Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:35 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,880,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyharry View Post
Does anyone know if the gulf spill has reached MB? Or will it?
Hey HappyHarry....I posted a link with projections for impact to our region..... based on yesterday's information, that particular source indicated that our risk of impact is 1-2%....of course changing weather patterns or a hurricane could change that dramatically...... I've asked for folks to use this thread to post data as they find it so that we can stay on top of this situation......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
I was surprised to read that the probability of it having a direct impact on our area is so low. With it being hurricane season I would think our chances would be much greater (but I am pleased to read that they believe otherwise).

I do wonder if it will have an impact on tourism this summer. I would think people would be less likely to pre-plan a trip not knowing where it is going to land next. I also wonder if it will cause the housing prices along our coast to drop even more? I know if I was planning to buy an investment property I might think twice or at least postpone my plans for a while.

I can't help but feel hopeless when I see this on the news. My heart goes out to all those whose lives have been turned upside-down by this devastating catastrophe.
Yeah, I too was surprised that the risk assessment was low ....but I'm grateful and praying that this devastation doesn't spread further into the Florida everglades and up our beloved coast. I know that Florida's booking rates have already been significantly impacted .......If anything, at this point I would expect the East Coast tourism rates to increase and absorb some of the Gulf beach traffic. It certainly is NOT the way I would like to see our State increase tourism.....just a pragmatic assessment (guess). If I were you, I would wait to see if this mess spreads before buying any more SC coastal property....... just my own opinion.

Yes, it is such a hopeless feeling to see such a catastrophe continue for 7 weeks with no successful containment. I have friends on the Gulf Coast who have sent me photos of oil drenched wildlife. To think that the BEAUTIFUL gulf coast could become a dead sea zone for decades is simply stunningly sad. The fact that this was a completely unnecessary catastrophe driven by the greed of BP to take short cuts because they were spending $500,000 per day on the rig and it was weeks behind schedule only makes this situation that much more tragic..... Human greed will be the single driving force that dooms civilization.......

Old 06-07-2010, 05:36 PM

540 posts, read 1,681,604 times
I was happy to see that many people who had plans to vacation on the Gulf coast this past week didn't cancel. In fact, they went and helped clean up the coast. They showed people out with little sand pails and such "doing their part", one couple said. Was kind of heart warming seeing people do that.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
I was happy to see that many people who had plans to vacation on the Gulf coast this past week didn't cancel. In fact, they went and helped clean up the coast. They showed people out with little sand pails and such "doing their part", one couple said. Was kind of heart warming seeing people do that.
Very cool. The only hesitation I would have about getting out there and digging in to help is the report that lots of fisherman who have signed on with the clean-up efforts are becoming sick. I'm guessing is a combination of the toxicity of the crude and the dispersants that were used....... a real chemical soup. But I applaud the effort and that wonderful American spirit ..... BEING PART OF THE SOLUTION!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area