Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 06:03 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No one on assistance programs would be able to afford affordable housing, as they do not accept section 8 and are not subsidized. If they don't have the income to pay the rent comfortably they won't be selected. But it is not for people on welfare, SNAP, etc.

I don't think it's a way to buy votes, nor does it require any changes to the town, nor does it require high density housing. Like I said, in Ocean City they built 5 duplexes and put them in various neighborhoods, for a total of 10 rental units, and that is enough to satisfy the mandate.
Interesting range of incomes and asset limits.

https://warrennj.org/DocumentCenter/...-Limits?bidId=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:
No one on assistance programs would be able to afford affordable housing, as they do not accept section 8 and are not subsidized. If they don't have the income to pay the rent comfortably they won't be selected. But it is not for people on welfare, SNAP, etc.

I don't think it's a way to buy votes, nor does it require any changes to the town, nor does it require high density housing. Like I said, in Ocean City they built 5 duplexes and put them in various neighborhoods, for a total of 10 rental units, and that is enough to satisfy the mandate.
Oh I don't know....

The Woods at Warren:

"The development will serve households with incomes at or below 60 percent area medium income(AMI) with 8 units at 20 percent AMI, 3 units at 30 percent AMI, 29 units at 50 percent AMI and 40 units at 60 percent AMI.

Additionally, five supportive housing units will be set aside for homeless residents, referred by the Somerset County Continuum of Care. Services for supportive housing residents will be designed to allow tenants to remain self-sufficient.

There will also be three units that will receive a Section 811 subsidy under the Money Follows the Person Housing Partnership Program and will be set aside for individuals leaving development centers and/or qualified individuals ages 18 to 61 who are transitioning from nursing facilities to community settings."

https://patch.com/new-jersey/warren/...mmunity-warren

Old 03-24-2024, 09:44 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,771,856 times
so the goal it to make every town economically, ethnically, and every other ally the same? I think what you will see is rich towns will start to merge with smaller poor town and then all of the "poor" people will be in one little area.

Old 03-24-2024, 12:16 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,006,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
They need to set rent control for the entire state too for EVERY single Landlord. Also, force every town to offer at least 40% of apartment units based on income. Affordable housing is a human right. Furthermore, ANCHOR doesn't even cover a month's rent.
if there is no money in being a landlord there won't be rentals.

Old 03-24-2024, 01:52 PM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Meanwhile over in Millburn things are getting hot!

My guess is poor little Millburn will be made an example of out of gate with this new law.

https://gothamist.com/news/a-wealthy...ould-be-costly
Yup. Once you force well-to-do progressives to put their money and properties where they're mouths are they ain't quite so progressive after all

Old 03-24-2024, 04:00 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
so the goal it to make every town economically, ethnically, and every other ally the same? I think what you will see is rich towns will start to merge with smaller poor town and then all of the "poor" people will be in one little area.

It doesn't require changing the entire town. Like I have said, Ocean City built 5 duplexes, that is all they needed to meet the requirement. They are all in different areas, too, not in one place. This notion that it must be high density housing is inaccurate.

Towns can also build senior housing to meet the requirement.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:27 PM

131 posts, read 137,383 times
NJ population is hardly growing. There's plenty of affordable housing, just not in the desirable towns. Developers on the other hand are all for building in the nice areas since that is where they make the big profits.

Old 03-24-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoj View Post
NJ population is hardly growing. There's plenty of affordable housing, just not in the desirable towns. Developers on the other hand are all for building in the nice areas since that is where they make the big profits.
It varies by person or persons but most moving to parts of NJ or other suburbs are doing so based upon quality of schools, activities for the kids, access to services (such as healthcare) and so forth.

On all those scores and more affluent areas generally beat urban hands down.

As have said liberals/democrats long ago realized this and it was where they made mistakes in civil rights era. Whites and anyone with sense fled urban areas for suburbs taking with them their money, wealth, talent and industry.

Whenever you read about "affordable" or "low income" housing busting suburbs or affluent areas you also hear same words "giving people access to same...."

Millburn is going to be busted no matter what town government thinks they will do. Then their precious school system will start seeing different sort of students. If those students need "assistance" then Millburn will be forced to provide or parents of same will go to court and force town to do so.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:56 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It varies by person or persons but most moving to parts of NJ or other suburbs are doing so based upon quality of schools, activities for the kids, access to services (such as healthcare) and so forth.

On all those scores and more affluent areas generally beat urban hands down.

As have said liberals/democrats long ago realized this and it was where they made mistakes in civil rights era. Whites and anyone with sense fled urban areas for suburbs taking with them their money, wealth, talent and industry.

Whenever you read about "affordable" or "low income" housing busting suburbs or affluent areas you also hear same words "giving people access to same...."

Millburn is going to be busted no matter what town government thinks they will do. Then their precious school system will start seeing different sort of students. If those students need "assistance" then Millburn will be forced to provide or parents of same will go to court and force town to do so.
Affordable housing is not the same as low income housing. Affordable housing is not subsidized debt and they don’t accept section 8. Np one on public assistance would be accepted because their income wouldn’t be high enough. In Ocean City, the multi bedroom units in the 5 duplexes they built are as high as $1600+ a month. It’s not cheap housing necessarily just cheaper than market rent.

Ocean City has had over 200 applicants for their 10 units. I don’t think the ghetto is coming to Ocean City. I think they are regular people, teachers and service workers who work in but can’t afford to live in the area otherwise. All the information about them emphasizes that you must have sufficient income to pay the rent.

I feel like a lot of people are conflating these with low income high density housing. This is not that.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:48 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Affordable housing is not the same as low income housing. Affordable housing is not subsidized debt and they don’t accept section 8. Np one on public assistance would be accepted because their income wouldn’t be high enough. In Ocean City, the multi bedroom units in the 5 duplexes they built are as high as $1600+ a month. It’s not cheap housing necessarily just cheaper than market rent.

Ocean City has had over 200 applicants for their 10 units. I don’t think the ghetto is coming to Ocean City. I think they are regular people, teachers and service workers who work in but can’t afford to live in the area otherwise. All the information about them emphasizes that you must have sufficient income to pay the rent.

I feel like a lot of people are conflating these with low income high density housing. This is not that.
Exactly!!! I think some are envisioning project like housing they had in urban areas years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey