Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:25 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,832,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
The earth DOES bounce back. It's been here way longer than we have, just remember that...
Yes, the earth does bounce back, but we must remember that the frame of reference is much different for humans vs. the earth. If it takes 10,000 years to recover, that's a short time span as far as the earth is concerned. Long after humans have managed to obliterate our species on this planet, I'm sure the earth will go on recovering, probably for the better. We also need to remember that homo sapiens are fully capable of extinguishing other species on this planet. There are far too many examples of where that has happened through both intentional and unintentional actions. The earth will recover, but those species never will, and we are poorer because of that.

The fact that the earth will eventually recover can, in no way, justify irresponsible actions on anyone's part. BP is responsible for this tragedy, and should pay heavily. At the same time, I'm one of those wacky liberals who believe that gov't has a role in policing the greed and irresponsibility that free enterprise breeds. IMO, our federal gov't is also negligent in having allowed offshore drilling for years, without requiring the companies to have specific, proven, rehearsed contingencies in place for this type of accident, which any sane person knew must occur, sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,145,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Yes, the earth does bounce back, but we must remember that the frame of reference is much different for humans vs. the earth. If it takes 10,000 years to recover, that's a short time span as far as the earth is concerned. Long after humans have managed to obliterate our species on this planet, I'm sure the earth will go on recovering, probably for the better. We also need to remember that homo sapiens are fully capable of extinguishing other species on this planet. There are far too many examples of where that has happened through both intentional and unintentional actions. The earth will recover, but those species never will, and we are poorer because of that.

The fact that the earth will eventually recover can, in no way, justify irresponsible actions on anyone's part. BP is responsible for this tragedy, and should pay heavily. At the same time, I'm one of those wacky liberals who believe that gov't has a role in policing the greed and irresponsibility that free enterprise breeds. IMO, our federal gov't is also negligent in having allowed offshore drilling for years, without requiring the companies to have specific, proven, rehearsed contingencies in place for this type of accident, which any sane person knew must occur, sooner or later.
BP the worse rule breaker of all the oil companies cut deals to save money and gambled with OUR enviroment ..Its OURS not just the oil companies, THEY are responcible for the damageand they are already trying to 'cut more deals" to avoid paying the bill..

Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,876,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post

RIGHT ON, PD!!!! I'd give you 1000 rep points if I could for this one.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:35 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,547,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
I've got to boycott because this poison could be in our food supply for years to come. Many people should goto prison on get executed the way the Chinese government would handle it.
The Chinese government was the one that handed us dog food that killed our beloved pets, and contaminated baby food, not to mention the drywall disaster. They don't handle crap, and some of the biggest crooks in the world of trading.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,778,388 times
^^^^^Is that seriously all you got from my post and all the others?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM

38 posts, read 145,765 times
It might help if we knew how much money BP contributed to a politicians campaign.
This might determine how big the fine will be.

Strange, that out of 4000 wells in the Gulf, this one blew.
Preventer broken
Batteries dead-no one bothered to fix anything?
Lives lost is the priceless part.
And they didn't even follow the prescribed emergency procedures.
Sounds like involuntarily man slaughter for each man that died.

If you saw the 60 Minutes interview the employee stated why it all happened and who did it.

i hope it isn't just swept under the rug in the end, but don't be surprised if it is.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:45 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,876,602 times
Hey guys....can we use this thread to start posting some data about the likelihood of the spill impacting our coastal region? Should we start another thread? I'd like to have a place where all of us interested in monitoring the environmental impact can tap into information and resources like this one.......

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | What's the Probability the Gulf Oil Will Impact Your Coastal Spot? (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/32336/whats-the-probability-of-oil-o.asp - broken link)

Please post credible information and links so that we can build a repository of information.......

Old 06-04-2010, 06:20 AM

34 posts, read 97,594 times
Does anyone know if the gulf spill has reached MB? Or will it?

Old 06-04-2010, 06:35 AM

540 posts, read 1,679,867 times
It hasn't as of yet. The NOAA shows it still in the Gulf of Mexico. Some tar balls have washed ashore on the Alabama coast, but were cleaned up. We are on the Atlantic Ocean side. So far so good. Of course, this could change if a hurricane came. But we seem to be fine for now on that front as well.

The EPA has put up a link Where You Live | Beaches | US EPA (http://www.epa.gov/beaches/plan/whereyoulive_state.html - broken link) to check up on the beaches so you can plan accordingly.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:15 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Hey guys....can we use this thread to start posting some data about the likelihood of the spill impacting our coastal region? Should we start another thread? I'd like to have a place where all of us interested in monitoring the environmental impact can tap into information and resources like this one.......

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | What's the Probability the Gulf Oil Will Impact Your Coastal Spot? (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/32336/whats-the-probability-of-oil-o.asp - broken link)

Please post credible information and links so that we can build a repository of information.......
I was surprised to read that the probability of it having a direct impact on our area is so low. With it being hurricane season I would think our chances would be much greater (but I am pleased to read that they believe otherwise).

I do wonder if it will have an impact on tourism this summer. I would think people would be less likely to pre-plan a trip not knowing where it is going to land next. I also wonder if it will cause the housing prices along our coast to drop even more? I know if I was planning to buy an investment property I might think twice or at least postpone my plans for a while.

I can't help but feel hopeless when I see this on the news. My heart goes out to all those whose lives have been turned upside-down by this devastating catastrophe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area