Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:53 PM

741 posts, read 3,512,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinginNJ View Post
I think Perth Amboy is much more creepy than South Amboy...really. When taking the north jersey coast line of NJ Transit, that was a creepy, ugly station and driving through it does not present a pretty picture.

I lived in CNJ for 3 years and Keansburg, some parts of W. Long Branch and Asbury Park were not the most inviting of towns, to say the least.

I also get my hair done in Montclair (not upper montclair--that is absolutely beautiful). Some parts are very ugly--too close to E. Orange which is just as scary to me as Irvington and Newark. Orange is creepy too....whoo-boy!
Pretty soon all of NJ will be Creepy

Old 08-23-2006, 07:26 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,758,304 times
Has anyone mentioned Elizabeth? The lovely city everyone who flies into Newark gets to smell...I mean see?

Remember when NJ was trying to come up with a new slogan? When I heard a runner up was "Love at first sight" I almost fell off my chair.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:45 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,910,638 times
Talking LOL-slogan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom View Post
Has anyone mentioned Elizabeth? The lovely city everyone who flies into Newark gets to smell...I mean see?

Remember when NJ was trying to come up with a new slogan? When I heard a runner up was "Love at first sight" I almost fell off my chair.
woohoo- "Love at First Sight" was that gem thought up by ol'Jimmy McGrevy? Would that be "Love on the beach in Cape May" heehee....Ya gotta laugh

Old 08-23-2006, 11:20 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,333,066 times
NJ itself is in a downward spiral...however, there are still some great parts (if you weed through the bad ones). However, although I emphasized what a hell hole Newark and Camden are, I agree, Irvington and Elizabeth aren't too far behind. I won't drive through any of those places...what about the Oranges (Orange, East Orange and South Orange, ugh). West Orange even has some questionable sections. Paterson, Jersey City, Union City, my God the list just goes on and on. Then of course you have your way down south and way up north trashy areas which are slightly different from city trash but hey, trash is trash.

BTW, anybody hear about good ole' Sharp James (Newark) and his trips to Rio????? It's all catching up now.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 39,679 times
You all have to remember, NORTH Jersey and SOUTH Jersey are totally different (and should be. Here in SJ, except for taxes and insurance, like the rest of this corrupt state, most of the small towns are nice. AC is not that bad, yeah there are certain parts that I wouldn't walk in after dark but what city anywhere in the world doesn't have places like that. If it weren't for the high cost of living here, I would stay in SJ forever.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:16 AM

12 posts, read 115,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
NJ itself is in a downward spiral...however, there are still some great parts (if you weed through the bad ones). However, although I emphasized what a hell hole Newark and Camden are, I agree, Irvington and Elizabeth aren't too far behind. I won't drive through any of those places...what about the Oranges (Orange, East Orange and South Orange, ugh). West Orange even has some questionable sections. Paterson, Jersey City, Union City, my God the list just goes on and on. Then of course you have your way down south and way up north trashy areas which are slightly different from city trash but hey, trash is trash.

BTW, anybody hear about good ole' Sharp James (Newark) and his trips to Rio????? It's all catching up now.
You can NOT bunch South Orange and West Orange with the poor towns of Orange and East Orange. They are completely different. The South and West are beautiful in comparison, the population is completely different (middle and upper middle class to rich folks), and the school system is completely different as well. I just moved to SO, and though the close proximity to the poorer towns is the one drawback to the place, it's quiet and pretty (and 35 minute commute to NYC, which is hard to beat).

Old 08-24-2006, 12:05 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,354,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivivixx View Post
You all have to remember, NORTH Jersey and SOUTH Jersey are totally different (and should be. Here in SJ, except for taxes and insurance, like the rest of this corrupt state, most of the small towns are nice. AC is not that bad, yeah there are certain parts that I wouldn't walk in after dark but what city anywhere in the world doesn't have places like that. If it weren't for the high cost of living here, I would stay in SJ forever.
I often cross the Commadore Barry just to buy the great Jersey corn, peaches and other goodies in season. Always loved Gloucester County, but now all the farm land is being replaced by horrid, McMansions all along Rte 322. Can't say that I blame the farmers for selling out for millions, though. Their children don't want to carry on the tradition; machinery, parts and feed are getting further and further away: it's a tough life. My Great-Grandparents, whom I've never net, used to be farmers in Pedricktown which I believe is Salem County (home of the monster Nuclear reactor).

Old 08-24-2006, 12:34 PM

741 posts, read 3,512,617 times
I have to add, South Jersey towns that are nice to live in, except of course for taxes, Point Pleasant, Brick township, Tom's River, Parts of Manchester, Part's of Howell, Mantoloking, Pine beach, Beachwood, Bayville, and Manahawkin( home of 105.7 classic rock) These area's are still very nice, schools are good, and overall safe area's. These are all in Ocean County. Some nice area's in Monmouth County are Hazlet, Middletown, Keyport, Union Beach. Middlesex County-- Old Bridge, Sayreville, Part's of Matawan.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:56 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,333,066 times
FormerNYC: I'm sorry you feel offended by what I've said, however, I stand strong in my statement, I've lived in North Jersey my whole life and I wouldn't live in any of the Oranges. Even the nicer ones still have some questionable areas, and quite honestly, they're just too close to the bad ones.

vivivixx: Yes, North and South Jersey are completely different, however, they both have some very bad sections.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:33 PM

9 posts, read 82,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
I have to add, South Jersey towns that are nice to live in, except of course for taxes, Point Pleasant, Brick township, Tom's River, Parts of Manchester, Part's of Howell, Mantoloking, Pine beach, Beachwood, Bayville, and Manahawkin( home of 105.7 classic rock) These area's are still very nice, schools are good, and overall safe area's. These are all in Ocean County. Some nice area's in Monmouth County are Hazlet, Middletown, Keyport, Union Beach. Middlesex County-- Old Bridge, Sayreville, Part's of Matawan.
Union beach is nice but it aint all that nice (I know this first hand. We still have relatives who live there). It is not an unsafe town, but it is quite trashy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey