Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,785 times

Advertisements

Will the spill in the gulf screw with our seafood or are we safe??? I got an oyster habit I gotta maintain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 07:18 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,045 times
The thought of that is absolutely horrifying and it is certainly possible. My heart goes out to those on the gulf coast. This man made disaster has stolen the livelihood of the fishermen along the gulf and will be wreaking unimaginable havoc not just now but for decades to come. Call me crazy, but I think if you can't prevent such a catastrophe from occurring you have no business out there drilling (just my opinion)

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Hurricanes, loop currents are concerns for oil slick (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/31192/hurricanes_loop_current_are_co.asp - broken link)

Old 05-07-2010, 09:15 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Call me crazy, but I think if you can't prevent such a catastrophe from occurring you have no business out there drilling...
Right on, neece. I guess it's not an accurate assessment, but I'm left with the distinct impression that oil spill contingency plans include two steps:
1) drag out the booms
2) worry about it later

Everything else BP has done is a "test" - burning it off , containment chamber, etc. Offshore drillling has been around a long time, and a major spill has always been a matter of "when", not "if". Proven containment methods should have been a prerequisite, constantly practiced and updated. Obviously, the oil companies have not been willing to take on that expense, and we certainly don't want big gov't interfering with free enterprise.

Unfortunately, we're going to pay the price now, and it's going to be huge, both economically and environmentally.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
The thought of that is absolutely horrifying and it is certainly possible. My heart goes out to those on the gulf coast. This man made disaster has stolen the livelihood of the fishermen along the gulf and will be wreaking unimaginable havoc not just now but for decades to come. Call me crazy, but I think if you can't prevent such a catastrophe from occurring you have no business out there drilling (just my opinion)

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Hurricanes, loop currents are concerns for oil slick (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/31192/hurricanes_loop_current_are_co.asp - broken link)
Its funny that even though BP has the worse safety record of any oil company and muti million dollar fines for breaking the rules for years THEY say ITS NOT THE FAULT BECAUSE IT WAS AN ACT OF GOD..... They think GOD needs to clean the mess up... I say boycott them from now on.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Its funny that even though BP has the worse safety record of any oil company and muti million dollar fines for breaking the rules for years THEY say ITS NOT THE FAULT BECAUSE IT WAS AN ACT OF GOD..... They think GOD needs to clean the mess up... I say boycott them from now on.
I've got to boycott because this poison could be in our food supply for years to come. Many people should goto prison on get executed the way the Chinese government would handle it.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM

540 posts, read 1,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
I've got to boycott because this poison could be in our food supply for years to come. Many people should goto prison on get executed the way the Chinese government would handle it.

Wow. Just wow. I wasn't aware we were part of China.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:22 PM

343 posts, read 726,362 times
I've been boycotting Exxon because of Valdez and Mobil merged with them so they're no good either. I've been boycotting Citgo because it's owned by that little moron in Venezuela. Now, I'm supposed to boycott BP who merged with Amoco. I'll have to buy a bike cause I won't know where to get gas any more.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:23 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,874,369 times
Right on, PD. It is unfathomable to me that a containment protocol was not part of the disaster recovery plan. My first thoughts when I heard they were working to engineer a fix was, are you freakin' kidding me???? You are working to engineer a fix for something of this magnitude AFTER it happens? The fact that there is not some regulatory agency reviewing disaster recovery protocol before licensing such operations off of our shores, impacting our global food suppy, is eye-opening. I'm usually less in favor of government regulation except when it comes to monitoring the safety of our drugs, food supply and environmental pollutants. We only have one Earth...there is nowhere else to run so we should all care about this......

Old 05-10-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
Wow. Just wow. I wasn't aware we were part of China.
I'm open to suggestion! Please share what you think the penalty should be for poisoning millions of gallons of water, destroying tons of food, and putting thousands of people out of work/business. Perhaps you believe the ocean is a magical place that will just buck off the poisons but it doesn't work anywhere near that way. We've got a seriously big problem and these companies think nothing of crapping in the village well and watching us all fall ill. I'd say it's attempted mass murder, treason, a biblical level assault. What else could you call it?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:15 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
The first penalty should be that BP pays every dime of the cost..It it wipes them out thats ok as long as the ceos on down lose their jobs and have to spend the billions of assets the company has...Thery dug the hole and were there to claim every dime of profit that came out of the hole. Now its their turn to claim the bill for the mess they made....Their hole= their bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area