning service, dripping in jewels. Oh well. Not my concern. Maybe I'm jealous b/c I'm a working stiff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey