Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 36,602 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to New Jersey. Does anyone know of any gay friendly towns in the state? Any word on whether Maplewood and South Orange are still good places for gays a lesbians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2006, 08:10 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Cape May. The ex-governor (and now Oprah's new pal) used to hang out there while he was the governor. (Many of us knew what his wife later claimed not to.) Very tolerant atmosphere - live and let live. Pretty town too.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:16 PM

9 posts, read 128,530 times
Default Plainfield & Montclair

Someone I know just moved to Plainfield (in Middlesex Co) and he said he and his wife were the "only heterosexual couple on the block"! And I hear that Montclair (in Essex Co) is a pretty liberal and gay-friendly town.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:41 AM

20 posts, read 191,070 times
I have a friend who lives in Ocean Grove, she says a good part of the town is gay.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:56 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I don't know of any towns in NJ that wouldn't be gay-friendly.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:06 PM

69 posts, read 492,072 times
asbury park is a great place

Old 09-24-2006, 07:26 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
I don't think it matters what town because I don't know of any that are openly gay-UNfriendly...so I wouldn't see a problem in most places.

Sorry, I just realized that someone else said that too....I guess it's pretty accurate though.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
If NJ is anything like PA (and from what I'm told we're the "Morlocks" and Garden Staters are the "Eloi" LOL!), then by all means avoid moving to a housing development! I don't know why, but suburban subdivisions (the non-descript ones with the vinyl-siding, two-car garages, and neutral decor) tend to breed the "anti-EVERYTHINGS" in droves! Here in Scranton's 'burbs, "NIMBY" people are a dime a dozen; Only getting to actually socialize with each other when they're banding together to try to drive out some sort of "undesirable change." In my own housing development, there was an uproar when a lesbian couple from Philadelphia wanted to purchase a home in the neighborhood---I was ashamed to see such childish behavior coming from people who are supposed to be "college-educated professionals!" People seem to be afraid of the unknown---Keep that in mind if you plan to move to a community with a very "closeted" gay population (a.k.a. SCRANTON! Sniffle, sniffle!)

Old 09-25-2006, 07:39 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
New Jersey is probably one of the most gay-friendly states in the nation. That's not to say that there's areas where you won't get stares or remarks and hassled and such as there are some of that everywhere, even in parts of San Francisco, but just that as a whole, it seems to be not much of an issue in most of New Jersey. It seems like most people in New Jersey have at least one gay friend, neighbor, co-worker or relative so it's not so foreign and frightening a concept to them as it is in other parts of the country. Of course there's a correlation between acceptance of gays and an area's income level, education level (smarter people are more accepting; and this goes hand in hand with income level as generally the more educated, the wealthier a person/area is) and location (more urban, more accepting), which is something that holds true across the nation.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 61,211 times
Maplewood is very gay friendly and is especially accomodating to families with children. The new town administrator is gay & lives in town. Check out the chat board at www.maplewoodonline.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey